Cannonballer

Who knows what about wind direction??

Looking for first-hand expert knowledge about individual resorts and how they handle various wind directions.  In this case I'm especially calling on @Brad J to learn what he knows about Burke.  How does it handle NW wind? (I'm guessing not well).

I'll speak for Cannon.  NW is generally OK.  Although obviously once you get into the 40+ range like they are calling for tomorrow all bets are off.  Should be able to spin Zoomer at a minimum, and likely a few others.  South winds are the guaranteed shutdown for Cannon.

How about other spots (K, SB, SR, SL, Wildcat, etc)??   Who's knows the deal at their home mountain?

• Like 2

+1 on this info...I'm making a game time decision by the time I reach 93/89 but this intel would be very helpful.

Looking for first-hand expert knowledge about individual resorts and how they handle various wind directions.  In this case I'm especially calling on [mention=49]Brad J[/mention] to learn what he knows about Burke.  How does it handle NW wind? (I'm guessing not well).
I'll speak for Cannon.  NW is generally OK.  Although obviously once you get into the 40+ range like they are calling for tomorrow all bets are off.  Should be able to spin Zoomer at a minimum, and likely a few others.  South winds are the guaranteed shutdown for Cannon.
How about other spots (K, SB, SR, SL, Wildcat, etc)??   Who's knows the deal at their home mountain?

To be honest the only time I was there on a day there was wind hold it was also -15 degrees F, All the time I have been there wind has not been a real issue, the chair to the top is fairly low. the exposure is bad ,but it should run up the line and not across which causes the most problems ,  I will know tomorrow, there is always the new Tbar????

• Like 1

To be honest the only time I was there on a day there was wind hold it was also -15 degrees F, All the time I have been there wind has not been a real issue, the chair to the top is fairly low. the exposure is bad ,but it should run up the line and not across which causes the most problems ,  I will know tomorrow, there is always the new Tbar????
Thanks Brad, that helps.

SR is bad with North and North West winds which will knock all upper lifts offline.  West winds can be tolerated better but will still kick Western lifts (Aurora and Jordan) offline.  Northeast winds usually kill the Eastern upper lifts but this is the one direction that can affect the Oz Quad.  The big secret at SR on windy days from North thru West is Oz.  If trails are open, it will spin while everything else is shut.  It will even keep turning after Spruce goes down making it completely isolated.  Can be like a private ski area at times.

• Like 1

Burke on Saturday was quite amazing, tons of snow and very little wind . maybe 20 Kts  north west and it blew up the lift line no effects at all, Biggest crown I ever saw there, lots of tickets dangling from jackets. most people I talked to on lift are new to Burke, a very good sign. they do have some good stay and ski packages at hotel but the crowd was way more than that. Deepest skiing I have seen in New England , I felt like I was out west !!!

• Like 4

At Sugarbush NW wind seems to strongly impact Mount Ellen as only the terrain park lift there opened on Saturday (so GMX, North Ridge, Summit, and Inverness were all stuck on windhold). At Lincoln Peak the day started with only Valley House and Castlerock clear of holds first thing, although Gate House and Super Bravo both came off wind hold somewhere around 9am. Heaven's Gate came off hold just before noon. North Lynx remained on hold all day.

8 hours ago, Brad J said:

Burke on Saturday was quite amazing, tons of snow and very little wind . maybe 20 Kts  north west and it blew up the lift line no effects at all, Biggest crown I ever saw there, lots of tickets dangling from jackets. most people I talked to on lift are new to Burke, a very good sign. they do have some good stay and ski packages at hotel but the crowd was way more than that. Deepest skiing I have seen in New England , I felt like I was out west !!!

It really was amazing, lift lines didnt seem bad nothing more than 10 minutes. legs needed time to recover anyway but dam it was awesome in the glades !!

Wind didnt seem bad, nice how the lift line is mostly lined with trees !

Edited by ABV
  • Like 2

It really was amazing, lift lines didnt seem bad nothing more than 10 minutes. legs needed time to recover anyway but dam it was awesome in the glades !!
Wind didnt seem bad, nice how the lift line is mostly lined with trees !

Pics or it didn't happen! J/k
I was parked at Cannon Saturday morning debating with a friend about staying there or continuing to Burke. We stayed at Cannon, but it good to read an outstanding day was had a Burke
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, SkiingInABlueDream said:

Pics or it didn't happen! J/k emoji846.png
I was parked at Cannon Saturday morning debating with a friend about staying there or continuing to Burke. We stayed at Cannon, but it good to read an outstanding day was had a Burkeemoji106.png

I didn't take any pics but I know theres some video footage somewhere that is self incriminating so not sure it would be good to post  !!

We made the call in the car on the way up, once we heard upper Mountain was wind hold. Burke won with the 31+ on the morning report......glad we did it !

Edited by ABV

11 hours ago, Smellytele said:

I guess Burke no longer has the 5 minutes or less guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

I had no idea they had a 5 minute guarantee !!! I want my $45 back !!!