It's pretty much a given that everyone wants to be skiing/snowboarding soon.  But the Covid spikes are up and things are on shaky ground.  Backcountry gear and bike sales are through the roof.  So what's everyone's 2nd choice when it comes to winter activities?

I already XC ski a lot in a normal winter.  I expect my XC days are going to go up significantly.  A lot of my typical XC is a quick hits after work or after a ski day, I rarely do all-day tours.  I think that will increase too as XC replaces somes full lift-served days.

Fat biking is my 3rd choice.  I love to ride but it's harder to find good conditions compared to XC-skiing.  Still, I expect to get on the bike more than usual. 

Just got XC skis as back up plan.  I already have an uphill set up just in case.  If no snow than the bike is ready.  

Things are looking like it may tank the season, even though there is been no known transfer from riding a lift or skiing.

Edited by Puck it
23 hours ago, Puck it said:

Just got XC skis as back up plan.  I already have an uphill set up just in case.  If no snow than the bike is ready.  

Things are looking like it may tank the season, even though there is been no known transfer from riding a lift or skiing.

I will probably mountain bike in Westchester when mountain are closed. My prediction is they stay open till the first powder day. The lines when the lift opens on a powder day pisses off health officials, so mountains have to close until the board of health is satisfied that wont happen again.

Has there been a run on the sale of Nordic ski equipment?  I wouldn't be surprised.  I plan to go to UT for three months and do a lot of lift served skiing, but if there is a shutdown that prevents that I might stay in VA.  In VA I could play golf all but about 30 days in winter.  Same for bike riding.  I'd likely have to drive a couple hours to do Nordic or snowshoeing.  We do get a one foot snowstorm about once every other winter in my local neighborhood, but my snowshoes are in UT and my Nordic gear is getting really old.

Hope its not canceled !!!

You know if it does get canceled well be guaranteed and epic snow fall winter

all through the state !

Back up plan is Snow shoeing and Just ordered XC gear !

Winter hiking.  The $$ investment to set the kids up with backcountry when they still outgrow their stuff every season is just too high.  We hike all spring/summer/fall, so the only new investment for winter is snowshoes and maybe crampons if the micro-spikes don't seem to be cutting it.  We've done some hiking/skiing on Cannon and Tucks, but I don't see us doing much more than that for a few more years.