In light of COVID, what's your pass purchasing look like?

I decided to make this separate from the the 20-21 Season Pass pricing thread since it's nice to have that thread clean for comparing options.

Has the current crisis impacted your plans for purchasing a pass for next season?  It has for me in a several ways. 

1) I would have already bought next year's passes.  I was planning on buying a Cannon pass and either Ikon, Epic, or one of the Loon passes. I would have already pulled the trigger on both since the early-buy incentives would typically be expiring right around now.  Instead I haven't bought anything yet.  I will almost definitely still buy the Cannon pass. But since the early-buy incentives have been pushed out to June 30 I will be waiting until then.  This allows another 3 months to evaluate just how bad things get and how long they might continue.  It's not inconceivable that I don't buy a pass at all. I consider this every year anyway as way to force myself into more backcountry. This whole situation might be the perfect opportunity. 

2) I will probably skip the Ikon, Epic , Loon pass.  I've already lost ~$3k in work just in the past few weeks due to the shutdowns. I expect to lose a lot more. My wife is the breadwinner in our family and she's likely to end up with ~50% pay reduction compared to last year (if she's lucky enough to keep her job).  So even in a best-case scenario we will be reducing spending.  The Ikon and Epic passes really only pay off for us if we do a trip out west. So in addition to the pass price we'd be looking at added lodging, flights, etc. 

3) Uncertainty.  I've heard people talking about the potential that there won't be a 20-21 ski season.   I don't believe that.  But I wouldn't be surprised if there were some negative impacts.  Who knows, maybe delayed openings if staff can't do neccessary summer preparations. Or potential short-term closures of a week or 2 here and there if there are concerns about flare ups. Or travel restrictions.  Or just generally bad juju in the recreation and travel sectors and in the economy overall.  Bottom line is that there's a lot of uncertainty about the next 6-12 months that is making me hedge my bets on expenditures and plans. 

Right now my best dream for next season is kick-ass New England snowfall and epic days locally.  

I buy the Cannon pass every year. Like you, would have bought it already but holding off due to the extended early season rate. No need to buy before the June 30 date. I've been trying to limit spending in general and will continue to do so while this thing plays out. I've been fortunate that both my GF and I have kept our jobs at our full salaries but that could change any minute so I'm trying my best to save up.

I already bought the New England Platinum for the wife and I during the normal 5 day flash sale window before the whole ski season went to hell.  Turns out I could have waited, but regardless, its on the payment plan and I plan to be up there regardless assuming we have a season.  There is an outside chance my job goes away and if that happens and the season is a go, figure I will work and live at our condo at SR next winter in one capacity or another,  Perhaps I get a refund on my pass purchase if I become an employee for the season.  Wife's job is good, she's a teacher so that will happen in the fall one way or another.

The number of stories of absolute customer service fails regarding opening next year and the people who didn't use their passes a single day this year are really upsetting.

Jay Peak is doing it right.

• Like 1
On 4/14/2020 at 9:03 AM, Cannonballer said:

Somebody posted this on Ikon's FB page. It got taken down pretty quickly. It sums it up pretty accurately for me.

3da940865a26f9c88a10da1d25fc7454.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Well, now you can push you 20-21 purchase cost to a 21-22 pass by December 10th if you haven't yet used your 20-21 pass for no charge.  Seems like a reasonable policy to me.

• 1 month later...

Back in March my thinking was: "No way I'm buying next years pass now because who  knows what will happen"

By April Cannon (and most others) had pushed off their early-purchase incentives until June-ish. At that point my thinking was: "Well that's good, maybe I'll buy in June. We'll see how things develop."

At the beginning of June my thinking was: "No way I'm committing to season pass at this point. I'd rather wait until to November to see what shakes out.  If things look good I'll buy it then even though I  will have lost the early-purchase incentives.  But most likely I'm not getting a pass for next season."

Then Cannon (and lots of others) came out with their assurance plan for next season, which says: "100% Credit Option. Prior to our projected opening day, if you request a credit on your pass purchase, regardless of the reason, we will issue a credit for any reason, for the full amount you paid, to be used towards a 2021 - 2022 season pass."   They must have been hearing people thinking the same way I have, because that assurance offer is a complete game changer.  I can buy now and get all the early-purchase benefits BUT still have the option to bail come November.  That probably seals the deal for me and changes my mind from buying zero passes to buying 4 passes (me, wife, and 2 nephews).  

