Finally got a chance to heck out Loon's new lift-served DH trails this weekend.  This was my first time doing any lift-served so I can't really give a comparison to other places. But I can say that it was an absolute blast!  

They really only have 3 trails so far and they are all considered to be on the beginner side. 1) Mainline is rated as a straight up beginner trail. It has wide sweeping turns and nice rollers.  2) Bandit is rated as a beginner with some technical features. This really only consists of a few rocky sections thrown in and much tighter banked turns than Mainline. 3) Steampunk is a blue trail with 'technical features'.  This means it has a few more rocky sections, some jumpable features off to the sides, a few gapable rollers, and deep tight banked turns.  None of the trails have any mandatory drops or major challenges.  This sets them up perfectly to just bomb!  The trails are incredibly well built, with berms at just right the pitch, angles, and traction to fly through. 

Loon itself was completely mobbed with people for their Oktoberfest party. The parking lot was as full as any Saturday during the ski season.  But there was almost nobody on the bike trials.  I never waited in line to get on the lift. And I only caught up to 2 or 3 groups on the trails. All of which were quick to let me pass with a smile.  I imagine it will eventually turn into the standard Loon shitshow once it gets built out. For now though it's really sweet. I only wish they were open for a few more weeks. 

Only stopped once for pics....

Down.thumb.jpg.d452bdbccb554d72f86305c9dccf35d6.jpg

up.thumb.jpg.81e010bcebb1af05a3188de50e8c19b9.jpg

Foliage.thumb.jpg.5525e6aa6975cc5bdb2a103396608e76.jpg

• Like 1
Nice!  I am sure an 8 pack chair won't draw any attention to the park when they replace Kanc with that machine.  
Well, the new 8-pack won't service the MTB terrain. The MTB is served by the Seven Brothers chair. But you're on point, they are going to replace 7 Brothers with a HSQ (probably the current Kanc) when the install the 8-pack. And that will make a big difference in access to the MTB terrain.
7 hours ago, Cannonballer said:
7 hours ago, Machski said:
Nice!  I am sure an 8 pack chair won't draw any attention to the park when they replace Kanc with that machine.  

Well, the new 8-pack won't service the MTB terrain. The MTB is served by the Seven Brothers chair. But you're on point, they are going to replace 7 Brothers with a HSQ (probably the current Kanc) when the install the 8-pack. And that will make a big difference in access to the MTB terrain.

Nope, bike park is CURRENTLY serviced by Seven Brothers.  But the plan is for that to give way to the Kanc Lift in the future as the bike park is expanded.  It is undoubtedly why Boyne proposed an 8 at Kanc as it will likely be identical to Big Sky's Ramcharger 8, ordered with bike carriers from the get go.  Whether they will use Seven Brother's too when the Kanc is cut into the bike park remains to be seen.

Nope, bike park is CURRENTLY serviced by Seven Brothers.  But the plan is for that to give way to the Kanc Lift in the future as the bike park is expanded.  It is undoubtedly why Boyne proposed an 8 at Kanc as it will likely be identical to Big Sky's Ramcharger 8, ordered with bike carriers from the get go.  Whether they will use Seven Brother's too when the Kanc is cut into the bike park remains to be seen.
It will be interesting to see how it really plays out. There are plenty of things about their recent and currently stated plans that are inconsistent and/or very far from reality. I'm just very happy to have some really well built trails in the area.

I have never been to Loon but it would make sense to have the mountain biking served by the gondola or a lift next to it to consolidate your summer operations. Of course they could use 2 lifts for mountain biking but that would be a lot.

On 10/18/2019 at 6:33 PM, Benski said:

I have never been to Loon but it would make sense to have the mountain biking served by the gondola or a lift next to it to consolidate your summer operations. Of course they could use 2 lifts for mountain biking but that would be a lot.

Killington uses three lifts for their park, K1 Ramshead and Snowshed (both of which have dedicated bike carriers on the lines).

Killington uses three lifts for their park, K1 Ramshead and Snowshed (both of which have dedicated bike carriers on the lines).

Two lifts are defiantly doable but it appears to be a luxury only the biggest players in Downhill mountain biking consider worthwhile.
3 hours ago, Benski said:

Two lifts are defiantly doable but it appears to be a luxury only the biggest players in Downhill mountain biking consider worthwhile.

Agreed, and Kanc would cover Seven Bros since it unloads higher.  Will have to see how they work things out as they build out their park.