Sign in to follow this  

Jan 27 and finally got my first ride of the year in. A slow 6miles to get the legs moving again. Figured it was time to start the 2020 thread.

SE Mass was in great shape today. No snow or ice, only a couple of slightly wet spots. Temp was 45. It felt almost like a fall day. Very motivational!

Got a great ride in on Monday in SE MA.  Trails were completely dry and no new blowdown since my big fall cleanups.  My legs and my stats are telling me a few things: 

1) snowboarding and skiing do NOTHING to benefit biking performance.  I've been on the slopes a lot lately and yet this bike kicked my ass. 

2) I'm WAY behind where I was last year.  23 miles (~ rides) less so far compared to 2019.   And that's not because I've been skiing more, I'm actually a few days behind there as well!

Nothing like a good ass-kicking and reflection to gain some motivation. 

Rides 2020-02-26.jpg

First ride of the year last night.  3.5miles.  Took it easy since it was first time out.  Forest is dry as a bone. Lots of trees down that I need to clear from trails.

• Like 1

I got a couple of decent fat bike rides in over the last month between Franklin Falls and Boston Lot. I signed up for the slalom race at Suicide 6 on February 29 and proceeded to crash hard OTB on my first practice run. Ended up with bruised ribs and a big old bruise where the bars tried to poke through my leg. No race run and no rides since then, but at least I'm able to breath deeply again without wincing 🙄 

• Like 1

Rode another ride last night 4.5 miles.  I think my ass hurt more last night then the night before.  

• Like 1

First long ride (9 miles). I am dead.  That is all I haveimage.thumb.png.0da2cb24a6ca224eb24175851570b742.pnge(9 .

Edited by Puck it
  • Like 2

Tried a low-tide beach ride on the fatty yesterday. Conditions are still too much 'winter beach' with mostly rocks.  In summer it's a good 10 mile ride on hardpack sand. Yesterday I struggled to do 2.5.  

So I'm not really a mountain biker, but had a long history as a suburban bike commuter and enjoy riding my hybrid on paved trails/streets in warmer months.  Out here in UT I have access to my son's mountain bike and I've started riding it for an hour or two several times a week.  Until today I stayed on asphalt.  But today 4/30/20  I rode one hour on a mulchy trail near Little Cottonwood Canyon that was super scenic and a great place to get used the the different feel of a mountain bike.

I'm not ready for these steeper, sandy trails.

dimple bike purple.jpg

I was surprised how nicely the bike rolled on this mulch path.

dimple bike pug.jpg

Using an old ski helmet and garden gloves and double underwear.  My normal biking stuff is back east.  75 degs out here today.  May go skinning at Alta tomorrow if weather cooperates.

bike glove.jpg

Edited by JimK

18 hours ago, JimK said:

So I'm not really a mountain biker, but had a long history as a suburban bike commuter and enjoy riding my hybrid on paved trails/streets in warmer months.  Out here in UT I have access to my son's mountain bike and I've started riding it for an hour or two several times a week.  Until today I stayed on asphalt.  But today 4/30/20  I rode one hour on a mulchy trail near Little Cottonwood Canyon that was super scenic and a great place to get used the the different feel of a mountain bike.

I'm not ready for these steeper, sandy trails.

dimple bike purple.jpg

I was surprised how nicely the bike rolled on this mulch path.

dimple bike pug.jpg

Using an old ski helmet and garden gloves and double underwear.  My normal biking stuff is back east.  75 degs out here today.  May go skinning at Alta tomorrow if weather cooperates.

bike glove.jpg

Looks like some killer weather, terrain and scenery for a ride!!  I'm jealous since we've had a pretty coldm, wet, windy spring here in the Northeast.  Bugs are gonna love it when it finally warms up!

You got a nice bike there for exploring too.  I've never seen a Zesty in person, but they have been pretty well liked, especially the frames.  

I feel a little guilty using my son's toys while he's been very busy WFH.  Although I am also helping to install a sidewalk and widen his driveway, so I'm only a partial moocher, goof-off, retired dad.  And most importantly, his mom has been rewarding him excellent home cooked meals for the last three months.