Sign in to follow this  
Benski

2019 Fat Lady Thread

A thread for the end of the season

Greek Peak Closed today-3/31

Plattekill has not announced they are closing yet so I guess they still have one more weekend.

The mount Mansfield snow stake is still above the average peak snow pack so I assume northern Vermont is is good shape base wise.

Bolton valley’s last day is Sunday 4/7. 

Whalebacks been closed for a couple of weeks. 

Edited by Los

Bolton valley’s last day is Sunday 4/7. 
Whalebacks been closed for a couple of weeks. 

That’s sad. Mt Mansfield is near peak snowpack.

I wonder if the proliferation of season passes will encourage more skiers to ski late in the season, since the ticket is a sunk cost and helps them get their money’s worth.

8 hours ago, Benski said:

That’s sad. Mt Mansfield is near peak snowpack.

I wonder if the proliferation of season passes will encourage more skiers to ski late in the season, since the ticket is a sunk cost and helps them get their money’s worth.

I doubt it will make much difference. Once the weather gets warm in the flatlands people just move on to other things and forget there is even snow still in the mountains. In cases for families with kids, often the kids start spring sports that prevent them from skiing later in the season.

And then there are also some people that just don't like skiing in spring conditions.

And we're down to the usual suspects. 

Killington

Stowe

Jay

Sugarbush

Smuggs (Weekends)

Burke (Weekends)

Wildcat

Sugarloaf

Sunday River

Killington
Stowe
Jay
Sugarbush
Smuggs (Weekends)
Burke (Weekends)
Wildcat
Sugarloaf
Sunday River

Sunday River is also weekends only now
  • Like 1

Much to my surprise Black Mtn (NH) may be running the lifts this coming wknd per their snow report.
I was very surprised they had enough to open last wknd (being a south facing slope) so fairly remarkable they would have both enough snow and enough potential demand (for a place I always view as this may be their last season) to justify opening.

1 minute ago, xwhaler said:

Much to my surprise Black Mtn (NH) may be running the lifts this coming wknd per their snow report.
I was very surprised they had enough to open last wknd (being a south facing slope) so fairly remarkable they would have both enough snow and enough potential demand (for a place I always view as this may be their last season) to justify opening.

That's very cool.  Forecast isn't looking favorable though.  

2 hours ago, fcksummer said:

Killington

Stowe

Jay

Sugarbush

Smuggs (Weekends)

Burke (Weekends)

Wildcat

Sugarloaf

Sunday River

Scratch Smuggs from the list. They announced they're not reopening due to the forecast.

MRG is reopening tomorrow though to tie their record for longest season. They'll re-evaluate after that whether they can open at some point this weekend to break the record.

Been at k since friday, snow loss is nauseating. June was looking definite a couple weeks back, lucky to make second half of may.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, thebigo said:

Been at k since friday, snow loss is nauseating. June was looking definite a couple weeks back, lucky to make second half of may.

In looking at the Mt Mansfield stake data, it has dropped about 2' in the past week and is now 16" below where it was this point last year. Still well above average, but definitely dropping pretty fast recently. 🙁

As I remember we had a really nice dry stretch from mid April to mid May last year.  This kept what was left of the snow intact.  Consistent rain and warm dew points like this past weekend will destroy the snow at a rapid pace.  It is looking like more rain coming late this week.  Get out there while the getting is good. 

STOP. FUCKING. RAINING. 

I really wanted one more day of skiing this weekend but its not looking very probable. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, frapcap said:

STOP. FUCKING. RAINING. 

I really wanted one more day of skiing this weekend but its not looking very probable. 

Cat is open this weekend !! You should be good to go ! wish I could make it up there !!

1 hour ago, ABV said:

Cat is open this weekend !! You should be good to go ! wish I could make it up there !!

But it's going to be raining and windy...are they really going to open/run? And even if they do, do I want to go?

• Like 1