Baby's first time out at Magic

With the warm weather and lack of crowds I decided to take our 6-month old out for a little sliding yesterday. Have an pretty amazing carrier system I have been waiting to use. Clearly I was not going to go stomping moguls and she has been supporting her head since day 1. Took about 1:10 to skin to the top of Magic via Carpet-Sleeve and was brutal with an extra 30 pounds on the back plus my first real skinning trip of the year. She slept the entire way up. Then did some soft, easy turns down Trick to Wishbone, Wand, and lower Red Line.  Did a couple other laps (Magician to Black Line) and Twilight. Magician and Twi were still hard pack. Even with the warmth today the lack of sun and freezing temps should keep some natural stuff for next weekend.She had a blast. However, either day light savings or the skiing had her up all last night  chatting. 

max skiing1.jpg

max2.jpg

Edited by Flying Yeti
  • Like 4

I actually crossed country skied with my oldest when he was a baby in a backpack like that . Dangerous actually. I wiped out coming down a small hill and face planted because of the weight on my back. He also face planted. Wife put the kibosh to ever doing that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

Best wishes with family life.  I raised four skiers that are now adults.  Getting them involved in skiing from a young age was one of my favorite activities and led to a lot of great family time.  My wife was not a particularly avid skier, but when I made the effort to get the kids into it she was very supportive and joined the fun too for many years.

I used a simpler 1980s/90s style baby backpack to carry several of my kids for brief downhill and cross country skiing outings when they were in the age 1-3 range.  Somewhere I have a photo of downhill skiing with my son in that rig at about age 15 mos.  He is now PSIA L-3 at Snowbird.  And could now probably ski carrying the geezer me in a backpack down Great Scott👨‍🦳

I thought a lot of ski areas banned babies in backpacks on the slopes in recent years?  I used to have to be careful loading on a chairlift.  You might want to try to keep under the radar with that practice.

Edited by JimK
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, JimK said:

I thought a lot of ski areas banned babies in backpacks on the slopes in recent years?  You might want to try to keep under the radar with that practice.

Not sure but it was definitely a one and done sort of thing. She will be on skis soon enough. I know as recently as last year I saw a few women with young kiddos (a few months) in packs/pouches riding up the single chair at MRG. I would never take her on a chair, that would be a bit much for my anxiety. 

Edited by Flying Yeti
  • Like 1

I know as recently as last year I saw a few women with young kiddos (a few months) in packs/pouches riding up the single chair at MRG.

That's pretty cool! There's a small community ski hill with a rope tow here in Lincoln, NH. There appears to be some kind of new-parent meetup that goes on. I've been over there and seen a whole herd of parents with babies in backpacks doing hot laps. The tow is pretty steep and fast!