Trace Snow is Dead. What Ski Tracking App is everyone using now?

RIP Trace. Loved the jump counting feature despite @ABVhacking and exploiting it. 

I used Ski Tracks a long time ago and it looks like it hasn't been updated all these years I've been using Trace. I tried Slopes today and while the UI is nice, it seems like most of the decent features are behind an absurdly priced paywall. Zero chance I pay $25 annually for that, especially when its still Beta for Android.

Might have to try out Strava next

• Like 1

Yesterday I ran Ski Tracker, Ski Tracks, Slopes, and my Garmin watch. Garmin has its own tracker plus it links to Strava.  They all gave generally similar results with no dramatic differences in vert, speed, or distance.  They do tend to count "runs" a little differently and counted between 6 and 9 for the day. 

Ski Tracker and Ski Tracks have good data but really outdated looking UIs.  Slopes has a nicer UI. And I found it was pretty easy and cool to be able to import data from another tracking app. But I agree with @fcksummerthat the premium pricing is an absurd non-starter.

Garmin/Strava used to be terrible for skiing/snowboarding because they counted lift rides as part of your effort. Now they have that sorted out really well and do a great job of actually tracking individual runs.  I'll probably use these the most. Being able to track from my watch instead of phone is a battery saver and adds extra data like heart rate that the phone can't do. 

• Like 1

I've been using Alpine Replay / Trace for a long time. Sad it's gone, but I had a feeling that day was coming.

I think I am going to be trying to use my Garmin watch as my principal tracker this year.

Happy to connect with anyone on the Garmin platform who is interested.

-w

• 2 weeks later...

Check out We Ski & Snowboard. It's a modern app that records your days on the mountain, tracks your stats by season, and is socially oriented. It's free and doesn't have ads.

It also has maps that show you where your friends are on the mountain and what lifts are nearby. It's fairly conservative on battery use.

I'm the developer.

The killer feature is you can see wait times for the lifts around you. I will activate that feature once there are enough folks using the app to make it accurate. So spread the word!

Apple App Store

Google Play Store

21 hours ago, bradmofo said:

Check out We Ski & Snowboard. It's a modern app that records your days on the mountain, tracks your stats by season, and is socially oriented. It's free and doesn't have ads.

It also has maps that show you where your friends are on the mountain and what lifts are nearby. It's fairly conservative on battery use.

I'm the developer.

The killer feature is you can see wait times for the lifts around you. I will activate that feature once there are enough folks using the app to make it accurate. So spread the word!

Apple App Store

Google Play Store

Good luck with the app. How do you plan on supporting it if there's no ads and it's free? Is there a premium version? If so, what features are not included in the free model? 

Also is there an option to export GPX files? No offense but if a largely used app like Trace couldn't survive I wouldn't feel comfortable using a somewhat newer one if there's a chance I couldn't retrieve my data if you were to go under...