Cannon Lovers' Thread

3 hours ago, Puck it said:

Just north of here, it was all snow for the NE Kingdom. Northern Greens have been getting the lake effect.  Southern storms hitting the area below.  I would say so.  We just drove by on way back up and there were very people on the front five trials.

Not what I have heard on other forums, heard Jay is locked up now too.

Skied 8:30-12 today (2/18).  The snow was surprisingly good!  We skied just about every groomed trail.  Vista was groomed (and GREAT).  Everything off the Cannonball was REALLY good, and everything else was very decent considering what mother nature's been up to this week.  It was some of the best Cannon grooming I've every skied, to be honest!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Puck it said:

Just north of here, it was all snow for the NE Kingdom. Northern Greens have been getting the lake effect.  Southern storms hitting the area below.  I would say so.  We just drove by on way back up and there were very people on the front five trials.

We have great coverage but got freezing rain at Sugarbush.

23 hours ago, thesnowway said:

I was actually impressed with Cannon having everything open except Tramline and Kinsman given how shafted we got during late December and the of any major 1-2' dumps. 101” season to date out of a 170" average and entering late February is a bit below pace. I imagine they are including the pre-opening 2' that got washed out in that number...

Not awful, goodness knows how many times we've had a January thaw followed by a President's week melt down. But certainly below average and I think other northern areas have faired similarly from what I have seen (arm chair style, hard to tell given that I haven't skied like normal this season). But things are better than they have right to be, since we thankfully have yet to get a thaw during 2021.

Yep, agreed - the fact that Cannon was basically 100% open for a couple weeks definitely exceeded the low expectations I had going into the season. And not having a significant meltdown since December is a nice surprise.

But still, it's been frustrating to see what seems to be everywhere but Cannon getting large and consistent amounts of snow... Like even Bretton Woods which is still 100% open as of today...  

8 minutes ago, Los said:

But still, it's been frustrating to see what seems to be everywhere but Cannon getting large and consistent amounts of snow... Like even Bretton Woods which is still 100% open as of today...  

Cannon was all but 100% open on Tuesday and was skiing great. Losing the natural snow trails was not due to lack of snow but rather mixed precip locking up when the temps plummeted. BW can be 100% open because most of the resort is groomed and their natural snow trails are flat as a pancake, so they don't suffer as much as Cannon in bad conditions.

Same thing happens every year. BW can always open to 100% faster than Cannon and keep most of their trails open when conditions go south. It has more to do with topography than weather... though they do get a little more snow on annual average when compared to Cannon.

Loon would be a better analog, none of their glades are open. Burke's trees and some natural snow trails are also closed. Burke is only reporting a season total of 64"!!! I assume they did not add any pre-opening storms like Cannon almost certainly did. So probably pretty close. Cat usually does better than Cannon by a little, this season has definitely favored that side of the Whites. It has been a below average snow year for most northern areas.

• Like 1

I see kinsman is open... In terms of difficulty/hazard, is kinsman generally  in line with the other on map glades?  I’m thinking of letting my 12 and 14 year olds ski it without me, because I don’t want to. Haha They’re capable, and have skied everything on map, including the creek. We also always keep in touch with two-way radios. But i don’t know - it might be crazy to let them go on their own... so i thought I’d ask the experts to weigh in... 

thanks in advance for any thoughts you can share...!

2 hours ago, Los said:

I see kinsman is open... In terms of difficulty/hazard, is kinsman generally  in line with the other on map glades?  I’m thinking of letting my 12 and 14 year olds ski it without me, because I don’t want to. Haha They’re capable, and have skied everything on map, including the creek. We also always keep in touch with two-way radios. But i don’t know - it might be crazy to let them go on their own... so i thought I’d ask the experts to weigh in... 

thanks in advance for any thoughts you can share...!

Kinsman is a step up if coverage is thin (which is most of the time). The trees are more open than the upper mountain soft wood glades. But Kinsman is much rockier, steeper, and has lots of exposed junk (especially if it has had a lot of traffic). Conditions ultimately determine how well it skis, but there is no where to bail if you hit it on a bad day.

