Also I got another girl I am going to introduce to the sport. Is putting a newb on a bike that is for someone 6-8 inches shorter than her a big deal? This girl would be willing to rent a bike, if I said it was a big deal. I doubt she would ride it more than a few days before pulling the trigger on a much nicer bike.

I am also going to try to sell the same old bike to a shorter girl who is trying to get a bike for 50 dollars. This girl is an appropriate size for the bike.

On 3/21/2019 at 10:41 PM, Benski said:

Is putting a newb on a bike that is for someone 6-8 inches shorter than her a big deal?

In my opinion, yes, especially if there's any significant pedaling involved. Even if you can raise the seat post high enough, it's probably going to be quite uncomfortable. I'd say it's better to rent a correct sized bike for a better experience, rather than possibly turn her off from the sport. If she's seriously thinking about buying a bike, I bet you can find a shop that would let her demo.

On 3/21/2019 at 10:41 PM, Benski said:

Also I got another girl I am going to introduce to the sport. Is putting a newb on a bike that is for someone 6-8 inches shorter than her a big deal? This girl would be willing to rent a bike, if I said it was a big deal. I doubt she would ride it more than a few days before pulling the trigger on a much nicer bike.

I am also going to try to sell the same old bike to a shorter girl who is trying to get a bike for 50 dollars. This girl is an appropriate size for the bike.

I feel like I missed the beginning of this question.  Was there something before "Also..."?

Anyway, 6-8 inches is at least one bike size but more like two bike sizes different.  Think of anything you like to do. Now thing about doing it with something two sizes too small.  Put on some 2-sizes-too-small shoes and go for a run.  I promise that you'll hate running.  

2 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

I feel like I missed the beginning of this question.  Was there something before "Also..."?

Anyway, 6-8 inches is at least one bike size but more like two bike sizes different.  Think of anything you like to do. Now thing about doing it with something two sizes too small.  Put on some 2-sizes-too-small shoes and go for a run.  I promise that you'll hate running.  

I Switched the two paragraphs.

4 hours ago, 2manyhobbies said:

In my opinion, yes, especially if there's any significant pedaling involved. Even if you can raise the seat post high enough, it's probably going to be quite uncomfortable. I'd say it's better to rent a correct sized bike for a better experience, rather than possibly turn her off from the sport. If she's seriously thinking about buying a bike, I bet you can find a shop that would let her demo.

I asked around, it took me a while to find a bike shop that would rent/demo since most shops are worried about insurance. She will definitely pay for a rental. I don't know about buying a bike, but I assume if she likes it once, she will look into buying a bike immediately.