Anyone skin any resorts since the big shut down? Crowded? Any resort employees around to say anything? Seems like most aren't going to care this year with the circumstances. 

Really wish I had a splitboard! 😪

In Utah most ski areas are prohibiting it inside their boundaries, but Alta is allowing it and my son was up there yesterday and is back again today.  I might be trying it soon.  He has an extra set-up I can use...if he gets it back from on loan to a friend.  Meanwhile, this period offers me a chance to do more stuff with my non-skiing wife.  We have our own snowshoes and went snowshoeing on St. Paddy's Day and will go again soon.

Also, there's a neat state park out here that is still open called Antelope Island with great wildlife spotting opportunities.  Great for scenic drives and lonely hikes.  Need to get back there again.  Photos below from Last March 2019, saw some very neat wildlife including pronghorn antelope, tons of bison up close and a golden eagle in only a 2-3 hour visit:

antelope island hike.jpg

antelope island bison.jpg

antelope island hike2.jpg

antelope island golden eagle.jpg

antelope island pronghorn.jpg

Edited by JimK
  • Like 1

I may next week. Waiting to see how things play out on the next few days. I'm concerned about being in the wrong place at the wrong time if things get really locked down.

I've been getting on the mountain bike close to home instead. Tons of people out walking in the woods today! About 10x more than I'm used to seeing on a day like this.

1 hour ago, Cannonballer said:

I may next week. Waiting to see how things play out on the next few days. I'm concerned about being in the wrong place at the wrong time if things get really locked down.

I've been getting on the mountain bike close to home instead. Tons of people out walking in the woods today! About 10x more than I'm used to seeing on a day like this.

Just went for a hike around here and it was absolutely packed. Never seen the parking lots filled they were they were.

• Like 1
Just went for a hike around here and it was absolutely packed. Never seen the parking lots filled they were they were.

Hiking should be fine, just avoid crowded hiking trails. I am worried people clustering at places like Breakneck ridge and Blue Mountain creating a problem.

Ski areas should be encouraged to allow skinning to allow people to exercise in uncrowded spaces. I am concerned Tuckermans is going to be packed

Ski areas should be encouraged to allow skinning to allow people to exercise in uncrowded spaces. I am concerned Tuckermans is going to be packed

It's a mixed bag how ski areas are handling it. Everything from Jay Peak saying absolutely not, do not even coming near here! To Cannon's don't ask don't tell attitude. To Tenney encouraging people to come.

I think a lot of the don’t come are ski areas worried about emergency response if someone gets hurt.
Hospitals can’t take ya as there already at overload.

Yeah. Whatever you do, be very careful, don’t rip it down the mountain. Stick to the trees and moguls. You are much less likely to get hurt in technical terrain

12 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

Oh don't even make my bust out idot tele skier vids....we could be here all day! 

I just reminded myself that I have some absolutely terrible post-season skinning footage in the archives.  This is 2010. We had a freak April 30 snow storm of over a foot.  It was about 75 degrees out.  We had a nice skin up in the blazing sun.  Drank a few beers in the closed tram building.  By the time we came out to ski the snow had turned to complete glue and the skiing was a disaster.  Never had so much fun!!!!!

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

I just reminded myself that I have some absolutely terrible post-season skinning footage in the archives.  This is 2010. We had a freak April 30 snow storm of over a foot.  It was about 75 degrees out.  We had a nice skin up in the blazing sun.  Drank a few beers in the closed tram building.  By the time we came out to ski the snow had turned to complete glue and the skiing was a disaster.  Never had so much fun!!!!!

😆 how many beers were really drank at the summit!?

This was posted on the same site
[/url]  

My wife and I thought about Loveland Pass because two days prior to that Video it snowed 10+ inches in the mountains. Then we thought about it for a second - knowing everybody and their brother were going to be there. The distance some had to walk is nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app
  • Like 1
34 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

From Ski The Whites...

Screenshot_20200329-123206.png

Figured this was imminent. Saw a post that there was 400+ people there the other day. Many with out of state plates too.

• Like 1