45 minutes ago, snoseek said:

I'm in.

Are we seriously talking december 5th opening? Maybe a midweek soft opening?

I don't see a lot of whales on Tramway or Upper Cannon.  Clouds were making it tough to see them.  Missing link does doesn't look like thick coverage.  Upper gremlin was the lowest run with man made.  We came back from Woodstock brewery and no guns on front five. I will drive up tomorrow and look at the base area. 

Bummer:

OPENING DAY
Our snowmaking crew has been making progress at every chance they get, but Mother Nature has not been very cooperative. Looking at the forecast, our next chance to crank the guns at consistent cold temps isn't until next weekend, so opening the weekend of December 4th is sadly not a possibilty. We'll look towards the following week but Opening Day will remain a moving target as we watch the weather. We're all eager to get out on the hill, but the plan is still to open with enough terrain and lift service to have space to spread out and we'll open as soon as we can safely do so. Check the Mountain Report often for updates.
18 minutes ago, Los said:

Bummer:

OPENING DAY
Our snowmaking crew has been making progress at every chance they get, but Mother Nature has not been very cooperative. Looking at the forecast, our next chance to crank the guns at consistent cold temps isn't until next weekend, so opening the weekend of December 4th is sadly not a possibilty. We'll look towards the following week but Opening Day will remain a moving target as we watch the weather. We're all eager to get out on the hill, but the plan is still to open with enough terrain and lift service to have space to spread out and we'll open as soon as we can safely do so. Check the Mountain Report often for updates.

Ouch!  Anyone remember what Cannon's latest opening has been in recent history?   I remember that the 2011-2012 season was horrendous and that my first day of that season was 1/1/2012.  But i don't know what their actual opening day was. 

Edited by Cannonballer
2 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

Ouch!  Anyone remember what Cannon's latest opening has been in recent history?   I remember that the 2011-2012 season was horrendous and that my first day of that season was 1/1/2012.  But i don't know what their actual opening day was. 

I am remembering 12/9 for some reason. I think it was the year they blew from top of the quad to the base and lost it all. Thanksgiving was warm and rained a ton. 

They were blowing upper cannon and tramway all day. The clouds broke late and could see the guns were on. There is nothing below the links with any man made snow. I drove by the base and it was bare. 

Any wagers on if Cannon will open this coming weekend?  Website says 12/4.  Social media by Cannon and the GM saying probably not.   Cannon likes to provide some mixed-messages with their mixed-precipitation. 

Forecast is right on the line of whether they can pull it off or not.  

I'm going with 'No'. 

19 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

Any wagers on if Cannon will open this coming weekend?  Website says 12/4.  Social media by Cannon and the GM saying probably not.   Cannon likes to provide some mixed-messages with their mixed-precipitation. 

Forecast is right on the line of whether they can pull it off or not.  

I'm going with 'No'. 

I am saying "No" also based I what I see out my front window and knowing there is no signficant snow below the "Usual Spot".

Actually I just noticed that although their winter updates page says "The new goal is Friday, December 4",  their conditions page says "opening the weekend of December 4th is sadly not a possibility. "

So I guess that answers that. Sort of. 

2 hours ago, Los said:

Per an email sent earlier today, opening day is still a “moving target.”  

I will be very disappointed if they’re not open by at least Saturday the 11th. And my kids will riot. 

The 11th is actually Friday. But yeah, I'd love to see an 11th passholders opening. Then free-for-all on the 12th!

10 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

The 11th is actually Friday. But yeah, I'd love to see an 11th passholders opening. Then free-for-all on the 12th!

That makes complete sense.  It probably gives them a soft day to work out the bugs.  Hmmmmm.  It is Cannon though, probably not.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, snoseek said:

I've gotta imagine its a bit firm today lol. I'll give them to Wednesday to recover a bit. 

I was thinking about this morning but may run over in the afternoon.

Correction: Bagged today had a meeting get scheduled for 3PM

Edited by Puck it
1 hour ago, snoseek said:

Crotched maybe tomorrow for a few laps and give Cannon another days to rebound. Plus the wind looks to crank. They sure do blow aggressive these days

I will try and get out tomorrow and give an update. It will depend on the wind. 

They are blasting the front 5 and the temps are making for quality product. I came back to cannon last year after being gone for quite a few years and damn they get serious about laying it down these days. I think I'd rather ski a heavy dusting here tomorrow vs skiing down south. 

Edited by snoseek
3 hours ago, snoseek said:

They are blasting the front 5 and the temps are making for quality product. I came back to cannon last year after being gone for quite a few years and damn they get serious about laying it down these days. I think I'd rather ski a heavy dusting here tomorrow vs skiing down south. 

The top of Gary's was pretty rough yesterday along with Gremlin by tower 13