frapcap

Let's talk about dirty laundry

With as technical and advanced as the new gear has become, I've been holding off washing high dollar pieces like my main ski coat due to the warnings on the tag about "only wash this way with detergent made from unicorn jizz acquired in a quest given to you by a gnome" and "dry only for 36 minutes using a cats asshole," etc. I've been wary of washing my coat do I don't ruin its effectiveness. But it stinks of sweat and my pants have some dirt and beer stains, and both need some attention... 

With what detergents and how do you guys wash your good, waterproof outterwear (waterproof pants/coats/shells/mid layers) with? Do you bother with the fancy detergents? One of my tags even says "front load washer only." I have a top loader, but its newer and doesn't have the giant agitator in it like the washers of yesteryear. Is that alright to use? 

I’ve used both regular light detergent and tech wash to wash ski clothes. Tech wash is supposed to rejuvenate the water repellency but it’s expensive and I don’t find it very good at actually getting things clean. Best bet is just regular old detergent. I’ve heard that by washing the dirt off outdoor clothing it actually helps to expose the membrane of the coat and allow it to repel water better and breathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

Blister wrote an article on this recently. IIRC the conclusion was that soilage in your garments reduces their performance more than washing them, if you use the right detergent.

I wash my jacket and pants once per year at the end of the ski season. I also don't expect decent water repellency to last more than a couple seasons, 3 at most, in those kinds of clothing.

4 hours ago, SkiingInABlueDream said:

I wash my jacket and pants once per year at the end of the ski season. I also don't expect decent water repellency to last more than a couple seasons, 3 at most, in those kinds of clothing.

This is what I do as well.

My jacket is a 3-in-1 interchange, so I can also skip washing the shell if I don't think it needs it (or alternatively wash the inner layer an extra time if it starts to get a little sweaty/stinky).

I wash my gear as little as possible. That usually means once at the end of the season.  

All of my gear that I count on to be waterproof/breathable is Gore-Tex or other membranes.  I've never had good success with any coatings or repellents.  As mentioned above, Gore-Tex (membranes) actually like to be washed so that the pores aren't clogged with dirt. So I follow Gore-tex washing instructions which are pretty basic.   Gear that uses coatings will definitely suffer from washing. Don't count on it to perform well after a few washings. 

This is a copy of the conversation with the owner Michael from Freeride Systems...

Disclaimer: i want to be proven wrong...if you can re-apply dwr to factory level, I will give you $250.00* (see below)

I have access to bulk solvent dwr that not many if any people can get.....along with water based all of you can get...... I have not found a single one that works imo (beads up with consistency on the whole garment) in a retreatment scenario from a completely lost dwr garment. Furthermore, I have found negligible to zero results on wpb jackets and pants from scotch guards and and the like....don't work in my book on pants and jackets...boots? yeah?not really...sno seal? yes!
Do you have proof it does? Post it up here and I will dub you king dwr and you can field future inquiries.....but i would want to see video proof with no editing.....also I would send you a jacket to retreat.... and if you can duplicate factory results or even close I will give you a check for $250.00 yep two hundred hundred fifty dollars (award offer only given once to first person who can do it), and i want to see unedited video with a visible physical clock ticking in the video before I send you the jacket to retreat, not a clock on the screen, but in the video, any ole big ben with a second hand will do...
From blister sheenan article (Doe none of this is meant to be negative directed your way) this is purely about the article:

I. dirt on dwr.... Where does that come from in snow? in decades of skiing i have yet to be hit once with "grease from lift tower" have you? congrats you are essentially a lottery winner. i worked lifts at vail back in the day , never hit.....i have won a scratch off tho... note i didnt say "serviced" lifts, but most here are riding lifts....

II. oil from skin (inside jacket), sweat on jacket (inside jacket), ................dwr is on the outside of the jacket
III. btw tree bark, regular dirt etc does not make it to the membrane, it first hits dwr coating, if this is penetrated it will adhere to the outside facing yarns of the griege (face fabric in a laminate fabric...i.e. 2L, 2.5L, 3L) if it makes it to the membrane it will be limited to one area of contact. like an arm that brushed a tree trunk....stay away from tree trunks....tree wells are no joke.....

IV. the guy that wrote this sounds like he skis next to a wood chipper and or heavy road equipment in dusty environs....oh yeah, dont do that...dont ski next to wood chippers throwing clouds of fine particles into the air and resting in the holes of your membrane underneath the greige and dwr.....
V. for smell....if you smell so bad that your outerwear jacket stinks you are doing something wrong...you should have layers that will catch any B.O. long before it embeds in the shell....hey...maybe you ski nakid.... pants, different, you can piss in pants, dribble in pants, shat in pants, this stuff stinks....maybe wash your pants....but dont expect dwr to magically come back with that genie in the bottle....

