Cannon Lovers' Thread

46 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

Yup. Reporting 11" since yesterday.  Profile and most glades still closed.  This refresher on Friday could tip the scales. 

Speaking of Profile, they had the guns on the left hand side lit up near the top. They weren't using the towers and had the old style stand guns set up on both sides from @Puck it's rock and up

1 hour ago, Cannonballer said:

Yup. Reporting 11" since yesterday.  Profile and most glades still closed.  This refresher on Friday could tip the scales. 

Lakeview opened today.  It is very bony and have to pick your way thru the rocky section as they are just barely covered.

12 minutes ago, fcksummer said:

Speaking of Profile, they had the guns on the left hand side lit up near the top. They weren't using the towers and had the old style stand guns set up on both sides from @Puck it's rock and up

There is a broken pipe and they are doing some weird stuff pumping the water to get around the break.

On 2/4/2021 at 11:16 AM, Puck it said:

Today was the worse day for visibility this year.  You could only see from the bottom third of Zoomer or in the lower part of the Ravine.

It was pretty bad last Wednesday too. Fortunately, the weekend was great. A little windy on Sunday, but we were very happy with the conditions. It was also the first time we headed into upper lost boys. Wow - what a picture perfect glade. Any idea why it’s unofficial? Same question for the glade on skiers left off ridge run, shortly after the entrance to idiots delight... 

1 hour ago, Los said:

It was pretty bad last Wednesday too. Fortunately, the weekend was great. A little windy on Sunday, but we were very happy with the conditions. It was also the first time we headed into upper lost boys. Wow - what a picture perfect glade. Any idea why it’s unofficial? Same question for the glade on skiers left off ridge run, shortly after the entrance to idiots delight... 

Thankfully, they haven't put all of the trees on the map. 😬

Cannon's glades are a bit of a step up compared to most mountain's on map glades, since they were mostly 'local cuts' and often aggressively cut for maximum challenge rather than general public enjoyment. Cannon has taken some of the rough edges off of some of the glades. But not all. The upper entrance to Lost Boys, from my recollection (only skied it twice) has a low ceiling (during high snow pack, at least) and a few tight/narrow slots. Could be a bit much for 'Joe Average Skier' looking at the map and wanting to 'see what those glades are all about'.

Mitt still has four or five trees still off map, hopefully they keep it that way so folks can actually do some exploring and enjoy the feeling of discovery. Some of the remaining off map Mitt woods could probably use some maintenance if they were to go onto the map (goodness knows no one is maintaining them any more). When trees get added to the map, traffic increases by many multiples. Some shots just don't hold enough snow to keep the nasties buried. For example, it boggles my mind that they put the Creek onto the map given it ends in a frozen waterfall that can be challenging to navigate even during times of decent snow pack.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, thesnowway said:

Thankfully, they haven't put all of the trees on the map. 😬

Cannon's glades are a bit of a step up compared to most mountain's on map glades, since they were mostly 'local cuts' and often aggressively cut for maximum challenge rather than general public enjoyment. Cannon has taken some of the rough edges off of some of the glades. But not all. The upper entrance to Lost Boys, from my recollection (only skied it twice) has a low ceiling (during high snow pack, at least) and a few tight/narrow slots. Could be a bit much for 'Joe Average Skier' looking at the map and wanting to 'see what those glades are all about'.

Mitt still has four or five trees still off map, hopefully they keep it that way so folks can actually do some exploring and enjoy the feeling of discovery. Some of the remaining off map Mitt woods could probably use some maintenance if they were to go onto the map (goodness knows no one is maintaining them any more). When trees get added to the map, traffic increases by many multiples. Some shots just don't hold enough snow to keep the nasties buried. For example, it boggles my mind that they put the Creek onto the map given it ends in a frozen waterfall that can be challenging to navigate even during times of decent snow pack.

We hate the names and refuse to use them by the way. 

4 hours ago, thesnowway said:

😄 can confirm this is challenging. do not recommend early season.

• Like 2

So my 10 & 12-year-old kids have surpassed my skiing abilities...probably a couple years ago.  They are dying to get into some of the glades over on Mittersill, and while I could probably possibly survive them, I would not enjoy it.  If anyone is skiing this week and wouldn't mind following a couple of kids in the woods for an hour or 2, message me! I'll happily buy you some of your favor beer (that can be found at the Franconia Market, which I will never refer to as anything but Mac's). 

