Jay, Smuggs, Stowe, Whiteface are all closer to my house and all just got a ton of fresh snow. All skiing great I’m sure. But this trip was a true adventure to somewhere I’ve always wanted to check out.

I checked the reports and Snow Ridge got 24” by closing time Friday and it was still snowing. I had made no alternative plans so I went for it.

They got a storm total of 29”. The LES skied incredibly well, as good as any snow I’ve ever skied east or west. Truly the most wonderful part of the whole experience. Even the chopped up crud skied extremely well. From 9-1pm I found fresh tracks of boot to knee deep powder. I was on the fattest skis by far.

My first impression of Snow Ridge was that it was really tiny, which it sort of is with only 500 vert. But in reality it has a lot to offer. Off the main double chair you get traverse out skier left and there is a really cool ravine. On the main hill there a lots of little tree shots which don’t get tracked out to fast.

Around 11 they opened the the snow pocket t bar. Snow was untouched and incredible. There is some pretty short but super fun tree skiing off to the far skiers right.

Overall it was a great experience. People were super friendly and welcoming. Very willing to give up the best stashes. Place is very dated, lifts seemed held together with duct tape and string. T bar is on its last legs.

IMG_3129.JPGIMG_3128.JPGIMG_3127.JPGIMG_3124.JPGIMG_3123.JPGIMG_3116.JPGIMG_3120.JPGIMG_3118.JPGIMG_3114.JPGAdjustments.JPG

• Like 4

Looks like an awesome day. Love the tiny little grooming strip under the double chair. Looks like they left most of it ungroomed. Good call on an epic powder day, beat all the traffic at the larger mountains and get freshies later into the day. 👍

That was my impression of Snow Ridge when I went their 2 years ago for lake effect. I also payed like 30 dollars round trip including a hot lunch at the ski area. The place as an impressive amount of verity for such a small hill.

The T-Bar rarely opens. When I was there both of the main doubles broke down though at different times and the T bar was closed. I believe the T Bar was the first produced by Hall lifts which started in there base area. I found that trivia cool. Definitely could some new lifts.

I think it has a lot of potential as a local hill for Syracuse Utica and Watertown. It’s normal sized for that area and on the big side on the frequent occasions it is open boarder to boarder competing against WRODs

I was impressed with the terrain they had for a little place. You can keep traversing further and further skiers right off the t bar. My favorite stash was dropping off the backside of little mountain chair. I did it three times. Fresh steep tracks each time. A lot of poling to get back to the lift though so not something you could do all day. I tired to go further out but was spoken too that I can’t go out of bounds like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

@SkiBearded! and @Benski How would it be on a board?  You're description of traverses to stashes sounds great, but potentially infeasible on a board.  Only asking because my nephew's GF goes to Syracuse and I know he'd love an excuse to ride cool spots out that way.

Oh it would suck on a board. Unless you just take it off and walk. They seem to suffer from lack of help and struggle to get lifts open. You end up doing a doing a lot of hiking on flats at the bottom until they get other lifts open around 10-11. There were a lot of snowboarders there though and they seemed to be having fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

• Like 1

I skied there a lot as a kid. When there was no snow anywhere else. Snow Ridge had it.  It is called Snow Ridge for a reason. It is a slog back if you don't plan for it. 

• Like 1