VI. Do you lean up against a road worn driven car to put gear on roof? If yes, that is grime, chemicals, dirt, exhuast mutated snow that is now on your jacket. Did you need to put skis in the rocket box while wearing your $400 dwr neoshell , when a sweatshirt , old beater jacket etc would have worked if you had taken 10 seconds to put it on first? do you toss your $400 jacket into a pile of crap in your car with dog hair , tobacco residue, pet dander, beer, puke, and who knows what else? why? this is hardly caring for your gear that wants to do nothing but serve you well. would it take more than 45 seconds to remove a jacket and fold and put in a backpack , a trashbag, a treasure chest?

VII. campfire, cig , doob smoke? thats not skiing, wear a flannel and try vaping....

VIII. grease from snowmobile? ski jackets are not mechanics wear, put on a fart bag jumper suit and get to work....dont do it in your $400 ski jacket....stuck in the back
country? broken sled belt, buried the sled, need to dig her out? extended stay.... wearing a pack i hope in back country...take off that $400 jacket, put on another layer....do your work....then put your jacket back on....or shouldnt you be in a brappp jacket anywayz....

p.s. science talk , protons, neutrons, charged particles really get me giddy.....yee hi

i also liked all the click thru shopping affiliate marketing links for chems and treatments after the article

CONCLUSION: do what ever you want, but jackets cost me the least of about anyone and I dont wash and I dont lean over my vehicle , snowmobile, etc etc to stow gear ina parking lot....and if i am throwing my jacket around in my car , i secretly crave a new jacket and just want to try to destroy my current one....

common sense goes a long way

Dryers

Dryer heat goes a long way to loosen up seam tape inside your jacket....loosen it real good....so there's that.....

want loose seam tape, throw it in the dryer with some of that genie dwr treatment....and heat on high...heat is what we use to put the seam tape on, it is also what we use to take it off to replace a zipper or something...slow down and think about that for a minute....

but dont be sending me your jackets under warranty for replacement, because I know what all of this stuff looks like from limp fabric (washed) to blistered fabric (washed) YKK two way zippers that dont work anymore mysteriously...(trying to zip without both sliders pushed all the way down to stop before zipping) ...etc.... remember i have used the same stuff i make and sell for almost a decade...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

10 hours ago, fcksummer said:

My gear is loaded with bark and sap right now. Whats a good detergent?

Sap ?? Im shocked !! how on earth did sap get on there...please explain !!

7 hours ago, Infinite Dreams said:

From blister sheenan article (Doe none of this is meant to be negative directed your way) this is purely about the article:

I. dirt on dwr.... Where does that come from in snow? in decades of skiing i have yet to be hit once with "grease from lift tower" have you? congrats you are essentially a lottery winner. i worked lifts at vail back in the day , never hit.....i have won a scratch off tho... note i didnt say "serviced" lifts, but most here are riding lifts....

That entire article was douche level 12!!   But this one was especially clueless.  There is freaking dirt everywhere in snow!  And I have never gone through a season without at least 2 major grease-from-lift-tower incidents. 

• Like 1

I got lift tower spooge on my coat literally the day after I read this and responded as such. Andy's post about tree bark reminded me of this one so I thought I'd share.

That entire article was douche level 12!!   But this one was especially clueless.  There is freaking dirt everywhere in snow!  And I have never gone through a season without at least 2 major grease-from-lift-tower incidents. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

• Like 1

I subscribe to the idea of finding good, but less expensive, outer gear so that when it becomes to worn out, I can toss it and not feel bad.  Especially ski pants, where I use Columbia's Ridge 2 Run.  You can get them for like $85 bucks, great water repellent, not very insulated other than their thermo reflective lining but I just layer.  When they are shot, at that price the get tossed (or used for snowblowing/other utility activities).  Jackets are arguably harder, but I look for clearance deals online or shops like ski and snowboard liquidators in No. Conway.

There are some lessons here. I have a bluebird day jacket, and a powder day jacket. Only use the good gear when you need it. And I always have a spare new garment in the duffel bag in the truck to break out  for powder days when it is needed.

I wash with the unicorn jizz every month or so. No, it never gets it back to where it was. But yet it does clean it. The biggest threat to the jacket is the action of the washing machine itself. Agitators suck. As does the spin cycle on the high-efficiency machines. Your best bet is the high-efficiency machine with an outerwear (low speed spin) for exactly this purpose.

Wash in waterproofing helps, but only goes so far.

I have Columbia jacket and pants and a north face packable that I wear on cold days under my jacket. I just throw it in the laundry with regular detergent. Washed 3 times this season and had them for 2 years. We buy every 3-4 years. Never really thought about washing gear much, clearly!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app