2021 MTB Log

So 2020 was a crazy year in the MTB world. All of those people cooped up due to Covid decided to buy bikes and get out there. Bike prices skyrocketed, parts were hard to come by, shops were only taking 'existing clients', and the trails were packed.  It's going to be interesting to see what happens next. Will it continue on the same trajectory or will there suddenly be a flood of slightly used bikes for sale?

I got out for my first ride of the year on 1/8/2021. We started the morning snowboarding at Cannon with @Puck it. After a bunch of uninspiring groomer runs in the low viz of Cannon's snowmaking cloud I convinced my nephew that we should bail to seek some sun and change of pace. We packed up the fat bikes and hit PRKR in Littleton. It was his first time riding snow so we targeted some of the easier stuff (which is PRKR's best anyway).  Conditions were as good as it gets. They had laid down a nice narrow grooming through the fluff. No ice, no getting bogged down in deep stuff.  At 23 degrees and sunny the temps were just about perfect for dressing light without freezing or overheating. 

So excited to be back in saddle in 2021!

IMG_20210108_124151714_BURST010.jpg

IMG_20210108_124713135_BURST002.jpg

IMG_20210108_131842537_HDR.jpg

49 minutes ago, StraightSkis said:

@CannonballerI am new to fat biking. What tire pressure would you have on a trail like the pictures above?

Welcome to it, you'll love it!  I ran ~5-6 psi front and back on that groomed trail.  It felt just right.  I rode today on a trail that wasn't groomed and only packed out by snowshoes. So it was rougher and softer. I ran 4psi for that and liked it.  It's pretty hard to run less than that. 

I definitely recommend getting a good low pressure gauge that reads less than 15psi.  Normal gauges don't have enough accuracy at the low end help you make those fine adjustments that make a big difference. 

• Thanks 1

I rode Loon's XC ski network today.  I ride this a lot in the summer as a good workout even though it's pretty boring. I usually stay off of it in the winter because they charge for trail access and there is very limited parking.  This winter they aren't charging and they generally don't plan to maintain it, but it's not off limits.  So I went over to see what kind of shape it was in. With the snow and other precip coming tonight I figure that riding may be off the table for a few days at least.

As it turns out, they did in fact groom the main loop into a nice wide double track. Quite a few dog walkers were out taking advantage of that. The riding on that was nice and easy. Then I turned off onto one of the steeper climbs. This trail is already a long uphill slog in summer.  Today it was ungroomed except for a single snowmobile track. That made for soft, uneven, focused climbing.  At the top I peeled off to take on of the steeper downhill 'bypass' trails.  This was basically untracked except for some boot packing and offered some untouched ~6” snow for the descent. This was the deepest and steepest I've ever descended on my bike. It was terrifying...and a blast!  I took a few good falls.  If the climb wasn't so brutal I would have done more laps.  I finished with a 2nd lap on the lower loop to get the mileage up. Hoping that they continue to partially maintain it as the season goes on.

Screenshot_20210115-165013.png

Screenshot_20210115-165106.png

IMG_20210115_124605448_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210115_130645316_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210115_130906445.jpg

• 3 months later...

Great few days of riding. Fri: Duxbury, Sat: Carolina Hill, Sun: Foxborough. For late April/Early May the trails are in amazing shape.

First time at Foxborough today I got the tour from a few buddies. Nothing extreme, just a good mix of singletrack with rocky tech sections. 

Screenshot_20210502-174511.png

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Machski said:

While not exactly a log or a Northeast area, Granite Peak in Wisconsin dropped their expansion plans.  If they get their full proposal, that would included a dedicated 4 season bike lift (fat biking in the winter)!  First I think I have seen that type of proposal anywhere.

https://liftblog.com/2021/06/21/granite-peak-expansion-options-unveiled/

I know there are at least 2 such lift. One former ski area in NH and the other is a place in Texas. I am surprised there no lift accessed mountain biking near Bentonville, Arkensas.

On 6/22/2021 at 4:05 PM, Benski said:

I know there are at least 2 such lift. One former ski area in NH and the other is a place in Texas. I am surprised there no lift accessed mountain biking near Bentonville, Arkensas.

Very true, but Highlands and the TX area do not offer skiing.  Granite Peak does and plans to expand their skin ops too.  But this lift would be non skiing year round access, that is something different.  I do not think Highlands operates in the winter and if the TX tried they probably would have to run on backup generators when they actual get winter weather 😝

20 hours ago, Machski said:

Very true, but Highlands and the TX area do not offer skiing.  Granite Peak does and plans to expand their skin ops too.  But this lift would be non skiing year round access, that is something different.  I do not think Highlands operates in the winter and if the TX tried they probably would have to run on backup generators when they actual get winter weather 😝

Long time no post. Highland has done the Winter Woolly for the last few years where they open the lifts for fat bikes for one day, have a race, etc. It's fun and definitely worth checking out if you fat bike.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well, I had big intentions of keeping this thread going all year.  Instead I'm jumping from shoulder season to shoulder season (my last post was in May). In the coming weeks I'll try to do some recap and trail descriptions form a great summer of riding at places like Bethlehem Trails Association, Coos, Green Woodlands, PRKR, West Barnstable, Pine Hills, Loon, Massasoit, Wampatuck, Lincoln RI, and others.

For now...summer is over.  I had to break out the lights this morning just so I could get a ride in.  I hit my local 'workout' trails at Carolina Hill, Marshfield. 6am was completely dark and 44 degrees.  Even though I know these trails inside and out I had to keep the lights on until almost 7am to be able to see well.  This is a network that drains really well, so despite all the rain this summer the trails are in good shape with only a few mud spots. And fall has barely started on the South Shore so leaves aren't an issue yet.  In another few weeks the dark, leaves, and cold are going to make weekday rides pretty rough. 

IMG_20211019_062319529.thumb.jpg.7c952bcb08dfa50964f41b177c6ffdbb.jpg