Boyne's First Money Drop is Loon

And boy is it a big one!

https://liftblog.com/2020/01/17/announcing-kanc-8-the-easts-first-eight-pack/

Will be interesting to see what West Basin is like after this thing goes in for next season.  I noticed this year they added the semi-auto Klik hydrants to Rampasture, I would think they would want to add them to several more trails over there with that type of capacity boost.  The most interesting thing about this FlightPath is that it appears the formerly approved South Peak base and learning pod has been ditched.  That section was suppose to link the Riverwalk development to South with a pulse gondola Riverwalk was going to install and operate (and I believe was one of their early sales points).  Wonder if that is completely dead too.  Hard to believe that Escape Route will still sit isolated as a return to a parking lot trail only that actually gets snowmaking every year.

Thought?

There's a lot to unpack in the whole project. Lots of pros and cons. Hoping to give this more thought and weigh in productively.

But a gut reaction on thier ditching of the South Peak expansion plans: I really wonder if that whole plan was a bait & switch to sell units at RiverWalk. Over the past couple years RiverWalk has hyped those plans way more than Loon has. I've been watching it closely since it would have created an easy walk-to lift from my house. But I've always been skeptical of its reality.

That is interesting about the gondi not being solid at Riverwalk. To show you how good the press on that was, I thought it was a done deal and it just hadn't been installed yet. I had no idea that it was still up in the air. That is a total bait and switch.

I was wondering if this would actually increase capacity. The article linked to above says that it will increase capacity by 25%, wow!! I assumed the increase in seats would be offset by distance between the carriers. But they must plan to run the line faster to achieve a 25% increase, right? Can the trails serviced by that lift handle 25% more skiers at full capacity?

2 minutes ago, thesnowway said:

That is interesting about the gondi not being solid at Riverwalk. To show you how good the press on that was, I thought it was a done deal and it just hadn't been installed yet. I had no idea that it was still up in the air. That is a total bait and switch.

I was wondering if this would actually increase capacity. The article linked to above says that it will increase capacity by 25%, wow!! I assumed the increase in seats would be offset by distance between the carriers. But they must plan to run the line faster to achieve a 25% increase, right? Can the trails serviced by that lift handle 25% more skiers at full capacity?

The capacity is not impressive, 3,500 people an hour, vs 2,800 for the old lift according to lift blog. 2,800 is very high for a quad, I think 2,400 is more typical.

But there is no terrain expansion to go with it? So basically they're just attempting to address lift lines and pack more people onto the existing trails?

I know this is sorely needed. Should be interesting to see it unfold.

On 1/19/2020 at 6:13 PM, thesnowway said:

Possibly the existing trails can handle the increased capacity.  In my opinion, that is when all the west basin trails are in play for the public.  Rumrunner and Collidge Street are often used for racing and closed to the public.  When that is happening on a weekend, this new chair could overwhelm the remaining terrain there.

Possibly the existing trails can handle the increased capacity.  In my opinion, that is when all the west basin trails are in play for the public.  Rumrunner and Collidge Street are often used for racing and closed to the public.  When that is happening on a weekend, this new chair could overwhelm the remaining terrain there.

Could they move the race course?
7 hours ago, Benski said:

Could they move the race course?

I don't think so, not easily anyway or right now.  Maybe depending on what future terrain expansion might look like, but for no no other terrain fits a course.

• 5 months later...