I can't imagine how hard it is for the all of the mountains right now.  They don't know what's going to happen any more than the rest of us do.  Yet, they still have to find a way to market their product.  I give a lot of credit for the creativity and flexibility that businesses are showing.  

On 6/15/2020 at 10:24 PM, StraightSkis said:

@Cannonballer I think you convinced me to buy my Wildcat (Epic Northeast) now rather than wait. 

Saw this posted about opening of an Australian Epic resort: https://www.epicaustraliapass.com.au/passes/we-are-epic-together

Not sure how much of this will happen here this winter. 

Not sure this will apply to ski season, but Vail has decided to not open Sunapee's summer activities this summer.  I don't take that as a positive sign (although Vail could have decided Sunapee doesn't do enough summer business and this could be permanent?)

• 2 weeks later...

I wish i wasn't so impulsive but bought my Epic NE pass two days after it was released. Turned out to be a week or so before the world fell apart. I wou l d have waited until November to see what happened. Or I would have gotten a Ragged pass with Icon once we knew what the season was going to look like. Oh well, at leased I'm getting credits for pass protection and 20 off from last season.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Superpass again for me this season, from Cannon with the Pass Assurance !

Hopefully we dont need the stinkin Assurance !!!!

• Like 1

I may pick up that 3 day deal for Saddleback, possibly a Throwback Card from Magic and another inexpensive deal or two that would help the little guys vs. the major resorts. Other than that, NO major big money purchases until we get a better idea on how this is all going to shake out. Not even for the local bump. Heck I can ski there a couple days a week, cheaper on their weekly deals, than I can with a season pass anyhow.

Something tells me that there is going to be a lot of deals that are going to be almost too good to pass up, as Mountains try to drum up more business, since it's pretty obvious that they will be hobbled by a bunch of new rules pertaining to the virus.

Edited by MEtoVTskier

I have not been on here is a while - you must be bored to come up with this one - we have had no discussion of this topic. definitely fake news. Season Pass sales are doing well at both mountains....

Mike

From Killingtonzone... (There had been a rumor of Pico not opening?)

Edited by MEtoVTskier
15 minutes ago, MEtoVTskier said:

From Killingtonzone... (There had been a rumor of Pico not opening?)

Yeah, I don't think from an actual source, just K zone speculation.  Kind of makes sense, not open 7 days a week as is, so if they are budget right, would be an obvious place to save on.  But Mike has stated no plans for such as of now anyway.  Might be needed as a reliever for social distancing needs anyway.

22 hours ago, Machski said:

Yeah, I don't think from an actual source, just K zone speculation.  Kind of makes sense, not open 7 days a week as is, so if they are budget right, would be an obvious place to save on.  But Mike has stated no plans for such as of now anyway.  Might be needed as a reliever for social distancing needs anyway.

My kayak rental business, got forced to go that route and now we sell out be 10am every weekend morning. There is certainly no shortage in demand for outdoor recreation.

• 1 month later...

Well looks like Vail is giving the option for a refund post release of their reservation plans. I will be requesting one for us. We are going with the Indy pass once I confirm and stay to the smaller places this season. All in for 4 will be less than one NE Pass for epic. The clincher was Cannon being added to the Indy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm looking at Epic Northeast + Indy Passes for us.

Having 4 mtns in home state allows for some flexibility with 2 of them easy day trip...CM being available for night turns midweek makes this hard to turn down.

If the White Mtn Super Pass had Gunstock on the adult pass (as they do with college) I'd be very tempted to do that instead.

I need a quick hit/day trip/night option on a pass

Was thinking of adding an Indy with Cannon an easy day trip from home and Pats an even easier afternoon/night run.  Abram was the clincher for me as we own at Sunday River, but they just pulled out.  SO the closest to the condo on it is now Black NH.  Might just save those short $ for day tixs to Abram/Black ME/Saddleback for condo diversion days.