Sign in to follow this  
Benski

Things to do near Stockton Springs Maine

I got invited to a wedding their the first weekend of June. I am trying to wiggle my way out of it, but more likely I will need a hike, Kayak trip or Mountain bike ride to fill time. Any thoughts? Its a 6:30 drive, so I need more than a wedding to get me excited and it could easily be the last time I go up to Maine.

It looks pretty close to Acadia National park, so you could go there.  

The Maine coast up that way is pretty spectacular.  It’s a pretty cool place to just go be a tourist if you are into that sort of thing.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BumpOut said:

It looks pretty close to Acadia National park, so you could go there.  

The Maine coast up that way is pretty spectacular.  It’s a pretty cool place to just go be a tourist if you are into that sort of thing.  

that could work, though the hike would have to be over by 2:30 because of the wedding

4 hours ago, Benski said:

I got invited to a wedding their the first weekend of June. I am trying to wiggle my way out of it, but more likely I will need a hike, Kayak trip or Mountain bike ride to fill time. Any thoughts? Its a 6:30 drive, so I need more than a wedding to get me excited and it could easily be the last time I go up to Maine.

That area is off the charts gorgeous.  if you have a kayak bring it  and the only thing you'll be disappointed in is how little time you have to explore. The towns of Belfast and Blue Hill are both quintessentially picturesque coastal Maine.  Belfast is a bit more of quaint downtown on the waterfront, Blue Hill is a more rural village on the waterfront.  Both have excellent public harbors with cheap or free parking and easy launch points.  Mt Desert Narrows coming out of Blue Hill Bay is an  gorgeous rocky harbor full of little islands and nice boats (although that's still early season up there).  A little further around the coast is Brooklin and Henrick Bay.  Henrick Bay has some residences around it but is otherwise mostly undeveloped and very quiet.  I think there is a kayak launch point along Rt 175.  I've launched a small skiff (with advanced permission) from Atlantic Boat Works which is a little further around the point.    Brooklin is also home to the world known and super amazing Wooden Boat School. If you're into traditional boat building you could see if they have any events or open-houses going on.  

A little further south (to break up the drive) are Rockland, Rockport, and Camden.  Rockland has a lot going on.  Camden is an upscale downtown waterfront and Camden Harbor has great kayaking.  

Keep in mind that first week of June is pretty early season in that area. Water will still be super cold.  Many kayak rental spots may not be open yet, and it's possible some docks may not even be in. 

If this wedding invite is a date-type situation you've got a lot of options for romance in this part of Maine....just saying.

• Thanks 1