Cannonballer

4/6 Cannon, 4/7 Sunday River

Tale of 2 different days. 

Cannon 4/6/2019:  35-45 degrees.  1-3" of snow overnight.  Ceiling at about mid-mountain.   

Showed up first thing in the AM very skeptical about conditions for the day.  I was fully ready for a one-and-done.  Met @ABV and @fcksummer at the Zoomer bar (turns out @Smellytele was parked right behind us also).  We grabbed opening bell on the Zoomer chair while the groomers were still working there way down the Front Five. Following our usual routine we took a warm up lap on Gary's.  The first turn was tentative with no sense of how firm or soft it would be.  It was soft!  Very fast carveable granular corduroy! Nice, that works!  It felt good underfoot and put the pedal down.  At the last roller on Gary's the groomers had apparently taken a hard right over to Rocket because they left a good bit of lower Gary's ungroomed.  Hitting the fresh layer of new snow was like riding into a fly trap.  I went from 40 to 5 MPH in a split second and almost swallowed my knees.  That was the lesson learned and we adapted from there.  Knowing that was what we had to work with we adjusted our technique accordingly and took off to explore the rest of the mountain.  Basically it was the same everywhere, really good if you were on your toes (well actually on your heels). Upper mountain glades  were filled in and we found untracked pretty much all day (lower mtn glades are toast).

UMG.thumb.jpg.475613d47fd66021784f08aaff8b2dc0.jpg

We took a short break to participate in Cannon's Passholder appreciation day.  WOW they really pulled out all the stops!!  Once your fished your cold hamburger patty out of the bucket you could put it on your cold bun.  Then you had the option of manhandling the block of american cheese to rip yourself off a slice that every other passholder had already pawed over.  If you brought your own ketchup you could even add that!  

Unencumbered by full bellies we decided to go for a hike.   Visibility up top was pretty rough.  Staying in the trees helped a lot. We eventually opted for a Saddle run and more trees.  Honestly, it's not as bad as it looks!

ABV.thumb.jpg.471a28299bd5ae10b430c631780f4572.jpg

It turned out to be far better day than I expected it we made it a long one.  

Sunday River 4/7/2019:  45-55 degrees.  Sunny.  Corn and slush.

On the drive over to Sunday River the clouds were thick and dark.  I was getting bummed out that we STILL weren't going to get a decent spring day.  But by 10am the sun started breaking through and it got hot fast!  The snow softened right up.  The coverage is still amazing.  Trails are edge to edge with virtually no bare spots and woods are still mostly all in play.  We mostly opted for some classic spring bumps, with Shockwave being the mogul standout that it's known for.

Shockwave.thumb.jpg.52a814d4af1ee1eb402f5c2b28b4d0fb.jpg

SR and even Cannon should be holding snow for a long time to come even after they shut down for 2019. 

• Like 2

Nice report. Had low expectations for Cannon on Sat after @ABV's wild reporting on Friday but turned out to be a good day. Had to reprogram myself to do everything backwards but it worked out!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fcksummer said:

Nice report. Had low expectations for Cannon on Sat after @ABV's wild reporting on Friday but turned out to be a good day. Had to reprogram myself to do everything backwards but it worked out!

Hard to Believe an Inch or two would have saved the day......Friday was a completely different story  !!

1 hour ago, ABV said:

Hard to Believe an Inch or two would have saved the day......Friday was a completely different story  !!

Saturday was great. As Cannoballer said the front five were a little sticky but pretty good and the upper mountain was in great shape. Mittersill I just skied Barons and skyline to ridge which were good but Taft training slope was sketchy. Sticky in spots and fast race conditions in other. Should have kept heading down Dragon's drop back to lower Baron's

Off the saddle (I think that is how you access it) does the run next to Wicked haard have a name? Or is it actually accessed through Wicked haard? From the lift saw a couple guys heading down it. One skier one snowboarder. Actually looks more open than Wicked Haard.

11 minutes ago, Smellytele said:

Off the saddle (I think that is how you access it) does the run next to Wicked haard have a name? Or is it actually accessed through Wicked haard? From the lift saw a couple guys heading down it. One skier one snowboarder. Actually looks more open than Wicked Haard.

The one that you are referring to is called Obvious and the entrance is near the top of the hike.  This dumps you down into a stream bed that is now open and running.  There are others when you start to come down the saddle.  The main one is Bunny Direct.

Edited by Puck it

11 minutes ago, Smellytele said:

Not super-unknown but will PM so nobody bites my head off!

2 minutes ago, Puck it said:

The one that you are referring to is called Obvious and the entrance is near the top of the hike.  This dumps you down into a stream bed that is now open and running.  There are others when you start to come down the saddle.  The main one is Bunny Direct.

Why don't you broadcast the Bretton Woods off map stuff instead!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, fcksummer said:

Why don't you broadcast the Bretton Woods off map stuff instead!

It is called Obvious for a reason.  

8 hours ago, Smellytele said:

The funny thing is (before Wicked Hard was put on the map), to me that WAS the entrance to WH as the right fork. If the Upper Hard entrance has been there for a while, I was oblivious to that much easier entrance. The primary line (left fork) that puck it calls obvious I know by a different name. Though, obvious is a fairly appropriate name. Funny how the same line can be known by multiple names! 

The big problem with that line is knowing when it is good to go or not. The final pitch is a rocky mess and it dumps out into a stream as puck it mentioned. It is a committing line with no bail out. You can have a really bad time near the bottom if it isn't good to go yet or is past prime. Overall, a bit more aggressive of a line choice than WH due to more variable lower elevation conditions. A bit steeper as well.

• Like 2