Sign in to follow this  
fcksummer

East Coast Bucket List

Never seen this site before but they just posted this article

https://www.icecoastmag.com/post/the-ice-coast-bucket-list

Eight must-hit Northeast spots to ski before your knees turn to mush.

1. THE OLYMPIC TRAILS AT WHITEFACE
  2. THE SINGLE CHAIR, MAD RIVER GLEN
  3. NIGHT SKIING AT MONT SAINTE-ANNE
  4. SPRING SKIING IN KILLINGTON
  5. THE FRONT FOUR, STOWE
  6. SUGARLOAF CAT SKIING
  7. TUCKERMAN RAVINE
  8. THE STRATTON 24

I've only done #4 & #5 and I didn't do the entire Front Four as the conditions weren't great. Fck #2 and #8 doesn't interest me much. 

• Like 1

What even is the Statton 24? I can’t imagine anything exciting about Stratton other than getting to meet the worst of skiers in Vermont.

Why is Mont Saints Anne on the list? I don’t know much about it.

The Single chair should definitely be on there. It’s all around, excellent.

I think skiing a hill under 1000 vertical feet should be on there. So many tiny ski areas in New England to check out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Benski said:

What even is the Statton 24? I can’t imagine anything exciting about Stratton other than getting to meet the worst of skiers in Vermont.

Why is Mont Saints Anne on the list? I don’t know much about it.

The Single chair should definitely be on there. It’s all around, excellent.

I think skiing a hill under 1000 vertical feet should be on there. So many tiny ski areas in New England to check out.

The skiing a hill under 1000 vert is a good idea!

I've done 2, 5, and 7.  Tux was the only one I considered "bucket list".  Stowe's front 4 are good but they are just trails like anything else.  MRG single chair is just a really, really crappy chair. 

Cat skiing at Sugarloaf sounds pretty awesome.  The rest? Meh.

Mt Saint Anne isn't in the Northeast. It's in the Southeast 🤪

• Like 1

Ive done 4, thats it !  Spring skiing at Killington is Fun !  

would love to do 6 this season some time !

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ABV said:

Ive done 4, thats it !  Spring skiing at Killington is Fun !  

would love to do 6 this season some time !

Tramline is going on your bucket list for this season!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1,2,4,5,7 for me from that list. Everyone should have their own list. My list involved getting to a lot of mid-sized areas and getting north of the boarder to ski new places, still working on that last part. I've skied almost every non-local/feeder area in VT, NH, and ME.

Obviously, snowboarders cannot ride the Single right now so that is not applicable to a significant number of folks. Not really sure what the appeal of night skiing at MSA is? I did enough night skiing at the local bump when I was in high school, hard pass. I do want to get up to MSA and ski it in the day time at some point, though.

I'd suggest the Slides instead of the trails at Whiteface, but someone not into trees/bumps/terrain isn't going to bucket list the Slides. But the Slides are far more of a unique northeast experience than a couple of groomers, regardless of historical significance. Two of the Stowe front four are just wide groomers and only one short pitch at the top of National, a bit overrated as a group.

Spring skiing at K after all other resorts have closed is worthy of such a list, it is a party and a great experience and sometimes the skiing is even pretty good, too. Tuckerman depends on skill and fitness level, certainly a great aspirational goal for someone while they are fit enough to go for it!

I'd hike for the BB stuff at SL, no interest in the cat, but I get the appeal. Hiking sidecountry at any area with significant options could be a good bucket list item for those looking to broaden their horizons. No opinion on the Stratton24, certainly a unique event, but not one that I have any interest in doing.

Edited by thesnowway
  • Like 1

Eight must-hit Northeast spots to ski before your knees turn to mush.

I've experienced a few of these spots and posted photos below.  I interpret this topic as more of:  what are some of the most memorable places or runs you've experienced in the Northeast?

THE OLYMPIC TRAILS AT WHITEFACE

I'd agree that Whiteface is really special because of the big mountain feel of the place compared to a lot of eastern ski areas.

1416926684_vjenhklzv.jpg

THE SINGLE CHAIR, MAD RIVER GLEN

Another good one.  It's not just that the single chair is a cool antique, but THE TERRAIN it serves is challenging and beautiful, featuring some of the best tree skiing anywhere and fun, narrow, curvy trails.

