Sign in to follow this  
Brad J

Attitash Triple

This is posted on Attitash's website.

Summit Triple Update
July 23, 2019

I’m sure you’ve all be wondering about our plans to repair the summit triple this summer. Let’s get this out of the way first; the Summit Triple will be operational for this winter, and we will once again enjoy skiing and riding from the summit on some of our favorite trails, like Upper Ptarmigan and Tightrope. 

All of the necessary parts have been ordered from overseas and we expect them to be delivered to Artec in Connecticut by late August. With the size and specialized nature of the components we needed, it’s not like we can just pop down to Home Depot and pick up some spare parts. Instead, there is one company in the world that can make the parts we need and they have a turnaround time of several months. This has been the main holdup so far, but we expect the parts to be in country shortly and off to the team at Artec. Once the components arrive, the planetary gears and drive will be rebuilt by Artec in Connecticut. After assembly is complete they will deliver the gearbox and shaft the last week of August. 

After everything is rebuilt and delivered to the mountains, our Lift Maintenance crew, along with other industry professionals, are ready to tackle the installation of these parts, beginning immediately after Labor Day. Why wait until September? This is a project that requires some very heavy machinery, and for the safety and convenience of our summer guests, we will wait and perform the work midweek when guests are not on property. 

Once work starts back up on the lift, we expect the installation of these new parts to take a few weeks, at which point we can turn the lift on, begin testing, and get ready for annual state inspections. 

The recent news of Vail’s acquisition of Peak Resorts does not have an effect on this project, and work will be completed as stated above. We look forward to seeing you this winter, aboard the summit triple!

I was told by a family friend who owns one of those seven figure mansions between attitash and bear that one of the contingencies of the aquisition was a functional attitash triple with a deadline in novemeber.

No idea if it is true, just repeating what I was told. As for why he bought a mansion at attitash, I have no idea.

On 8/31/2019 at 3:39 PM, Benski said:

Well buying a ski area without a functional main lift has to put a big dent in its value.

Yeah... but let's no pretend Attitash was the driver of value. Certainly I think it has a lot of potential for Vail as an operator if they can turn the ship around.

As someone who has never skied Attitash, is the need for the triple more for accessing the trails on the upper peak or to make it easier to cut over to Bear? Watched some youtube vids this morning at the upper trails and they looked quite mellow. 

The quad gets you to bear no problem. Tim's, idiots and upper pt are the best attitash has to offer but not worth the 20+ min lift ride. 

The original plan before asc went bust was to develop the terrain between the mountains, would have made attitash a very different place. 

As someone who has never skied Attitash, is the need for the triple more for accessing the trails on the upper peak or to make it easier to cut over to Bear? Watched some youtube vids this morning at the upper trails and they looked quite mellow. 

Think of a greasy one-star restraunt. Now imagine that the restraunt kicks their only keg (bud light).
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

Think of a greasy one-star restraunt. Now imagine that the restraunt kicks their only keg (bud light).

On the ocean with a cordon bleau chef emptying the trash.

The reason people get pissed at attitash is unrealized potential. If they could ever extend to the true summit with an hsdq and build out the bowl between the mountains it would be in discussion for best area in nh but it has never had an owner with deep pockets or been a priority. Compare attitash and bretton woods in the mid 90s. Attitash is effectively the same place, bretton woods has probably doubled their terrain and maintains modern lifts. Further the place is a major draw in summer, I would bet summer/fall revenue is either tops or close to it in northern new england. 

Edited by thebigo
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2019 at 4:15 PM, thebigo said:

On the ocean with a cordon bleau chef emptying the trash.

The reason people get pissed at attitash is unrealized potential. If they could ever extend to the true summit with an hsdq and build out the bowl between the mountains it would be in discussion for best area in nh but it has never had an owner with deep pockets or been a priority. Compare attitash and bretton woods in the mid 90s. Attitash is effectively the same place, bretton woods has probably doubled their terrain and maintains modern lifts. Further the place is a major draw in summer, I would bet summer/fall revenue is either tops or close to it in northern new england. 

The steepest on trail stuff at Attitash tops Bretton Woods too (at least in my somewhat limited knowledge of BW). Some nice glades could be cut from the summit also.

Was there ever a full blown permit for Stony Brook or was this all just a dream that could be killed via any number of environmental problems too?

Circa early 90s I remember a seeing a map showing a number of additional lifts. This was before bear but showed more terrain than was eventually developed. It was a topo map, not a trail map that I believe was hanging on the wall in the lodge, I was about 10 years old so it is possible my memory is less than perfect.

Edit - more info https://www.newenglandskihistory.com/skiareaexpansions/NewHampshire/attitash/stonybrook.php

Edited by thebigo

On 9/2/2019 at 3:04 PM, thebigo said:

The quad gets you to bear no problem. Tim's, idiots and upper pt are the best attitash has to offer but not worth the 20+ min lift ride. 

The original plan before asc went bust was to develop the terrain between the mountains, would have made attitash a very different place. 

Ah, that explains a lot.  I spent a couple hours checking out Attitash last season after skiing at Wildcat in the morning.  After riding the triple the first time, wasn't sure I wanted to bother a second time.  But after going over to the other side and back, did another ride for my last run.  I see how Attitash and Wildcat on the same ticket is useful for days when conditions at Wildcat are too cold and/or windy.  But Attitash certainly has an unfinished feel.

That's for sure what Attitash is good for. If it's just a cold, icey groomer day at Cat, I'll sometimes opt for Attitash as it's a little warmer and has significantly more groomed trails to choose from.

The other times I'll ski Attitash is the spring. The bumps typically soften 2-3 hours before Cat. Grand Stand will be soft by 10AM where up the road it can be 1 or later before it softens at Cat. Not uncommon for it to be 15 degrees warmer at Attitash vs Cat.

But overall my days spent at Wildcat are probably 8/9-1 vs Attitash

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app