Rarely post here but we went out for a great day at Loon on Monday. Warmed up to the 60s with great spring conditions, slopes never got mushy.

Main complaint is with the card readers, seems like one has to go through gyrations in order to get the cards to be read. Same or similar system at Wachusett and I haven't had any real problems there.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, hammer said:

Rarely post here but we went out for a great day at Loon on Monday. Warmed up to the 60s with great spring conditions, slopes never got mushy.

Main complaint is with the card readers, seems like one has to go through gyrations in order to get the cards to be read. Same or similar system at Wachusett and I haven't had any real problems there.

I was there early season and it was a complete mess with the card readers. It looked like there was a huge line at the gondola but it was really just caused by a backup at the card readers. 

The card readers worked fine for me, my jacket has a dedicated card pocket in the upper arm.  These are dual frequency as well, Loon's passes are on VHF and the Ikon passes are HF frequency.  I've been using Loon media, has anyone tried and had less luck with the Ikon pass?

My wife and I have used Ikon passes at Loon this season. I have an outside pocket on the forearm of my jacket. I was able to easily put the pocket with pass directly on the reader and it worked fine. She started with her pass in the outside chest pocket of her jacket and had a hard time getting it to read. She moved it to the waist pocket of her jacket and had an equal amount of trouble. Everyone else around had mostly her experience vs mine. Throughout the day many chairs went empty while people struggled to get through the gates

I skied Alyeska a couple years ago with a buddy who is 6'6". He started with the pass in his chest pocket. The upper mtn had a ton of snow so the card reader was around his knees. He had to do a ridiculous forward bend to get it to read. He moved it to his thigh pocket for the next few runs and it worked a little better. Then we went to the base where there was virtually no snow. The reader was at waist level and he had to jump to make it work. Apparently he needs to change pockets based on individual lifts?

In other words, it's complete shite for technology. It helps the resorts but does nothing to enhance the experience of the consumer. We're the ones who have to jump through hoops....and pay extra for it!