https://berkshireeast.com/the-resort/blog/statement-on-covid-19

Berkshire East will close for the season today, Thursday, March 12 at 4pm and Catamount Ski Area will not reopen this weekend. COVID-19 has been discovered in the surrounding hill towns and multiple people are being quarantined. To be clear, no known Berkshire East or Catamount customers or employees have been effected by this illness, but as the GM of these businesses, I have a responsibility to my employees and my customers to act swiftly to contain any potential virus spread in areas that I can control.

Was literally going to post a thread about how this outbreak is likely to close places down shortly. Berkshire East beat me to it.

My guess is this weekend will be it for a lot of places. 

5 hours ago, ABV said:

Theres no way Cannon will close early with all that snow they made !! 

lol

I was surprised to see that Cannon is still running the Tram (per today's snow report).

Could be an incredible spring for turn earning if areas start shutting down early. Get some exercise, enjoy some skiing, and do it by myself without needing to social distance!

I guess its nice they say they will make up the difference for employees between unemployment and their normal pay.  I for one can't see how that will work though, as I believe you have to report any income while on unemployment.  I would think the Jay pay (I'm guessing Burke is doing the same) would potentially/likely reduce the unemployment pay.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Hopefully a ton of businesses don't shed a bunch of their payroll in this fashion.  Unemployment will quickly go bankrupt!

Unless a major exception is made, any company that lays people off has their unemployment rate raised the next few years so the system can recoup.

I had an injured employee years ago (not injured at work) who out of the kindness of my heart I laid off.  It cost my company thousands of dollars a year for a while in increased contributions for those of us (including me) who worked there.

Edited by SkiMangoJazz
This is out of control.  

Its serious. At the current growth rate we will be out of hospital rooms in 2 weeks and hospital will have to start rejecting people. Millions of people could get sick and thousands could die. The death rate of this and other serious medical conditions might increase a lot of we don’t “flatten the curve” and “social distance”
  • Sad 1
6 hours ago, Benski said:

Its serious. At the current growth rate we will be out of hospital rooms in 2 weeks and hospital will have to start rejecting people. Millions of people could get sick and thousands could die. The death rate of this and other serious medical conditions might increase a lot of we don’t “flatten the curve” and “social distance”

Like the swine flu.  81 million affected. 480K hospitalized and 18K dead.  No quartile for that.  This could have been handled better than this mass hysteria.  

It certainly is out of control. And it certainly could have been handled better. But I don't think there is enough hysteria yet given that there is still so much denial. We need to stop thinking of ourselves as potential victims (it is my choice!) and start thinking of ourselves as already infected and potential spreaders (it is our responsibility).

There are two possibilities: this is an hysterical over correction or we are not doing enough. If it is the former, this whole thing blows over by the summer and we all get back to business and laugh about it. If it is the latter, society is going to be challenged and changed like it hasn't been since WWII and we'll all look back and say not enough was done soon enough (actually, that is already the case either way).

We are in collective denial because the response has impacted how we would prefer to live our lives. Getting a few more ski days this season is not worth continuing to spread the virus. Everyone needs to immediately start thinking of themselves as a carrier/transmitter of the virus rather than someone that could potentially be infected. Symptoms may not present for two weeks while you carry and transmit. Do not look at other people as potential threats to your health, look at them as potential victims to your failure to social distance.

1 hour ago, thesnowway said:

It certainly is out of control. And it certainly could have been handled better. But I don't think there is enough hysteria yet given that there is still so much denial. We need to stop thinking of ourselves as potential victims (it is my choice!) and start thinking of ourselves as already infected and potential spreaders (it is our responsibility).

There are two possibilities: this is an hysterical over correction or we are not doing enough. If it is the former, this whole thing blows over by the summer and we all get back to business and laugh about it. If it is the latter, society is going to be challenged and changed like it hasn't been since WWII and we'll all look back and say not enough was done soon enough (actually, that is already the case either way).

