Random predictions for your 20/21 season?

Obviously there are lots of threads about what C-19 will do the season as a whole. Like will the season get shut down completely or not.  But barring the big stuff, what are some of the trickle-down things that you think will come true this season.  

Start of my list:

• I'll get less total ski days.  Because even if I can go, I might not want to half the time.
  • I'll get WAY less runs this season.  The whole s***show that is developing around lifts and lift-lines is going to make me want to maximize what I get out of each run.  I foresee A LOT of sidecountry tours this year where each run takes anywhere from an hour to most of the day. 
  • My cost per day will be at all time high.  I bought 2 season passes this year simply because it seems like having a pass may be the only way to ski.  Factor that into the 2 points above and it's going to be a 'relatively' expensive season. 
  • I'll drink more beer, but I'll spend less on it.  No more $9.50 + tip draughts in the lodge.  
  • I'll spend more on propane.  2 heaters and a grill for tailgating will be going even more than usual (which was already a lot)
  • Vape and bowl sales will skyrocket.  Nobody is passing to the left this year.  Everyone is on their own.
  • Vail will lose a ton of customers and good will.  Resort ownership may get shaken up by late 2021. 

• Like 1

I am erring on the optomistic side.

- I will at least get more days in than last season (mostly due to the early shutdown last year)

- Hoping to use the Ikon for a late season trip out west late April (assuming we can get vaccine by then)

- Definitely glad to have our on mountain condo at SR, makes the whole no/limited lodge thing a non-issue really for us starting this weekend when ski in/out access comes online.

No Puck it, that's not accurate information.  The resorts are shut down to outside tourists, which as best as I can understand it even includes different areas of California.

California’s Lake Tahoe is temporarily shutting down to outside tourists, the latest economic blow as a deadly surge in coronavirus cases is forcing millions in America’s most populous state back under lockdown restrictions.

18 hours ago, SkiMangoJazz said:

No Puck it, that's not accurate information.  The resorts are shut down to outside tourists, which as best as I can understand it even includes different areas of California.

California’s Lake Tahoe is temporarily shutting down to outside tourists, the latest economic blow as a deadly surge in coronavirus cases is forcing millions in America’s most populous state back under lockdown restrictions.

And I believe this is just the Cali resorts.  So I guess that is good for Mt. Rose being all in Nevada.

• Like 1
  • I will set a personal best for number of earned turn days.
  • VT will eventually shut down and NH lifts take up the slack and will become unbearable.
  • I will be taking a refund on my Jay pass as I do not expect VT to reverse restrictions until major vaccine rollout.
  • Mid-sized areas will do better than expected due to increased pass sales and bigger areas selling out, creating redirect traffic to areas that are not normally visited by many.
  • Bitching. Lots and lots of bitching.
  • Like 1

There are some big maybes out there, the biggest is whether we'll have a viable ski season or not?

-take nothing for granted, be grateful for any ski time.  the mid-march shut down in 2020 took away more than half my planned ski days last winter, ~25 instead of 50.  Hopefully I'll get more this time.

-usually i visit 5 or 10 different ski areas spread across the US, but i may only ski one or two different mtns this winter.  It could be a 3000' vert mtn, or it could be a 500' vert mtn.

-will i have to go full introvert this season? i am a very social skier, love to meet and ski with other people.  I'm the stranger that will chat you up on the lift. 

-i probably won't start skiing until jan and might even delay until feb.  not sure what my reaction is going to be when i first pull into a ski area parking lot and see a huge crowd.  might turn around and go home?

-i'm willing to take some risks to ski because i like it so much, but my wife's a retired skier at this point.  any virus exposure i get, is virus exposure she gets.  if this friggin' nationwide surge keeps going up exponentially i guess i have to consider the unthinkable - no skiing at all this winter for me🥺

Getting to cut the tramline with my son last Feb:

loading the tram.jpg

Edited by JimK
  • Like 1

I hope to get more days this year than last (should be able to beat the four from last year).

I expect to ski almost zero weekend days.

I expect on-mountain condo values across the northeast to continue to increase, and I suspect that you'll see more developments announced over the next couple of years. 

As someone else commented above, I bet there are many nervous folks within the walls of Vail Resorts, and I'm thinking it might be time for me to dump the handful of shares that I own.

On 12/11/2020 at 9:07 PM, thesnowway said:
  • VT will eventually shut down and NH lifts take up the slack and will become unbearable.

NY probably won't close ski areas. Biking, hiking, Kayaking Climbing and Golfing, are considered essential businesses. Recreation is considered nonessential in VT and NH. NYS has the clearest guidelines, though outdoor skating rinks, and ski areas need to be added to the list.

1 hour ago, Puck it said:

Remember they shut tennis down last spring. Isn’t tennis the ultimate social distancing game especially singles. 

Yeah that's a great point. Tennis is a great parallel to skiing. The athletes / participants are almost completely socially distanced. It's not about them, it's about all the infrastructure that surrounds both sports. The employees of ski areas, the line judges and coaches in tennis, etc. Neither sport will be shut down due to the people participating in the actual sport, it's everything around them that makes the sport possible that ends up being problematic.

Edited by Cannonballer
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

Yeah that's a great point. Tennis is a great parallel to skiing. The athletes / participants are almost completely socially distanced. It's not about them, it's about all the infrastructure that surrounds both sports. The employees of ski areas, the line judges and coaches in tennis, etc. Neither sport will be shut down due to the people participating in the actual sport, it's everything around them that makes the sport possible that ends up being problematic.

Yes that was the case for tennis clubs.  However, I believe they shut the public courts I feel I am not mistaken. This would be just two people playing. 

3 hours ago, Puck it said:

Yes that was the case for tennis clubs.  However, I believe they shut the public courts I feel I am not mistaken. This would be just two people playing. 

I think so, though in NY the period was short.