Weatherman

Winter 2017-18 gathering planning

At the ski travel expo this week I collected some contacts and idea for group trips for the coming ski season. Here are the preliminary options on the table...

I'd like to hit the ground running in December with an early season option. Realistically this means picking somewhere aggressive with snowmaking that will give a good price. Bretton Woods has always been good to me in the past. We've all seen the cheap ticket options in early December. And they are offering a private apres party with a free drink ticket per person.

I'm going to advertise a ski club organized trip to Jay Peak in mid-December. Last year's pricing was 3 day condo - $345 per person, 5 day condo - $575 per person. That includes use of the water park during the trip. And the kicker is the 3 day trip includes a mid-week season pass to Jay, and the 5-day trip include an unlimited season pass to Jay. You can't beat it with a stick. While this will not be a NMS trip, I will promote it here and hope some members will join.

As for a mid to late season trip... I understand that Sugarloaf wicked far for a lot of people. What about Sugarbush?

• Ski & Stay at the Sugarbush Inn:
    • 2-day weekend: $226 per person
    • 3-day: $320 per person
    • 4-day: $440 per person
    • 5-day: $550 per person
  • Condos are similar prices.

I got the contact info of the Sugarloaf sales manager if people really want to clone the AZ Summit.

I left my contact info with Burke so we'll see what they say. I'm also very willing to consider getting a block at the Upper Pass Lodge and skiing Magic. Hopefully they'd be willing to give us the hookup.

I think I recall hearing about the Jay deal with the season passes.  That's pretty damn good.

Are the Sugarbush prices for 2 days and one night?  Three days, 2 nights, etc...?  If so, It's not terrible, but it's not particularly compelling either... (although I do think Sugarbush would be far better than Sugarloaf for a meetup)

I think I recall hearing about the Jay deal with the season passes.  That's pretty damn good.
Are the Sugarbush prices for 2 days and one night?  Three days, 2 nights, etc...?  If so, It's not terrible, but it's not particularly compelling either... (although I do think Sugarbush would be far better than Sugarloaf for a meetup)

Sugarbush prices are 2 day tickets and 2 nights lodging etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

One thing to clarify when asking for pricing is room occupancy arrangements. With the AZ Summit at Sugarloaf you have to max out the room to get the deal. As an example the arrangement for 4 people is a studio room, which includes a queen size bed and a pull out couch. That's a bit cramped for (likely) four dudes.

Sent from my XT1565 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

One thing to clarify when asking for pricing is room occupancy arrangements. With the AZ Summit at Sugarloaf you have to max out the room to get the deal. As an example the arrangement for 4 people is a studio room, which includes a queen size bed and a pull out couch. That's a bit cramped for (likely) four dudes.

At the ski travel expo this week I collected some contacts and idea for group trips for the coming ski season. Here are the preliminary options on the table...
I'd like to hit the ground running in December with an early season option. Realistically this means picking somewhere aggressive with snowmaking that will give a good price. Bretton Woods has always been good to me in the past. We've all seen the cheap ticket options in early December. And they are offering a private apres party with a free drink ticket per person.
I'm going to advertise a ski club organized trip to Jay Peak in mid-December. Last year's pricing was 3 day condo - $345 per person, 5 day condo - $575 per person. That includes use of the water park during the trip. And the kicker is the 3 day trip includes a mid-week season pass to Jay, and the 5-day trip include an unlimited season pass to Jay. You can't beat it with a stick. While this will not be a NMS trip, I will promote it here and hope some members will join.
As for a mid to late season trip... I understand that Sugarloaf wicked far for a lot of people. What about Sugarbush?
  • Ski & Stay at the Sugarbush Inn:
    • 2-day weekend: $226 per person
    • 3-day: $320 per person
    • 4-day: $440 per person
    • 5-day: $550 per person
  • Condos are similar prices.
I got the contact info of the Sugarloaf sales manager if people really want to clone the AZ Summit.
I left my contact info with Burke so we'll see what they say. I'm also very willing to consider getting a block at the Upper Pass Lodge and skiing Magic. Hopefully they'd be willing to give us the hookup.