721750210_vandmatmrg.thumb.jpeg.9e481dcd13f7fe3d8a53dc4b477c4b37.jpeg

NIGHT SKIING AT MONT SAINTE-ANNE

I only skied MSA in the day time.  Night skiing there sounds like it would be a good way to get frostbite most of the winter🤪  But its a fine ski area and cool region to visit when you also check out Le Massif and tour the Old City of Quebec. 

1226897442_pic2.jpg

SPRING SKIING IN KILLINGTON

King of Spring, Killington, April 1976.  I got my stretch pants, Elton John sunglasses, and Yamaha skis!  Killington was the first New England mountain I fell in love with.  Haven't been there in almost 20 years now.

2142946931_killingtonjim1976(2).jpg.f578

THE FRONT FOUR, STOWE

Recent issue of Ski Magazine had Stowe rated as #18 resort in the East, just ahead of Wawa.  That's nuts!  Stowe is definitely one of the very top bucket list destinations for Eastern skiers.

1263833410_pic4.jpg

SUGARLOAF CAT SKIING

I haven't done the cat there, but Brackett Basin, Burnt Mtn, and all that side country at Sugarloaf is really fun to explore.  Great mountain.

sugarloaf.thumb.jpeg.fd24aae13e6921fb708e9112a9306db3.jpeg

TUCKERMAN RAVINE

I haven't done Tuckerman Ravine, but I'd say the view of it from Wildcat ski area on a pretty day is another Eastern bucket list item!  When people ask me what's my favorite ski area in the East some of the big names come up, but I also always mention Wildcat.

wildcat.jpg.339b794cec6d99e5e2af695905d3ad91.jpg

THE STRATTON 24

No photos from Stratton.  I've skied there a few times, but it's been quite a while.  Skiing there for 24 hours straight sounds like another good way to get frostbite unless it's a spring time event.

Bonus items, with a few my own recommendations for a Northeastern snowrider's bucket list .

LE MASSIF, QC

Scenically, this place is unlike anywhere I've ever skied.  Think Lord of the Rings.  Pretty big mountain beside an ocean-like body of water.  

1226897559_pic4.jpg

SADDLEBACK, ME

This is why Saddleback must be resurrected.  Super beautiful mtn with fun trails and trees.  Best place I ever skied that went on the lost list, hopefully not for long.

saddleback.jpg.a2ef14b644c57bd771aee3fdb86d151f.jpg

CANNON MOUNTAIN, NH

A great and rugged New England mtn that should not be missed.  Was there when Mittersill was hike-to only and that was fun too.  Riding the tram and visiting the Ski Museum add to Cannon's unique appeal.

1290970019_pic5.jpg

SUGARBUSH, VT

Gotta put Sugarbush on this list too.  Big and burly enough to serve as a fine one-stop destination for a multi-day visit, except that it would be a crime not to also check out MRG for a day when in the vicinity.

sugarbush.jpg.85080ff6f2dc7d35e336bdf09590ffa5.jpg

Edited by JimK
  • Like 3

I'm having trouble getting the old bmp photo from Killington to show here.

King of Spring, Killington, April 1976.  I got my stretch pants, Elton John sunglasses, and Yamaha skis!  Killington was the first New England mountain I fell in love with.  Haven't been there in almost 20 years now.

getPart?uid=AF14JC8L6ek9Xg8ssAmskG-dYSY&partId=2&saveAs=killington+jim+1976.bmp&scope=STANDARDkillington jim 1976 (2).bmp

killington jim 1976 (3).bmp

Edited by JimK

24 minutes ago, JimK said:

I'm having trouble getting the old bmp photo from Killington to show here.

getPart?uid=AF14JC8L6ek9Xg8ssAmskG-dYSY&partId=2&saveAs=killington+jim+1976.bmp&scope=STANDARD killington jim 1976 (2).bmp 686.14 kB · 2 downloads

killington jim 1976 (3).bmp 686.14 kB · 0 downloads

2142946931_killingtonjim1976(2).jpg.f578a3166fc51fb48ecc689af3a1286f.jpg

May have to save them as a jpg. Not sure the forum software handles bmp

• Like 1