Sign in to follow this  
fcksummer

Beginners Guide to Buying a Mountain Bike

Looking to get into Mountain Biking. Not sure I'll actually go through with it at the moment due to the Coronavirus. Probably not the best time to be spending the spare cash I have put away. 

With that being said its a realistic budget for a first bike? Not looking to get something top end to start with but at the same time don't want to get something I'll be tossing aside for an upgrade after a single season.

1 hour ago, fcksummer said:

Looking to get into Mountain Biking. Not sure I'll actually go through with it at the moment due to the Coronavirus. Probably not the best time to be spending the spare cash I have put away. 

With that being said its a realistic budget for a first bike? Not looking to get something top end to start with but at the same time don't want to get something I'll be tossing aside for an upgrade after a single season.

I would say something in the 1500-3000 range would be good and I would highly recommend looking for a used one.  Pinkbike is a great place to find awesome quality used bikes for low money.  Ebay is also another place to look.  JensonUSA, Competive Cyclist and EVO are good for new but will be more money.  I know Pivot sells demo bikes online too.

3 minutes ago, Puck it said:

I would say something in the 1500-3000 range would be good and I would highly recommend looking for a used one.  Pinkbike is a great place to find awesome quality used bikes for low money.  Ebay is also another place to look.  JensonUSA, Competive Cyclist and EVO are good for new but will be more money.  I know Pivot sells demo bikes online too.

^What he said^.  In the past 2 years I've bought 2 really sweet used bikes through PinkBike.  Wife's was $2,100 mine was $2,900.  Mine was in almost new condition and would have been ~$7k new.  Both bikes have been perfect. No issues with them been used.

The downside from buying that way is that you have to have a pretty good understanding of what you want. Everything from size to geometry etc. That's tricky when you're new to the sport.  Many shops have a demo fleet so you can try bikes for a day as a reasonable rate.  They'll usually apply demo/rental costs towards a purchase.  It's best to do this at a shop that has trails right there.  The shop at Kingdom Trails is a great example.  I demoed a bike through them a few years ago. It was a $5k bike that I thought I wanted.  Spending a day on it convinced me otherwise and saved me from a big mistake.  Also, NEMBA usually organizes a few demo days around New England.  Shops show up at the trailhead with a fleet of bikes to try.

You're welcome to take our bikes out any time. 

Just as an example.  I spent 2 minutes to do a filtered search on PinkBike.  Within ~20miles from you there are 24 nice used bikes for sale between $1500 - $3000.   A couple of these are potentially perfect. 

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?lat=42.2243&lng=-71.0866&distance=20&category=2,75&price=1500..3000&framesize=16,19,24,25,26,28,29,23,27,34,35,36,30,31,47

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cannonballer said:

Just as an example.  I spent 2 minutes to do a filtered search on PinkBike.  Within ~20miles from you there are 24 nice used bikes for sale between $1500 - $3000.   A couple of these are potentially perfect. 

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?lat=42.2243&lng=-71.0866&distance=20&category=2,75&price=1500..3000&framesize=16,19,24,25,26,28,29,23,27,34,35,36,30,31,47

Thanks. I think the idea of doing a demo day first is probably the best bet to check sizing and overall personal comfort. I don't suppose demo days count as essential services at the moment. 

Might take you up on taking out one of your bikes as well. We're similar in height so that's probably a good starting point.

22 minutes ago, fcksummer said:

Might take you up on taking out one of your bikes as well. We're similar in height so that's probably a good starting point.

Yup.

- My bike is a 29er in a size L.  Geometry wise it's towards the XC side of the spectrum. Climbs like a goat! But it can still handle the descent well.

- Her bike is a 27.5 wheel in a size M.  Geometry is more slack. Frigging bombs on the downhill!  More of a challenge to climb with.

Between the two you'd get a good feel for the range of rides that are out there.

• Like 1