Jan 27 and finally got my first ride of the year in. A slow 6miles to get the legs moving again. Figured it was time to start the 2020 thread.

SE Mass was in great shape today. No snow or ice, only a couple of slightly wet spots. Temp was 45. It felt almost like a fall day. Very motivational!

• 5 weeks later...

Got a great ride in on Monday in SE MA.  Trails were completely dry and no new blowdown since my big fall cleanups.  My legs and my stats are telling me a few things: 

1) snowboarding and skiing do NOTHING to benefit biking performance.  I've been on the slopes a lot lately and yet this bike kicked my ass. 

2) I'm WAY behind where I was last year.  23 miles (~ rides) less so far compared to 2019.   And that's not because I've been skiing more, I'm actually a few days behind there as well!

Nothing like a good ass-kicking and reflection to gain some motivation. 

Rides 2020-02-26.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got a couple of decent fat bike rides in over the last month between Franklin Falls and Boston Lot. I signed up for the slalom race at Suicide 6 on February 29 and proceeded to crash hard OTB on my first practice run. Ended up with bruised ribs and a big old bruise where the bars tried to poke through my leg. No race run and no rides since then, but at least I'm able to breath deeply again without wincing 🙄 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tried a low-tide beach ride on the fatty yesterday. Conditions are still too much 'winter beach' with mostly rocks.  In summer it's a good 10 mile ride on hardpack sand. Yesterday I struggled to do 2.5.  

So I'm not really a mountain biker, but had a long history as a suburban bike commuter and enjoy riding my hybrid on paved trails/streets in warmer months.  Out here in UT I have access to my son's mountain bike and I've started riding it for an hour or two several times a week.  Until today I stayed on asphalt.  But today 4/30/20  I rode one hour on a mulchy trail near Little Cottonwood Canyon that was super scenic and a great place to get used the the different feel of a mountain bike.

I'm not ready for these steeper, sandy trails.

dimple bike purple.jpg

I was surprised how nicely the bike rolled on this mulch path.

dimple bike pug.jpg

Using an old ski helmet and garden gloves and double underwear.  My normal biking stuff is back east.  75 degs out here today.  May go skinning at Alta tomorrow if weather cooperates.

bike glove.jpg

Edited by JimK
18 hours ago, JimK said:

So I'm not really a mountain biker, but had a long history as a suburban bike commuter and enjoy riding my hybrid on paved trails/streets in warmer months.  Out here in UT I have access to my son's mountain bike and I've started riding it for an hour or two several times a week.  Until today I stayed on asphalt.  But today 4/30/20  I rode one hour on a mulchy trail near Little Cottonwood Canyon that was super scenic and a great place to get used the the different feel of a mountain bike.

I'm not ready for these steeper, sandy trails.

dimple bike purple.jpg

I was surprised how nicely the bike rolled on this mulch path.

dimple bike pug.jpg

Using an old ski helmet and garden gloves and double underwear.  My normal biking stuff is back east.  75 degs out here today.  May go skinning at Alta tomorrow if weather cooperates.

bike glove.jpg

Looks like some killer weather, terrain and scenery for a ride!!  I'm jealous since we've had a pretty coldm, wet, windy spring here in the Northeast.  Bugs are gonna love it when it finally warms up!

You got a nice bike there for exploring too.  I've never seen a Zesty in person, but they have been pretty well liked, especially the frames.  

I feel a little guilty using my son's toys while he's been very busy WFH.  Although I am also helping to install a sidewalk and widen his driveway, so I'm only a partial moocher, goof-off, retired dad.  And most importantly, his mom has been rewarding him excellent home cooked meals for the last three months.

• 4 months later...

Been doing a ton of great riding lately.  Just matched my total mileage from all of 2019 with 3.5 months still to go this year.   I've hit a lot of great new(to me) spots in NH and MA,  plus really dialed in a lot of trails I ride a lot.   I have a 3-4 weeks of work travel and no riding starting tomorrow.  So I'm hoping to catch on posting some ride reports here.  What a kick-ass year for riding, hoping it carries right into the winter!

image.thumb.png.8f9e5251edcdfeca4df3d7f6b8ce9310.png

17 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

Been doing a ton of great riding lately.  Just matched my total mileage from all of 2019 with 3.5 months still to go this year.   I've hit a lot of great new(to me) spots in NH and MA,  plus really dialed in a lot of trails I ride a lot.   I have a 3-4 weeks of work travel and no riding starting tomorrow.  So I'm hoping to catch on posting some ride reports here.  What a kick-ass year for riding, hoping it carries right into the winter!

image.thumb.png.8f9e5251edcdfeca4df3d7f6b8ce9310.png

That is awesome. Wish I could say the same. I will attempting my first ride this week on Notchway for a couple laps. I will see how the new hip feels. I can't go past 90 on the hip so have to raise seat up. 

I've been back in the Wash DC area since late July.  Trying to ride my old hybrid bike fairly often.  Here are some photos from the East, Aug-Sep 2020.

Spent two weeks in Aug at the beach in North Carolina, often rode on the nice flat road seen to right below next to ocean.

biking VA 2020 NC sunrise.jpg

biking VA 2020 NC shore.jpg

My wife enjoyed riding at the beach too.

biking VA 2020 kathy.jpg

This is a bike trail near my home in Northern VA.  It's green here!  And there are a lot of people and deer.

biking VA 2020 w&od.jpg

This is the house I grew up in.  My parents bought it new in 1959 for $25,000 and owned it for 45 years. Probably worth +800K now.  It's a couple miles from where I currently live.

biking VA 2020 old home.jpg

This is the C&O Canal towpath near Wash DC.  Nice place for a quiet ride and very shady.  Canal to right, Potomac River to left.  Towpath goes for 185 miles.  Rode the whole thing last summer in three days, camping beside the towpath three nights.

biking VA 2020 canal.jpg

Edited by JimK