Cannonballer

Whose glass is half full?

It's not terrible out there, but it's pretty thin and just meh everywhere. Heading into a week of heavy traffic, no snowfall, and marginal snowmaking temps. It's hard to get excited about any of it.

Anyone got some silver linings to share?

Best I can say is that the fat biking is in good shape for northern NE, and the regular biking is in great shape in southern NE.

10 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

It's not terrible out there, but it's pretty thin and just meh everywhere. Heading into a week of heavy traffic, no snowfall, and marginal snowmaking temps. It's hard to get excited about any of it.

Anyone got some silver linings to share?

Best I can say is that the fat biking is in good shape for northern NE, and the regular biking is in great shape in southern NE.

Bretton Woods was good yesterday, snow at least ! No lines, love that Gondola !

Decent number of trails for this time of year despite the rain? Quantity of options over quality of snow? Natural trails have some base and are not completely brown which should help once we get more snow? The Front Five at Cannon will be splendid once they finally roll out the whales? That will make up for how horrendous much of the rest of the mountain is.

Hard to find much good to say about things out there right now given conditions this past weekend and, as you mentioned, surfaces are going to be impacted by holiday traffic. But I keep reminding myself that I've skied many seasons when trail counts and conditions during Christmas week were much, much worse. Which says more about the bad years than this one, but still...

• Like 1

My silver linings:

1) I picked up a telemark setup. Going to learn how to telemark at Wildcat next week. That should keep skiing interesting until more snow comes.

2) Picked up a fat bike and I am going to explore on that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

• Like 1

Already have 10 days in lift serve and 7 skinning.
As was mentioned those whales on the front 5 (more like sharks)
No R@!n in the forecast.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

You all are filling my glass with Christmas spirit(s)! All good points. It may not be amazing but it sure could be worse.

It's all first world problems anyway.

There were good points made? Conditions blow right now. It doesn’t make me feel better that it could be even worse. 

Half full:  I got a new pair of Kastle skis from Steep and Cheap for $149 about a month ago.

Half empty:  I haven't gotten out to use them yet!  A lot of the ski areas in my part of the mid-Atlantic just opened in the last couple of days.

01728.jpg

Edited by JimK

The mountains I ski most (Wachusett and Killington) have a lot open due to most the storms being southern this year. Sure conditions aren't top notch and there's a few bare spots to watch out for, but there have been worse Decembers at these mountains. So I think I'm half full! Definitely no more than that...

My glass just filled right up! The past few days are what we all want out of winter, constant little refreshers. For the past 4 days there has been a persistent cloud hanging over the Whites. A few inches everyday. Today was especially surprising. It just kept coming all day long.

Don't talk to me about this weekend :(

IMG_20200108_172255828.jpeg

1 hour ago, Cannonballer said:

My glass just filled right up! The past few days are what we all want out of winter, constant little refreshers. For the past 4 days there has been a persistent cloud hanging over the Whites. A few inches everyday. Today was especially surprising. It just kept coming all day long.

Don't talk to me about this weekend :(

IMG_20200108_172255828.jpeg

This is not helping my glass. Matter of fact, my glass is shattering

12 minutes ago, fcksummer said:

This is not helping my glass. Matter of fact, my glass is shattering

Next weekend, should be good as I have company coming for the weekend and can't ski. 

Could have been worse. Actually, I was expecting it to be a LOT worse. I don't know what happened at the mountains yet but rain in central NH lowlands was limited mostly to overnight Saturday into Sunday and the warmth topped out at 50ish. Still a lot of snow in our yard, not many green spots. Immediately freeze underway right now to lock in whatever snow did not melt. Overall, bad but not catastrophic. We'll call my glass 50% of capacity. 

• Like 1

The skiing was fantastic on Saturday. Spent the day at Cannon, and while the upper mountain lifts were closed all day due to wind, everything open on the lower mountain was really nice!

We were planning to brave the rain on Sunday, but the wind and warmth was too much for the mountain and they never even opened.

I know it’s early, but it looks like Mother Nature may help us out for next weekend...fingers crossed!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

21 hours ago, thesnowway said:

Could have been worse. Actually, I was expecting it to be a LOT worse. I don't know what happened at the mountains yet but rain in central NH lowlands was limited mostly to overnight Saturday into Sunday and the warmth topped out at 50ish. Still a lot of snow in our yard, not many green spots. Immediately freeze underway right now to lock in whatever snow did not melt. Overall, bad but not catastrophic. We'll call my glass 50% of capacity. 

I hope you're right (but I'm skeptical).  I bailed from NH midday Saturday in order to get some bad-weather tasks done (AKA work!).  Reports I heard from Franconia on Sunday were pretty dismal. Pouring rain most of the morning. It sounds like Cannon may have been hit worse than almost anyone. Even Lincoln and where you are seem to have fared better.  The fact that Cannon couldn't open at all on Sunday and only had Zoomer and Tuckerbrook open on Monday is not a good sign. Cannon's Monday report was frankly total marketing BS.  

I'm planning to assess it tomorrow and will report back. Hopefully enough of the base was spared that the next few weeks will get us back on track. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Benski said:

But it’s MLK. The gapers will be out in force

I don't usually find MLK to be that busy, it is busier than a normal weekend but not as busy as a vacation week. Jay Peak doesn't even black it out for deals and vouchers. The folks that skied Christmas vacation week usually don't come back until February vacation. Worst case, just make first chair because most families aren't there that early and ski late Monday when people leave early.

That said, I have to work Monday and Sunday so guaranteed good weekend for you guys.

1 hour ago, Cannonballer said:

Cannon's Monday report was frankly total marketing BS.  

Looking forward to your report tomorrow.

Cannon has perhaps the worst snow reporting in the business right now. Which is sad because they had some of the best and most accurate online reporting in the early 2000s. They took a page out of Jay Peak's marketing plan by substituting "The Cannon Effect" for "The Jay Cloud" (which is just silly, Cannon is one of the least orthographically weather enhanced areas around). They should also take a page out of Jay's honest snow reporting. Steve Wright personally penned a suggestion that people avoid the mountain this past weekend. That earns respect and loyalty. With Cannon, if the report isn't raving about the conditions and just sounds like an "average" report, you know to raise a weary eyebrow and stay far, far away.

Interesting that things were that bad at Cannon on Sunday and so different than further south. Then again, southern winds destroy the place. Trail report looks pretty good today. Of course, it is probably a sheet of ice and death cookies.

Edited by thesnowway
  • Like 1