• $615 raised

Goal: $300

Craigslist vs Peddle.com to Unload a Car

Has anyone used sites like Peddle.com to get rid of used cars?
My 06 Mazda 3 is now at the point where I can no longer safely drive it due to extensive underbody rust. It has 225k miles on it and has served my wife and I very well for many yrs.

Just at the point where I can no longer justify putting $ into the vehicle given rust only gets worse.

Considering selling on Craigslist but CL can be annoying with ppl low balling, not showing up etc. Seems I could expect anywhere from $750-$1300 given other comps in the area.
Or I found a site called peddle.com that has offered me $650 given the car drives fine. Benefits of this is quick and easy and I get instant cash.

Has anyone used peddle (or other sites I should know about?)
Or someone convince me to sell on CL

8 minutes ago, Puck it said:

Cars for Kids and get a tax deduction.  They pick it up.

There is an idea. Depending on the valuation of the deduction, that could easily be the right move compared to Peddle. Come with bonus feel good points. I hear the ads on WBUR asking for used car donations.

I bet they don't even right in an amount.  Habitat for Humanity gave us a blank receipt when they took our old cabinets and granite counter tops.  Plus they come and take it no hassle in dealing with someone.

So Peddle and these other sites apparently just refer you to a local used car dealer. You then bring the car there and they inspect the car and I'm sure make you a lower offer.

The used car dealerships to buy a car is troubling enough I can;t imagine what its like to sell them a vehicle.

Scrapping the car was also considered but scrap metal pricing has tanked recently (I'd only get approx $175 for it this way)

2 hours ago, Puck it said:

I bet they don't even right in an amount.  Habitat for Humanity gave us a blank receipt when they took our old cabinets and granite counter tops.  Plus they come and take it no hassle in dealing with someone.

Unfortunately for cars the amount is provided by the charity...and if the charity sells the car it has to be what they got for it, not the fair market value.

Interested in how to go as well.  Looking at either trading in or selling my daughter's car sometime this year.

I decided in the end it was simply easier to just have my friend take it off my hands. He has the car at his shop now and has offered me $300 for it. He will then bring to the auction (auction fees approx $300 for him) and I think he may net $100 or nothing at all....do it as a favor to me since he is in the business.

Selling a rusted car on CL with 225k miles does not seem particularly attractive nor does driving around to used car lots seeing if they want it.
Path of least resistance is just to sign the title over to my buddy and be done.

I did call a scap metal place as well to see what they would offer. Steel is only going for $80/ton right now and they said the tires would have to be removed and all fluids drained for them to accept so obviously not a viable solution.

A couple yrs ago a friend brought a driveable car to a scrap yard and got $400 for it but the metals market has since collapsed I guess.

Now to get scrap value for it you need to do quite a bit of work to make it so.

Two years ago Kars for Kids gave me a receipt for $600 for an old rusted 1991 525 that I was using for a commuter. No hassle just showed up with a wrecker and off it went. I only paid $1300 for it and ran it for 2.5 years. Not a bad ROI

So you get $200 of that $600. Sounds fair for no effort on your end. It was probably worthless in any other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app