If they have skied every other glade at Cannon, they will be fine. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, thesnowway said:

Kinsman is a step up if coverage is thin (which is most of the time). The trees are more open than the upper mountain soft wood glades. But Kinsman is much rockier, steeper, and has lots of exposed junk (especially if it has had a lot of traffic). Conditions ultimately determine how well it skis, but there is no where to bail if you hit it on a bad day.

If they have skied every other glade at Cannon, they will be fine. 

@Los ↑↑ this ↑↑ info is right on.  Kinsman also has a lot of double fall lines that aren't in the other glades. But even that is very manageable with skill and care.

The length and lack of access is the biggest difference.  Kinsman is 2-3 times more vert than the other glades. So endurance is a factor if they are used to blasting through the other glades.  As mentioned by @thesnowwaythere are no bailouts. What that also means is that there is limited access for rescue if needed.

My biggest advice to your kids would just be to take it slow and cautious given all of the above. Especially the first time.  If they can ski the rest they will be fine, it just takes a little more self-reliance.  Which also makes a great adventure for them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cannonballer said:

@Los ↑↑ this ↑↑ info is right on.  Kinsman also has a lot of double fall lines that aren't in the other glades. But even that is very manageable with skill and care.

The length and lack of access is the biggest difference.  Kinsman is 2-3 times more vert than the other glades. So endurance is a factor if they are used to blasting through the other glades.  As mentioned by @thesnowwaythere are no bailouts. What that also means is that there is limited access for rescue if needed.

My biggest advice to your kids would just be to take it slow and cautious given all of the above. Especially the first time.  If they can ski the rest they will be fine, it just takes a little more self-reliance.  Which also makes a great adventure for them!

This is good advice. Slow is good. Might be some base repair. 

Posted (edited)

I got out today from 9-11.  My expectations were low and the actual conditions were slightly better.  The corduroy was not very deep at all.  Warm up run on Gary's were decent but could tell that it would scrape off with only a few skiers. Gray ice has poked it head thru on the top of Rocket.  Pine bough were all over the trails. I headed up high for a tour.  It was a better than down low.  Profile was roped off. Vista was groomed except for the right of the island.  Ice moguls on the right and luckily I speed checked and saw them at the last minute.  WTF.  What does ski patrol do at Cannon?  This should have been roped or at least a caution sign.  

Edited by Puck it

4 hours ago, Puck it said:

Things were much better today.  Another day and most of the golf balls will be gone.  Profile was open but needs some groomer love for the masses.

Death cookies seem to happen whenever groomers groom partially frozen snow.

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, Machski said:

So this is under consideration:

https://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=903

As a resident, I would prefer they go all new.  Sure it costs double a refurb, but lifespan expectancy is more than double, offsetting the cost somewhat.

JD hates the Tram for winter but it makes the park money in summer. Gondola would be of no use in the winter.  Wind holds galore. New is the way to go. 

The new tram option seems a little deceitful. Most ski lifts need a refurbishment after 25 year, then they run like new for abit and last another 25+. The tram is probably no different. I think either way they will need major work in 25 years. Though this tram refurbishment seams to be a very long project. I know Sugarbush did a bunch of chairlifts one summer, no problem. I think Super Bravo had a refurbishment in just the spring or something

On 7/26/2021 at 10:23 PM, Benski said:

The new tram option seems a little deceitful. Most ski lifts need a refurbishment after 25 year, then they run like new for abit and last another 25+. The tram is probably no different. I think either way they will need major work in 25 years. Though this tram refurbishment seams to be a very long project. I know Sugarbush did a bunch of chairlifts one summer, no problem. I think Super Bravo had a refurbishment in just the spring or something

Well, if you do a refurb AND increase the cab size to 100 pax, you could end up 20 years from now with issues similar to what Jay has had to deal with on their tram (IE, anchors not strong enough for the larger size trams after being told they were, etc).  Also, Trams have far fewer moving parts needing refurb at around 20 years or so.  Most likely a new tram would come with direct drive motors, loosing the need to maintain a transmission.  Sure, the carriages would need regular maintenance and likely overhauls at some point, but what else?  They don't need grip maintenance like a detach gondola would or maintenance on the cadence system in the terminals.