Sign in to follow this  
fcksummer

Last Storm of the Decade

US National Weather Service Caribou ME

Plowable Snow Likely Tuesday/Tuesday Night for Northern/Eastern Maine

* It's been quite the snow drought, especially in Northern Maine. Finally, however, a decent snow event appears to be on the way. While it's too early to nail down amounts, the potential is there for greater than 6" of snow Tuesday/Tuesday night. For Downeast, mixed precipitation is possible which could limit accumulations, but areas from Dover-Foxcroft and Millinocket north should safely be all snow.

* Also very important to note, if you have travel plans southwest of the area, a potentially significant icing event is in store for Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire/Vermont, and Upstate New York from Sunday night into early Tuesday. In addition, snow will make it to SW Maine much earlier than Eastern Maine, and could begin as early as early Monday from Portland west.

• Like 1

At this point, I think its reasonable to expect 2-5 inches of a dense snow/sleet conglomeration early Monday and an additional 4-8 inches of fluffier, elevation sensitive snow New Years Eve and New Years Day. There is more upside potential with the developing coastal system as well. Though not a current part of our expectations, were we to get some of that snow, totals for the storm could approach a foot.

http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/2019/12/new-years-system-to-produce-some.html

• Like 1

Didn't pan out that well for Sugarloaf, but evidently Sunday River did well.

I just got done plowing off 11" of all snow, here in central Aroostook County, so should be a great powder day tomorrow at Bigrock! 😀

• Like 1

Sugarbush got 8 inches. So pretty good. It opened up a lot of the mountain. But the Mt Ellen summit is still closed.

• Like 1

Jay just opened the face chutes and look to be around 85% open including most glades, not bad. Unfortunately, my Jay vouchers are blacked out today due to the holiday so I just went to Cannon instead.

Cannon was nice today. Another foot will get some glades, natural snow trails, and Mittersill open. Speaking of which, Taft Race Course, Cannonball and Candyland were quite nice today. Undulating and thin but definitely worth the hike over. Not enough snow to take a pounding but quite good with a limited number of adventurous skiers.

Obviously, more snow would have been a lot better. But the mountain is night and day better since this past Saturday. Except the intersection of Spookie, Middle Cannon, and Rock Garden. My goodness was that intersection awful.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2019 at 11:14 PM, MEtoVTskier said:

Didn't pan out that well for Sugarloaf, but evidently Sunday River did well.

I just got done plowing off 11" of all snow, here in central Aroostook County, so should be a great powder day tomorrow at Bigrock! 😀

Not lying about Sunday River...looks like they did great

• Like 1