Figured this was imminent. Saw a post that there was 400+ people there the other day. Many with out of state plates too.

The full podcast is worth a listen. I had a little bit of issue with Andrew and others doing the podcast from up at Hojos while telling other people they shouldn't be there. But they did seem to have some self-awareness about that. The info from the MWAC snow ranger was the real value.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Cutler River Drainage closed. " Pinkham Notch parking lot will be closed to the public, with both the closure orders enforced with fines and even possible jail time.

Please do your part and stay near home, hike in the woods, run a new route, or take up that project you’ve been putting off. The mountains have been around for a long time and will be here when life returns to normal. Thanks again for your cooperation as we navigate these rough waters."

https://mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/end-of-the-season-and-closures/

• Like 1

Let me know if you can't see photos.  Thanks.

2 APR 20, My son the veteran took me the rookie for a bit of skinning action today in Little Cottonwood Canyon at Alta, UT.
I've done downhill skiing for over 50 years and dabbled in cross-country skiing and snowshoeing for almost as long. But this was my first day of skinning in alpine touring equipment. I used my own downhill boots and an extra pair of downhill skis (Volkl Ones, 186cms length, 116mm width) with AT bindings that my son loaned me. He set me up with a pretty heavy rig, but we only did two climbs at Alta; 1) to the top of the Albion Double Chair liftline, and 2) a shorter, but steeper climb from the Wildcat Base to Lower Rustler.
It was a beautiful day on the mountain with blue skies and about 4-5" of new snow. There might have been a hundred cars in the Albion lot, but people were very dispersed and trail traffic was light. For our climb up the Albion liftline I saw about three skiers, two snowshoers, one hiker, and two tobogganers.
The veteran and the rookie.

skinning vet.jpg
skinning rookie.jpg

This is what it's all about! And good motivation during our first climb.

skinning our goal.jpg

The veteran displays his climbing technique.

skinning climb.jpg

Devil's Castle is still there. What a beautiful day!

skinning devil's castle.jpg

Albion liftline skiing.

skinning albion liftline descent.jpg

View from Wildcat Base. We climbed up the intermediate run to right a short way and then caught lower Rustler to left.

skinning wildcat base.jpg

This photo gives a sense of the number of cars in the parking lot beside the Goldminer's Daughter Lodge at about 1PM.

skinning our goal2.jpg

Traversing over to Lower Rustler.

skinning low rustler.jpg

Mission accomplished.

skinning goal accomplished.jpg

It was sad driving by a very lonely looking Snowbird resort.

skinning snowbird.jpg

My conclusion about skinning is that it's a whole lot of shuffling for relatively little schussing. But skiing is skiing and it felt good to get out there 20 days after my last lift served day:yahoo:

Bonus shot my son took of me:

skinning jim action.jpg

Edited by JimK
  • Like 4
21 minutes ago, Machski said:

Add Saddleback to the list prohibiting uphill travel now too.  Wow.

I expect that it will be across the board pretty soon. The problem is that everytime one more place bans it that concentrates more people at the places still allowing it.  Ends up defeating the purpose.

Same was happening on the Florida beaches. One county would close its beaches and the next day there were 2x as many people on the next beach over.  Pretty much the same with the Colorado ski areas.  As soon as Vail and Alterra closed the lifts at the the big resorts the Governor had to step in to close all the other resorts statewide. Otherwise everyone from Vail, Copper, Keystone etc would have been flocking to Ski Cooper and Wolf Creek. 

"Earlier this week, Stowe said it is not allowing skiers who hike up or use skins and then ski back down. Sugarbush and Mad River Glen on Thursday joined the list.

Even though the resorts are already closed, officials say allowing continued skiing was drawing too many people and was not in accordance with Gov. Phil Scott's stay-at-home order.

A dozen local ski areas are now following the ban, including Bolton, Bromley, Jay Peak, Killington, Pico, Mad River Glen, Stowe, Sugarbush, Suicide Six, Middlebury Snow Bowl, Mount Snow and Smugglers' Notch.  https://www.wcax.com/content/news/12-Vermont-resorts-banning-uphill-traffic-569342171.html

It was definitely bittersweet going up to Alta yesterday.  It was my first time that far up LCC in more than three weeks.  Normally this is a great time to be there for lift served skiing with warm sun, yet good snow preservation.  The day time air temp was about 25-30 degs while we puttered around for about three hours, but of course it felt much warmer when we were climbing on the lower mountain out of any breeze.  They usually keep lifts running until the end of April.

Driving by the completely silent Snowbird resort was especially sad because normally they keep running into June, and last year went until early July.  The current stance of Snowbird is that they are closed and will remain closed indefinitely for the good of public health, but they continue to leave an opening in their status updates for reassessing things (with the possibility of reopening this season) as time goes by.  Their next date for a new status report is in early May. I was talking today with someone who knows Snowbird well and the problem now is that even of the national virus situation improves sooner rather than later, if Snowbird is the only or nearly only ski area to reopen in the country this spring it may draw such crowds as to be deemed unhealthy??

I hope they don't shut down uphill access at Alta.  I feel very much safer there than when I go to the grocery store:-(

Edited by JimK
I expect that it will be across the board pretty soon. The problem is that everytime one more place bans it that concentrates more people at the places still allowing it.  Ends up defeating the purpose.
Same was happening on the Florida beaches. One county would close its beaches and the next day there were 2x as many people on the next beach over.  Pretty much the same with the Colorado ski areas.  As soon as Vail and Alterra closed the lifts at the the big resorts the Governor had to step in to close all the other resorts statewide. Otherwise everyone from Vail, Copper, Keystone etc would have been flocking to Ski Cooper and Wolf Creek. 

Yup A Basin allowed it for a couple days and they shut it down - to many people showed up. After that everyone flocked to Loveland Pass where the Governor shut that down. However, this weekend an experienced snowboarder very familiar with Loveland Pass violates the ban and unfortunately got severely injured. Rescue had to get him and was taken the remainder of the way down on a toboggan. Also a snowmobiler trigger an avalanche who needed to be rescued.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 8:07 PM, Smellytele said:

Nice day at Cannon

cannon 1.jpeg

cannon 2.jpeg

cannon 3.jpeg

It has been looking good the last three weeks that I have been up.  However I had the wife with me checking on house and dropping stuff off.  Next Wednesday I will be solo. I may been stuff with me. 

1 May 2020:  My son and I went up to Alta today to do some skinning.  We only climbed about 1000 vertical feet from the Albion Base, past Alf's Restaurant, and partially up the lower part of the Supreme lift.  Good exercise going up.  Coming down was pretty much green circle terrain. We only made one climb and run.  Cloudy day, about 48 degs.  Still plenty of snow.  The whole inbounds area would be skiable if lifts were still running.

alta may 1 start.jpg

My son is pointing out the Sugarloaf lift in the far center.

alta may 1 pointing to sugarloaf.jpg

Approaching Alf's Restaurant, mid-mountain.

alta may 1 alf's.jpg

We stopped climbing at the small cluster of private homes about one-quarter way up the Supreme lift line. 

alta may 1 jim and imp.jpg

alta may 1 inside imp.jpg

Heading back down we passed an area of downed trees near the base of the Supreme Lift.

alta may 1 stumps.jpg

This is my son on one of the few steeper pitches we skied.  This might be my last ski day of the season (day 28), not sure.  The snow should remain skiable for another month or more at Alta for those who want to earn some turns.

alta may 1 action.jpg

Edited by JimK
  • Like 1