Love the SugarBush idea for later and it's an hour closer for me. Upper Pass is a great option too and the early season BW is always a must for me as well. Definitely look into the occupancy as DHS has brought up. Strong work WM

I spoke to the guys at Sport Thoma in Bartlett about a demo day. They were very supportive and gave me the names of the guys at the Lincoln store who can make it happen. Stay tuned!

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Weatherman said:

I spoke to the guys at Sport Thoma in Bartlett about a demo day. They were very supportive and gave me the names of the guys at the Lincoln store who can make it happen. Stay tuned!

Exciting!

1 minute ago, Flying Yeti said:

Golf club demo?

Funny. We want a ski demo so early in the season to be at a place that is reliably going to have terrain open. It doesn't take much snow to open New Hampshire's only lift-serviced golf course.

For the time being I'm marketing this to the mountain as a ski league demo. I want to get my foot in the door in a way that I know will provide the numbers I need.

I'm hoping to distribute comment cards at the demo so that you can record what you thought of the skis. I'll collect the cards, and post the results to threads here. This is how we start the best resource for Eastern-focused ski gear discussion.

Did you end up going with Sport Thoma for the demo gear?  It's a great shop and would be a good fit at BW considering their location.  However, it's worth noting that Sport Thoma is one of the only shops I can think of that carries exactly zero snowboards.  If you want to include any snowboard demos you'll need to include another shop.  (maybe something for a different event).

Just now, MadRussian said:

1.   does it have to be on Saturday?

2.  would love to participate but I don't need to demo anything.

if New Hampshire with easy access to 93 I would say Cannon

No? But I thought Saturday would be the most popular option. I hate to admit this in public, but I'm usually not the quickest on my feet on Sundays in the winter.

4 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Save the Date:

1st Annual Demo Day - December 9, 2017 at Bretton Woods

Details to follow.

1.   does it have to be on Saturday?

2.  would love to participate but I don't need to demo anything.

if New Hampshire with easy access to 93 I would say Cannon

1 minute ago, Weatherman said:

No? But I thought Saturday would be the most popular option. I hate to admit this in public, but I'm usually not the quickest on my feet on Sundays in the winter.

I'm trying to stay away from popular option lol

btw if  talking about demo day I can bring whole bunch of MadRussian skis to make day of  real fun

Cannon also would have a 50% off deal this day as well (USMC Toy Drive) if plans with BW fall through.

Cannon should have a decent amt of early season terrain open I would think at least based on how they deployed the new snowmaking last season.

Could set up at base of Zoomer possibly for fast laps (unsure how difficult it would be to get approval from Cannon though)

I think a Saturday or Sunday would make the most sense.

I believe that date falls within the range of Bretton Woods early season ticket deal yes? As much as Cannon would offer better testing terrain that time of year with better steeps and the potential for moguls, it's hard to beat $20 at BW and it's only about 25 minutes further off 93.

I also would think it would be great to have Mad Russian skis available, however I would run it by Sport Thoma first. It's a very generous offer of them to host that probably carries a significant amount of expense for them. You don't want to step on any toes.

On 5/20/2017 at 0:42 PM, Weatherman said:

Ive purchased a bunch of stuff from them in the past. the owner I think is Jeff, he used to work at Proctor Jones in Nashua when it was on Exit 1 / spitbrook road

On 5/23/2017 at 8:17 AM, deadheadskier said:

I think a Saturday or Sunday would make the most sense.

I also would think it would be great to have Mad Russian skis available, however I would run it by Sport Thoma first. It's a very generous offer of them to host that probably carries a significant amount of expense for them. You don't want to step on any toes.

how about following weekend at Cannon for Mad Russian skis demo day?