We are in collective denial because the response has impacted how we would prefer to live our lives. Getting a few more ski days this season is not worth continuing to spread the virus. Everyone needs to immediately start thinking of themselves as a carrier/transmitter of the virus rather than someone that could potentially be infected. Symptoms may not present for two weeks while you carry and transmit. Do not look at other people as potential threats to your health, look at them as potential victims to your failure to social distance.

Medical can not come into agreement either on what should be done.  The flu is highly contagious and the response has never been like this. I believe we should be taking precautions but media and social media have dictated theses reactions. The deaths are still overwhelmingly towards the elderly and frail.  

IMG_1998.PNG

Edited by Puck it

Still Open as of 3/15-

Smugglers Notch - 3/16 - Last day

Cannon - Cannon Mountain is open on a day to day basis until and unless otherwise directed by the Governor.

Bretton Woods - As of 2:30 pm this afternoon, Bretton Woods has made the decision to operate tomorrow

Waterville Valley

Gunstock

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Puck it said:

Medical can not come into agreement either on what should be done.  The flu is highly contagious and the response has never been like this. I believe we should be taking precautions but media and social media have dictated theses reactions. The deaths are still overwhelmingly towards the elderly and frail.  

I haven't seen any disagreement by epidemiologists and health professionals on this issue. This is more contagious than the flu and no one has immunity. The flu is not capable of maxing out our entire health care system, as we've seen COVID-19 do in other countries that did not contain early enough. The reactions are necessary and the overwhelming majority of experts are in extreme agreement on that. We haven't even begun to see the death count on this because it is just getting started so precautions to prevent more deaths and cases that require extensive medical treatment is entirely warranted.

Big time catch 22 on this issue... either way, people will look back and say either "too much was done" or "not enough was done". Either way, the reaction is not going to be enough or too much. Looking at results in other countries that are further along than us, it seems pretty plain that not enough is being done. Better to hit it hard for a few weeks than have a lingering crisis. Hitting it hard up front would be better for the economy, jobs, and spending too... not just health outcomes. The more we delay with this gradual slide to stopping the spread, the more long term economic paid we will suffer.

5 hours ago, thesnowway said:

I haven't seen any disagreement by epidemiologists and health professionals on this issue. This is more contagious than the flu and no one has immunity. The flu is not capable of maxing out our entire health care system, as we've seen COVID-19 do in other countries that did not contain early enough. The reactions are necessary and the overwhelming majority of experts are in extreme agreement on that. We haven't even begun to see the death count on this because it is just getting started so precautions to prevent more deaths and cases that require extensive medical treatment is entirely warranted.

Big time catch 22 on this issue... either way, people will look back and say either "too much was done" or "not enough was done". Either way, the reaction is not going to be enough or too much. Looking at results in other countries that are further along than us, it seems pretty plain that not enough is being done. Better to hit it hard for a few weeks than have a lingering crisis. Hitting it hard up front would be better for the economy, jobs, and spending too... not just health outcomes. The more we delay with this gradual slide to stopping the spread, the more long term economic paid we will suffer.

This is unfortunately a Pandemic of a new strain of virus.  We have had others, but nothing that got this out of conrtrol this fast in over a century.  And while our medical knowledge and understanding are leaps and bounds ahead of what they were for the last global pandemic, we still don't know anything about viruses and how to stop those never seen or dealt with before.  The reality is this:  regardless of how much we lock down for the next month or 2, people will die from this.  That is nature, Darwin at its finest.  We can trim that a bit if we flatten the curve, but do too much and the economic repercussions will last for years after this.  So we get a handle on the bug, but then the economic fallout will create another human crisis after.  Strap in, gonna be a bumpy ride for quite a while.

10 hours ago, thesnowway said:

I did not say epidemiologists.  Other health professionals are all over the map from nothing or to the sky is falling.  I am not going debate the point.

• Like 1
I did not say epidemiologists.  Other health professionals are all over the map from nothing or to the sky is falling.  I am not going debate the point.

I have an uncle who is a health care professional who thought it was no bid deal and was touching everyone March 7th at a wedding. Now his son is sick and one other person is sick and tested positive, one is sick and awaiting a test, 2 including my dad got a fever for 2 days and recorded before being tested, and he and his wife tested positive with no symptoms.