We'll likely be at Cannon Wednesday on...Tuesday we plan to ski Bretton Woods, where I can actually hang in the glades with them 🤣

2 hours ago, SkiMom said:

So my 10 & 12-year-old kids have surpassed my skiing abilities...probably a couple years ago.  They are dying to get into some of the glades over on Mittersill, and while I could probably possibly survive them, I would not enjoy it.  If anyone is skiing this week and wouldn't mind following a couple of kids in the woods for an hour or 2, message me! I'll happily buy you some of your favor beer (that can be found at the Franconia Market, which I will never refer to as anything but Mac's). 

We'll likely be at Cannon Wednesday on...Tuesday we plan to ski Bretton Woods, where I can actually hang in the glades with them 🤣

I will not around on Wednesday or Thursday.  They could tag along with us on the weekend. The on map stuff is pretty bony. I was in idiots and candy land today. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SkiMom said:

@Puck it and @snoseek, thanks for the offers.  Unfortunately, mother nature was not kind with the warm up and wet stuff yesterday.  I'm sure the glades are going to be dicey until we get more snow, so we'll stick to the groomed trails for the next couple days.

That is very true. It was rain at the house even last night, but notch had snow as we drove thru. 

We were on the mountain this morning...things were firm.  We took a few runs and headed home.  I expect the mountain will ski better tomorrow after another pass with the groomers, but I don't see the woods being fun for a while.

36 minutes ago, SkiMom said:

We were on the mountain this morning...things were firm.  We took a few runs and headed home.  I expect the mountain will ski better tomorrow after another pass with the groomers, but I don't see the woods being fun for a while.

Image result for mcnulty kick gif

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SkiMom said:

Thanks for that report.  I logged on to say "things must have been rough out there today".  I appreciate the first hand confirmation.

• Like 1

Is it me or has Cannon been shafted this year compared with the rest of northern New England (broadly speaking)?

I’ve tried to avoid paying any attention to weather conditions anywhere other than Franconia to spare myself further pain and disappointment with not being able to ski in Vermont this year (hence our last minute Cannon passes), but my peripheral understanding is that conditions in Vermont and elsewhere are the best they’ve been in years... 

29 minutes ago, Los said:

Is it me or has Cannon been shafted this year compared with the rest of northern New England (broadly speaking)?

I’ve tried to avoid paying any attention to weather conditions anywhere other than Franconia to spare myself further pain and disappointment with not being able to ski in Vermont this year (hence our last minute Cannon passes), but my peripheral understanding is that conditions in Vermont and elsewhere are the best they’ve been in years... 

I cannot speak to Vermont since I cannot meet their travel requirements, but the other areas I ski besides Cannon this year haven't been all that much better.  Loon, well they haven't had their best woods open yet and won't now for some time.  Haven't even been impressed with their groomed runs this year, they kept snowmaking at a minimum it seems.  Sunday River has done much better in the snowmaking and grooming department, and the natural was building.  Seemed the Aurora west naturals and woods were finally getting to an almost beyond boney state prior to this sleet storm.  East of Aurora, stuff was thin and even when SR claimed 100% open, that was BS as the upper gates to Chutzpah and Hard Ball never opened (their lower entraces opened, but the upper halves are the toughest woods on map at SR).  They are still claiming everything still open, but I have heard the woods and nats are "challenging" to say the least.  Regardless, Sunday River is far from the best in years.  Hell, even last year was better than this year to date at SR (Upper HB and Chutzpah were iin play and not bad).

33 minutes ago, Los said:

Just north of here, it was all snow for the NE Kingdom. Northern Greens have been getting the lake effect.  Southern storms hitting the area below.  I would say so.  We just drove by on way back up and there were very people on the front five trials.

2 hours ago, Puck it said:

Just north of here, it was all snow for the NE Kingdom. Northern Greens have been getting the lake effect.  Southern storms hitting the area below.  I would say so.  We just drove by on way back up and there were very people on the front five trials.

Burke !!

It isn't just Cannon. Southern areas have done better than average it seems. Northern areas, not as well as average. Mansfield stake has only been above average for a single day all season, and that was before the resort opened. In January, the stake was more than 2' below average (for that day).

I was actually impressed with Cannon having everything open except Tramline and Kinsman given how shafted we got during late December and the of any major 1-2' dumps. 101” season to date out of a 170" average and entering late February is a bit below pace. I imagine they are including the pre-opening 2' that got washed out in that number...

Not awful, goodness knows how many times we've had a January thaw followed by a President's week melt down. But certainly below average and I think other northern areas have faired similarly from what I have seen (arm chair style, hard to tell given that I haven't skied like normal this season). But things are better than they have right to be, since we thankfully have yet to get a thaw during 2021.

• Like 1