Jump to content

Vail - Furloughs, Paycuts, Capital Projects on Hold and more


Recommended Posts

It might come back in the fall??   This isn't a flu virus, it is a Corona Virus family and given how it has spread across the globe, there is no indication it will be seasonally affected.  It could just flare back up once we come out of the extreme social distancing, no need to wait til the fall.  To assume this will behave like the Spanish Flu is to invite disaster in my opinion.

Stephen Kirscher did another Storm Skiing Podcast last night on the effects of the virus and Boyne, including going into details how they worked through the shutdown.  Originally they had planned a more orderly week long shutdown in the East, ending the season March 22.  But overnight Saturday into Sunday, so much changed and accelerated they pivoted to shutting the end of the day March 15.  Nuts.  One of his biggest concerns with their planned installs this summer is do you risk taking out fully functioning lifts you intend to replace and then the virus heats up again halting construction?  Both BS's Swift Current and Loon's Kanc lifts are extremely important lifts (Swifty more so), so I see their dilema there.  Crazy times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Machski said:

It might come back in the fall??   This isn't a flu virus, it is a Corona Virus family and given how it has spread across the globe, there is no indication it will be seasonally affected.  It could just flare back up once we come out of the extreme social distancing, no need to wait til the fall.  To assume this will behave like the Spanish Flu is to invite disaster in my opinion.

Stephen Kirscher did another Storm Skiing Podcast last night on the effects of the virus and Boyne, including going into details how they worked through the shutdown.  Originally they had planned a more orderly week long shutdown in the East, ending the season March 22.  But overnight Saturday into Sunday, so much changed and accelerated they pivoted to shutting the end of the day March 15.  Nuts.  One of his biggest concerns with their planned installs this summer is do you risk taking out fully functioning lifts you intend to replace and then the virus heats up again halting construction?  Both BS's Swift Current and Loon's Kanc lifts are extremely important lifts (Swifty more so), so I see their dilema there.  Crazy times.

https://ccdd.hsph.harvard.edu/will-covid-19-go-away-on-its-own-in-warmer-weather/

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, fcksummer said:

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/vail-resorts-announces-paycuts-furloughs-for-employees-pause-in-payouts-for-shareholders/

 

Keeps getting worse and really no end in site. At this rate we'll be lucky to have a season next year. 😟

 

@Weathermanhope your doing alright

I'm hanging in. To say that life is turned upside down would be understating dramatically. I stepped off my flight in Colorado a few weeks ago just as everything was going to shit. In the airport I was collecting my luggage on Saturday evening when I read the new that Vail was shutting down operations, including its HQ where I was supposed to start on Monday. I was lost. Sunday evening at 10pm I received news that I would not be starting that week as planned, but to sight tight and they would pay me in the interim. Wednesday of the next week they finally onboarded me remotely. The next morning I grabbed a laptop from the office, and that day flew back to New England where I have been working remotely for the last week.

Yesterday I received the email to employees that you have all heard about. I've been in meetings all morning with senior leadership at Vail. I've gone through a rollercoaster of emotions.

At first I was upset and thought that if they led with this reduced salary, I never would haven taken the job. That much is true. But I'm not convinced that the grass would be much greener where I came from. The whole world is in the shit now.

I've been very impressed with the workplace culture at Vail Resorts. You can learn a lot about the fabric of an organization by how it responds to periods of stress. I've seen more honest, heartfelt communication from Vail than any of my previous employers. The employees here are more personal, and seem to deeply care about each other. They are a great group of people that I am happy to work with. At the leadership level, I have seen senior management shed tears today over the difficulty of these decisions and impacts to employees and their families.

When I look at how the cuts are being made, they look well thought out. Seasonal employees were let go with only a few weeks remaining in the season and were paid for at least a week of that. The hourly employees year round employees had been paid until this point, and are at least getting full health care benefits fully paid by the company for the duration of the furlough. The salary reductions are progressive to impact the most senior level the most.

I'm trying to keep a positive outlook. I don't know how will come next. If the summer season is cancelled, it is likely there will need to be further cuts made. But all of us are in it together.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Weatherman said:

I'm hanging in. To say that life is turned upside down would be understating dramatically. I stepped off my flight in Colorado a few weeks ago just as everything was going to shit. In the airport I was collecting my luggage on Saturday evening when I read the new that Vail was shutting down operations, including its HQ where I was supposed to start on Monday. I was lost. Sunday evening at 10pm I received news that I would not be starting that week as planned, but to sight tight and they would pay me in the interim. Wednesday of the next week they finally onboarded me remotely. The next morning I grabbed a laptop from the office, and that day flew back to New England where I have been working remotely for the last week.

Yesterday I received the email to employees that you have all heard about. I've been in meetings all morning with senior leadership at Vail. I've gone through a rollercoaster of emotions.

At first I was upset and thought that if they led with this reduced salary, I never would haven taken the job. That much is true. But I'm not convinced that the grass would be much greener where I came from. The whole world is in the shit now.

I've been very impressed with the workplace culture at Vail Resorts. You can learn a lot about the fabric of an organization by how it responds to periods of stress. I've seen more honest, heartfelt communication from Vail than any of my previous employers. The employees here are more personal, and seem to deeply care about each other. They are a great group of people that I am happy to work with. At the leadership level, I have seen senior management shed tears today over the difficulty of these decisions and impacts to employees and their families.

When I look at how the cuts are being made, they look well thought out. Seasonal employees were let go with only a few weeks remaining in the season and were paid for at least a week of that. The hourly employees year round employees had been paid until this point, and are at least getting full health care benefits fully paid by the company for the duration of the furlough. The salary reductions are progressive to impact the most senior level the most.

I'm trying to keep a positive outlook. I don't know how will come next. If the summer season is cancelled, it is likely there will need to be further cuts made. But all of us are in it together.

Good to hear some insider feedback about what's going on inside there and even better to hear you're still doing good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I felt the same way from Vail. There recruiters are the nicest I have delt with so far. It is probably the only major company I have seen direct you to skip redundant parts of the application.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Is Vail still hiring at its corporate headquarters? I saw they posted some jobs there today. I know its possible to automate that process, so maybe they are really from March. One I know I applied to in February.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2020 at 2:14 PM, Benski said:

Is Vail still hiring at its corporate headquarters? I saw they posted some jobs there today. I know its possible to automate that process, so maybe they are really from March. One I know I applied to in February.

Only for very specific positions. Staffing is heading the other direction with thousands of furloughs across the company. The furloughs are expected to continue until the company is able to reopen and generate revenue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Is the Victoria Government making this decision or Vail? We have a long way to go before we are in the same shape as Australia

Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw in an Australian paper, the Victoria government encouraged them to open and Vail pulled the plug, but they could not rent equipment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2020 at 4:41 PM, Machski said:

So basically backing up what I said, we just won't know how this behaves until we actually know.

I guess we've got our answer on how it responds to warmer weather... 😷

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MEtoVTskier said:

I guess we've got our answer on how it responds to warmer weather... 😷

Yeah, everyone goes inside air conditioned bars/clubs and spreads it rapidly.  Don't think the heat itself does anything much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Machski said:

Yeah, everyone goes inside air conditioned bars/clubs and spreads it rapidly.  Don't think the heat itself does anything much.

Nate Silver showed the best predictor for Coronavirus surges is the google searches mentioning AC's, so I am pretty confident its the AC's. New York is making many business upgrade there filters so hopefully that will help.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.