In light of COVID, what's your pass purchasing look like?

• 4 weeks later...

I had been buying the Ikon / Max for the past several years. Punted on both of those for this year, as I won't be travelling enough to get my money out of it.

I almost didn't pull the trigger on the Ikon for 2019/2020, and it turns out, I shouldn't have. I used three days before the season ground to a halt.

For this upcoming season I purchased the Maine Four day pass offered by Boyne which is good for 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 (four days total).

I think I'm going to snag a K express card... For $90, it's not breaking the bank, and gives me a decent discount option at a mountain I enjoy.

I think that may be it, and I'll hunt for day ticket deals elsewhere beyond that, but I'm not confident that there will be many to find this winter.

3 hours ago, WJenness said:

I had been buying the Ikon / Max for the past several years. Punted on both of those for this year, as I won't be travelling enough to get my money out of it.

I almost didn't pull the trigger on the Ikon for 2019/2020, and it turns out, I shouldn't have. I used three days before the season ground to a halt.

For this upcoming season I purchased the Maine Four day pass offered by Boyne which is good for 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 (four days total).

I think I'm going to snag a K express card... For $90, it's not breaking the bank, and gives me a decent discount option at a mountain I enjoy.

I think that may be it, and I'll hunt for day ticket deals elsewhere beyond that, but I'm not confident that there will be many to find this winter.

Be careful with Kton.  You need reservations for parking and they are tracking where you are coming from with the RFID tix.  I think I will wait and see how things go at the beginning of the year.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Puck it said:

Be careful with Kton.  You need reservations for parking and they are tracking where you are coming from with the RFID tix.  I think I will wait and see how things go at the beginning of the year.

So Ikon will black you out if you use it in one of the counties Vermont says you should quarantine after visiting?

19 hours ago, Puck it said:

This is good info.

I will be watching things closely as the season unfolds.

If I ended up wasting $90, that'd be a low water mark for me over the past few years of pass purchases, so I'm not too worried about it.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, WJenness said:

This is good info.

I will be watching things closely as the season unfolds.

If I ended up wasting $90, that'd be a low water mark for me over the past few years of pass purchases, so I'm not too worried about it.

The reason that I know this is my brother in law went mtb'ing and they were checking counties of riders.

On 10/16/2020 at 8:39 AM, Puck it said:

The reason that I know this is my brother in law went mtb'ing and they were checking counties of riders.

Could you just say you have been in Vermont for 2 weeks? Are they making any attempts to verify?

On 10/16/2020 at 8:39 AM, Puck it said:

Interesting, because over at K-Zone, they are saying Mike S has said Killington will not be monitoring guests state quarantine requirements this winter for ski visits.  Lodging will require you attest to it, but they won't be searching out skiers/riders and they have told the state as much.  Maybe they did this summer given the smaller amount of traffic for MTB?  I have to imagine ski crowds would be much more difficult given the higher #'s.

29 minutes ago, Machski said:

Interesting, because over at K-Zone, they are saying Mike S has said Killington will not be monitoring guests state quarantine requirements this winter for ski visits.  Lodging will require you attest to it, but they won't be searching out skiers/riders and they have told the state as much.  Maybe they did this summer given the smaller amount of traffic for MTB?  I have to imagine ski crowds would be much more difficult given the higher #'s.

IT may have changed.

On 10/14/2020 at 10:38 AM, WJenness said:

So, update to this:

I decided to pick up an Indy Pass as well.

They have a pretty generous credit plan if I don't use it much:

image.png.c3ad85b128154868a6ed4d01902fc059.png

Additionally, there was a $20 insurance option where you can get a full refund if you don't use it at all, so I bit on that as well.

I figure with this even if I have to write off VT day trips entirely, I still have some good MA / NH options, and if it doesn't work out for me, I can just punt on it for a net loss of $20... which I'm not too concerned about.

1 hour ago, Machski said:

Trying to ask so many people a question as they enter might create the kind of crowds the state is trying to avoid. I still think if Vermont wanted to have any teeth to the requirement they would require Ikon, Epic, and Indy Blackout for 2 weeks after being used out of state.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2020 at 11:21 AM, WJenness said:

So, update to this:

I decided to pick up an Indy Pass as well.

They have a pretty generous credit plan if I don't use it much:

image.png.c3ad85b128154868a6ed4d01902fc059.png

Additionally, there was a $20 insurance option where you can get a full refund if you don't use it at all, so I bit on that as well.

I figure with this even if I have to write off VT day trips entirely, I still have some good MA / NH options, and if it doesn't work out for me, I can just punt on it for a net loss of $20... which I'm not too concerned about.

Given how cheap flights are I am really tempted to head out to Idaho with my wife and hit Tamarack and Brundage for 4 days. Be a fun little getaway but definitely waiting to see what happen with the Vid.

• 4 weeks later...

Loon seems to have pulled it together today. I called them this afternoon to see what was up. At that point they said they had no clue when they could sell tickets or even when they could open this season. My nephews who work there had no clue when their start date would be. Later this evening I got a message that the site was back up. We were able to buy a couple of mid week season passes. I'm still not convinced that it's worth it, but this whole season seems to be an exercise in taking chances and funding Tmthe industry. I doubt my Cannon and Loon passes will pay off this year but I at least hope to ride!

I think the pay off on passes is practical instead of financial... you are always guaranteed to be able to go skiing when you want to without restriction (excepting resorts that have restrictions for pass holders, but most areas seem to be selling passes by stating it is a guarantee on not being turned away).

I can request a full refund on my Jay pass through early March (if I don't use it). But the practical and financial "worth it" date is going to be much earlier than that. If VT does not relax travel restrictions by the end of January, I can't see it being worth while. Until then, I'll use the Indy pass (for what it is worth, given VT restrictions).