Sign in to follow this  
Cannonballer

Biker gaps bear in Whistler

This quick clip is pretty wild....

https://www.theinertia.com/mountain/mountain-biker-gapped-a-bear-in-whistler/

But it reminded me of how many wildlife near misses I've had lately. I've been running around so busy lately that I forgot half of them and didn't add them all up.

- In early August I aborted a ride in Franconia because of all the bear activity. There were steaming piles of fresh bear poop and big fresh bear prints in the mud on the trail.

- In late August we nearly hit a bear on the highway in Franconia on a way to a ride. It jumped over the guard rail just ahead of us.

- The next night we came within a few yards of hitting a moose in the road in Bethlehem on the way back from another ride.

- In early September I was going WAY too fast on the Franconia bike path at dusk. I didn't see the bear in the path until I was almost on it. Luckily it bolted off the path in time that we didn't collide.

- Last week in MA I was again going way too fast on my local trails. I came within inches of smashing into a deer on the trail on a downhill corner. This time I was the one who reacted faster. If I hadn't braked hard I would have hit it. It didn't bound off until I was within touching distance.

Oh yeah, and I've also run over a snake and two squirrels on my mountain bike this summer. WTF, how does that even happen?

It's fun to see all these animals but really hoping for no serious incidents!

I've had a few over the years...

Nearly hit deer at Highland and Franklin Falls

Chased bears in Stowe and Dupont State Forest in NC

Had to avoid turkeys at Boston Lot and Sunapee

And I always seem to be chased at least once a ride by barking spiders