fcksummer

Best Weather Sites/Resources/Apps?

*following because I want to know!

My approach is to read everything and look for the consensus. I look at:

- flowx: One of the best visual presentations of weather forecasts. Allows you to choose models (NOAA, CMC, NAM, et ). No text or discussion but really great visual layers. Only available on Android I think.
- Windy: I feel like this is better for the coastal marine work that I do vs snow reporting, but it's unparalleled for looking at wind. Great customization for various models and weather focuses.
- Wunderground has lost a lot of its best features recently. It's still my favorite radar mapping.
- NWS: point forecasts with elevation adjustments. Excellent way to adjust for elevation. I feel like it always overestimates wind and underestimates snow. But that helps me manage my expectations.
- Weather Channel app: Yup I admit it. Some of the simplest presentations of general weather. Good first pass to let you know if you should look deeper.
- AccuWeather and DarkSky: lumping them together because they both excel at the same thing...hyperlocal minute forecasts. These aren't great for storm predictions but damn are they useful for escaping rain windows.
- NOAA Snow probability maps.
- Random media forecasters: WMUR is above average. TIm Kelly, gotta love a skiing weatherman! Then I bump into him near my house in MA when he's doing surf reports!

But you also have to read the garbage. The new sensation on FB (who I won't mention) is a must read. He's not a meteorologist but he implies that he his. His "forecasts" are just a regurgitation of NOAA discussion s. And his geography is horrendous. He considers Cannon, Loon, and Wildcat to be on the Northwest side of the Presidentials. And considers Black and Cranmore to be on the Southwest side of the Presidentials. His reports are important because he has more that 9000 followers taking his advice on where to go. It's good to be aware of that too!

^^^ covered most of what I would recommend. 

Couple things to add-

Twitter- I followed a bunch of local meteorologists and added them to a list. Just converted the list over to the NMS Twitter account - https://twitter.com/i/lists/1233409667025588225

MeteoBlue - I really like their 5 day Meteogram graphs. I use it a lot for photography for predicting cloud cover.

If I'm really slow at work then I lurk this forum during storm watches. https://www.americanwx.com/bb/forum/9-new-england/ I don't understand 90% of what they're saying. The highs and lows for each model runs they post really makes it useless for a layman but its fun.

• Like 1

• Braatancast on Facebook is excellent (NoVT focus though sometimes mentions other areas when applicable).
  • Tim Kelly has the Ski the East forecast on YouTube and also does Jay Peak weather write ups 2x per week.
  • Josh Fox forecasts for MRG on the Single Chair Blog. Not really that fond of his writing style, and his forecasts are a bit bipolar. Still good for a detailed forecast for the MRV.
  • NOAA forecast maps are great. I have a page on my site with all of the relevant NOAA maps, a radar loop, and the Mansfield Snow Sake, nice to have them all in the same place.
  • MV Avalanche Advisory is good for when I get up on Washington in the spring.
  • NECN used to have excellent forecasts but it seems NECN got swallowed up into a Boston area channel and their forecasts are now very Boston metro centric. I'll have to check out WMUR and WCAX as a replacements. I don't have cable/television, so I am limited by what is posted online.
Edited by thesnowway
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 4:57 PM, thesnowway said:
  • Braatancast on Facebook is excellent (NoVT focus though sometimes mentions other areas when applicable).
  • Tim Kelly has the Ski the East forecast on YouTube and also does Jay Peak weather write ups 2x per week.
  • Josh Fox forecasts for MRG on the Single Chair Blog. Not really that fond of his writing style, and his forecasts are a bit bipolar. Still good for a detailed forecast for the MRV.
  • NOAA forecast maps are great. I have a page on my site with all of the relevant NOAA maps, a radar loop, and the Mansfield Snow Sake, nice to have them all in the same place.
  • MV Avalanche Advisory is good for when I get up on Washington in the spring.
  • NECN used to have excellent forecasts but it seems NECN got swallowed up into a Boston area channel and their forecasts are now very Boston metro centric. I'll have to check out WMUR and WCAX as a replacements. I don't have cable/television, so I am limited by what is posted online.

Just a forewarning that I'd been working on a weather page here. It's likely to end up with a lot of the same info as yours so hope you don't think I'm ripping you off!

This sucks EUdGpd7XsAQSEXT?format=jpg&name=medium
Apparently they are dumping the android dark sky app 
[mention=8]Cannonballer[/mention]
Yeah, I just read that earlier. It's funny though, it's one of the only apps I actually pay a subscription for and I just cancelled it about 2 weeks ago because I wasn't loving it as much lately.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk