Trace Snow is Dead. What Ski Tracking App is everyone using now?

RIP Trace. Loved the jump counting feature despite @ABVhacking and exploiting it. 

I used Ski Tracks a long time ago and it looks like it hasn't been updated all these years I've been using Trace. I tried Slopes today and while the UI is nice, it seems like most of the decent features are behind an absurdly priced paywall. Zero chance I pay $25 annually for that, especially when its still Beta for Android.

Might have to try out Strava next

• Like 1

Yesterday I ran Ski Tracker, Ski Tracks, Slopes, and my Garmin watch. Garmin has its own tracker plus it links to Strava.  They all gave generally similar results with no dramatic differences in vert, speed, or distance.  They do tend to count "runs" a little differently and counted between 6 and 9 for the day. 

Ski Tracker and Ski Tracks have good data but really outdated looking UIs.  Slopes has a nicer UI. And I found it was pretty easy and cool to be able to import data from another tracking app. But I agree with @fcksummerthat the premium pricing is an absurd non-starter.

Garmin/Strava used to be terrible for skiing/snowboarding because they counted lift rides as part of your effort. Now they have that sorted out really well and do a great job of actually tracking individual runs.  I'll probably use these the most. Being able to track from my watch instead of phone is a battery saver and adds extra data like heart rate that the phone can't do. 

• Like 1

I've been using Alpine Replay / Trace for a long time. Sad it's gone, but I had a feeling that day was coming.

I think I am going to be trying to use my Garmin watch as my principal tracker this year.

Happy to connect with anyone on the Garmin platform who is interested.

-w

• 2 weeks later...

Check out We Ski & Snowboard. It's a modern app that records your days on the mountain, tracks your stats by season, and is socially oriented. It's free and doesn't have ads.

It also has maps that show you where your friends are on the mountain and what lifts are nearby. It's fairly conservative on battery use.

I'm the developer.

The killer feature is you can see wait times for the lifts around you. I will activate that feature once there are enough folks using the app to make it accurate. So spread the word!

Apple App Store

Google Play Store

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, bradmofo said:

Check out We Ski & Snowboard. It's a modern app that records your days on the mountain, tracks your stats by season, and is socially oriented. It's free and doesn't have ads.

It also has maps that show you where your friends are on the mountain and what lifts are nearby. It's fairly conservative on battery use.

I'm the developer.

The killer feature is you can see wait times for the lifts around you. I will activate that feature once there are enough folks using the app to make it accurate. So spread the word!

Apple App Store

Google Play Store

Good luck with the app. How do you plan on supporting it if there's no ads and it's free? Is there a premium version? If so, what features are not included in the free model? 

Also is there an option to export GPX files? No offense but if a largely used app like Trace couldn't survive I wouldn't feel comfortable using a somewhat newer one if there's a chance I couldn't retrieve my data if you were to go under...

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2020 at 1:16 AM, bradmofo said:

I'm the developer.

Apple App Store

Google Play Store

I'm downloading now! Will provide feedback when I use it.

• 4 weeks later...

Im sorry if i sound dumb but had this problem of the Trace not uploading yesterday too ! 

Does this mean that my trace Pod is useless then my girlfriend paid around $200 for this ! are they even allowed do this ?

3 hours ago, rp05 said:

Im sorry if i sound dumb but had this problem of the Trace not uploading yesterday too ! 

Does this mean that my trace Pod is useless then my girlfriend paid around $200 for this ! are they even allowed do this ?

Ouch that sucks. Unfortunately I'd imagine it's useless as this point as the system doesn't seem to be receiving any newly updated data. I'm not sure what recourse you have but you could try reaching out to them and see if you get a response. Support@traceup.com 

4 hours ago, rp05 said:

Yeah I would say Trace Snow is permanently dead.  When you click their "upgrade to premium" button it returns a 404 error. 

But their soccer products still seem to be alive (https://traceup.com/) . So that suggest that company hasn't completely disappeared.  That might be good news for you contacting them for a refund on your pod. 

If you got it somewhat recently you could also try going to your girlfriend's credit card company to dispute the charge.  Good luck!

Yeah contacted them and the basically said hard luck we just deal with soccer now ! I just dont understand how you cant just sync to a PC or something as it is still working perfectly the problem is with the app dont want to upload or anything just to keep track of my rides on Laptop

Thanks for the replies

Edited by rp05
1 hour ago, rp05 said:

Yeah contacted them and the basically said hard luck we just deal with soccer now ! I just dont understand how you cant just sync to a PC or something as it is still working perfectly the problem is with the app dont want to upload or anything just to keep track of my rides on Laptop

Thanks for the replies

I would contact the BBB. To just discontinue a product like that and start doing something else leaving your existing users high and dry is unacceptable. 

Glad I found this forum and thread. Anyway I'm one of those searching for a replacement for Trace Snow.  So far I've tried Slopes, probably the best UI but is too expensive ($20+/season) and will drive away adoption plus the android app is still buggy.  Ski Tracks - which is basic, effective but there is no way to share with friends.  Ski Tracker - didn't like the paywall or forced to watch a 30-60second video to see your stats for the day and offered nothing that the others didn't offer for free. We Ski & Snowboard app for iPhone and Android is thus far probably my leader.  You can track "friends" but like all the others mentioned there is no public leaderboard yet, though they hinted they may be working on it.  I also have been using Strava linked to my Garmin Fenix 6 Pro, but the Strava app for ski stats isn't as robust as the other mentioned apps. 

For me the winner will be the one that has the best public leaderboard.  That's where Trace really excelled.  Its use was so widespread and it was fun to see what others were doing at your mountain and those around the world. It blows my mind that those people at Trace couldn't figure out how to monetize the largest community of skiers using their app from around the world. Then they just abandoned the platform without warning, leaving a huge gap for the skier/boarder community.  Plus they screwed over those that bought their hardware.  Unethical, not very bright and makes no sense. 

I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say with their app experiences.

Edited by Andy Little
1 hour ago, Andy Little said:

Glad I found this forum and thread. Anyway I'm one of those searching for a replacement for Trace Snow.  So far I've tried Slopes, probably the best UI but is too expensive ($20+/season) and will drive away adoption plus the android app is still buggy.  Ski Tracks - which is basic, effective but there is no way to share with friends.  Ski Tracker - didn't like the paywall or forced to watch a 30-60second video to see your stats for the day and offered nothing that the others didn't offer for free. We Ski & Snowboard app for iPhone and Android is thus far probably my leader.  You can track "friends" but like all the others mentioned there is no public leaderboard yet, though they hinted they may be working on it.  I also have been using Strava linked to my Garmin Fenix 6 Pro, but the Strava app for ski stats isn't as robust as the other mentioned apps. 

For me the winner will be the one that has the best public leaderboard.  That's where Trace really excelled.  Its use was so widespread and it was fun to see what others were doing at your mountain and those around the world. It blows my mind that those people at Trace couldn't figure out how to monetize the largest community of skiers using their app from around the world. Then they just abandoned the platform without warning, leaving a huge gap for the skier/boarder community.  Plus they screwed over those that bought their hardware.  Unethical, not very bright and makes no sense. 

I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say with their app experiences.

We Ski & Snowboard looks promising. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed the developer registered and pitched the app here but never returned to answer a question I had. 

I'm personally using Strava as it's the most established service out there right now and IMO most likely to survive as it serves other sports. 

• Like 1
On 2/14/2021 at 10:59 AM, fcksummer said:

We Ski & Snowboard looks promising. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed the developer registered and pitched the app here but never returned to answer a question I had. 

I'm personally using Strava as it's the most established service out there right now and IMO most likely to survive as it serves other sports. 

I have an old iphone 7 i just use to listen to music on the mountain ! do you know if i need service or internet to use that We Ski & Snowboard ??

22 hours ago, Puck it said:

Hmm. Wonder if we could buy the old app?

wouldnt be a bad idea ! the fact that they stop supporting doesnt explain why it would just stop connecting to the trace pod ? so they should have no problem releasing it 

30 minutes ago, rp05 said:

I have an old iphone 7 i just use to listen to music on the mountain ! do you know if i need service or internet to use that We Ski & Snowboard ??

Don't know. I would assume so. You could try running it when you're at home and see if it complains about not having a connection 

So I've sent three request to Trace Snow and I've received absolutely no response.  I even contacted their customer service for their soccer product and no response.  Basically I asked if they thought about selling the platform for Trace Snow and/or was the developer still around?  I'm beginning to think Trace was led by boneheads or some key person left the organization. 

Anyway I've been chatting via email with Brad, the contact at We Ski and Snowboard.  So far this is the one I like the best of those I tried.  He's very receptive to ideas. What's great is they already have an iPhone and Android version.  I'm really emphasizing the need for a leaderboard like Trace Snow had.  Correct me if I'm wrong but the leaderboard is a big need which would separate it from the myriad of other ski tracking apps.  We Ski also lets you track friends in real time on the mountain but I haven't tried that feature yet. I'm encouraging some friends to give it a try so I can see how that feature works.

I continue to run We Ski in parallel with Ski Tracks on my Samsung S10.  Honestly with Spotify running music into my bluetooth ODT Chips and the 2 GPS tracking apps it's not killing my battery.  I recently spent almost 6 hours out there on a <20 degree F day and had plenty of battery left.  As a backup I keep using the Ski app on my Fenix 6 Pro as well--- I know Garmin will be around for a long time.

I also asked him how in the long term he intends to keep this a viable app-- one time cost, seasonal fees etc.  I sent that over to him today along with some other info.  Seems like a good guy and very responsive.

these people are the worst kind of business people you can imagine. Motto "ignore until they all disappear" kinda people. There are people who paid ton of money for their "pod" thing to stick into skis .... next thing you know POOF gone, no reply, no service, no support, no nothing. They figured Soccer is better $ for them and went that way, but ANY good business with ANY VALUE system installed, would still care about their old customers and communite. POS people.

• Like 2
On 2/15/2021 at 8:34 PM, Andy Little said:

I've reached out to the company as I had two contacts from previous email correspondence. Dave lokshin and Rolando. 'll let you know their response. 

Yeah good luck. Scam artists maximum. And thanks for bringing their names into light " Dave Lokshin " and " Rolando " what ever family name. Soccer people be aware.

Edited by Jim
  • Like 2
On 2/14/2021 at 10:59 AM, fcksummer said:

Just an update here on We Ski:  I've corresponded with the developer numerous times via email and he's been very responsive and receptive to ideas.  A leaderboard is also on the roadmap. His primary focus right now is to incorporate lift wait time calculations into the app.  I also asked him about his plans to fund the App and he said while it's still early, ultimately he's considering a Freemium model---where current feature set is free and expanded feature set will come at additional cost. 

In the mean time I've continued to use We Ski and continue to be very happy with it.  It's very light on the battery and the features are good.  I do like the way you an toggle through each lift and run, see it on a map and get the stats.  The only issue I've seen is that skied distance has been consistently a bit high compared to Ski Tracks and my Fenix 6 ski app.  He did say he's got some ideas on how to solve that.  

Also FYI here's an article about 5 different ski tracking apps.

https://www.skimag.com/performance/fitness/best-ski-tracking-apps/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=onsiteshare

Edited by Andy Little