• $615 raised

Goal: $300

Snowbird after mid-Feb 2021 storm cycle

1613781510_csodkkmozjjs.jpg

I got up to Snowbird today from about 2-430PM.  My first lift served skiing of the season!  It was good.  They've had 4+ feet of snow this week, which led to 2.5 days of closure due to avi mitigation work.  No skiing, no open access road.  Today was the first fully reopened day since the storm.  I heard the place was mobbed in the morning.  Somebody told me they started up the access road at 7 am and didn't start skiing until 11am.  but not bad by the time we got there.

This is my son.

1613781641_nzhcuughskxm.jpg

About a 5-10 min wait for little cloud lift at 315pm.

1613781707_gkhfmkyzxtji.jpg

The willibere double stays open until 430 pm so I made a few late laps there until closing.  No lines on the old fixed grip doubles here.  Everyone chooses the HSQs.

1613781762_quxtvzikvwhy.jpg1613781821_wwxseqpkitsv.jpg

It felt good to do some downhill skiing!  Hopefully a lot more in the upcoming weeks.

Edited by JimK

5-10 minuet waits does put you near the break even point so people avoiding the fixed grips seams rational. I wonder if the mountain will be open more when improve the LCC road or add the Gondola down to Sandy?

I have found in many visits over the last five years to Snowbird, that weekdays when there is no new snow over 8" or so, are very light and no problems.  This constitutes 85% of all weekdays in a season.  Covid has this year kind of messed up with strange trends in crowding. 

I just spent all day today 2/20/21 at Snowbird and had a great time in manageable crowds, even though it was a Sat.  My son had a parking reservation for today and there was plenty of parking.  Maybe everyone who got burned yesterday morning decided to stay away today.  The drive up the canyon took us 35 mins at 8am, this is twice as long as normal for us, but still not bad compared to what heard was 2 hrs yesterday.  I waited about 15-20 for my first chairlift ride out of the base, a little longer than a light day, but then was able to steer to lesser traffic trails/lifts and had a great day.

I'll try to post a few photos here shortly.

Edited by JimK

DSCN3574 (2).JPG

above photo is base of mineral basin about noon time, the line might have been 10-15 mins, but i used chair to right called Baldy with no line and great skiing/snow for about 90 mins in a period of decent viz.

DSCN3591 (2).JPG

above is whodunnit trail with view of snowbird base and cliff lodge.

DSCN3572 (2).JPG

saw some intermittent breezy, snow squalls and didn't mind wearing a mask.  on this lift and about 30% of my rides a I rode alone due to moderate crowds and covid rules.  other times i would double up on hsq chairs.

DSCN3579 (2).JPG

this is a view of snowbird summit from baldy chair in mineral basin. everything you see is in play, IF YOU CAN SEE IT on low vis days:-)

Edited by JimK

Was up at Snowbird again today, 3rd day in a row.  Today featured more sun.  The snow was great.  I'll share a few pics.

View of Snowbird base coming down Gad Valley side.

DSCN3597 (2).JPG

View of the tram and Peruvian Gulch from up on Cirque Traverse.

DSCN3611 (2).JPG

Dropping into lower Cirque area.

DSCN3613 (2).JPG

Looking up at middle/lower cirque.  It's a bit steeper than it looks in this pic.  there's a name for those cliffs, The Forbidden Zone, and they ski that stuff.

DSCN3618 (3).JPG

The climb in this is section of Gad 2 lift line is always impressive.

DSCN3624 (2).JPG

View of Mt. Timpanogos from Mineral Basin

DSCN3629 (2).JPG

View of Peruvian Gulch section of the mountain from a little below the summit of Hidden Peak (11000') at Snowbird, UT

DSCN3635 (2).JPG

Edited by JimK

Was up at Snowbird today, 2/23/2021.  I have figured out the parking reservation system.  Basically, on normal weekdays without significant fresh snow you can get a reservation the night before or even morning of, with no problem.  In a few more weeks you might be able to do that for weekends too.

It was a low vis AM, here this dude is scoping out Upper Cirque.

DSCN3638 (2).JPG

Around 1PM it went from ugly to pretty in a hurry. 

DSCN3651 (2).JPG

This is the first day I've gotten to ski the terrain off Road to Provo.  It was closed for a few days after the big storm last week.

DSCN3656 (2).JPG

Edited by JimK
Posted (edited)

Today was a pretty special day at Snowbird, it snowed more than a foot yesterday and my son and I got into terrain that had not been opened to the public in a couple weeks, so it skied much deeper than that.  This is around Tiger Tail and Thunder Bowl towards the lookers right on the frontside of the mtn.

1124089678_thunderbowl.thumb.JPG.a2e863bad83d232dcf0f25f9698ee4c0.JPG

1614556863_hifddftmwdwf.jpg

1614556999_frudwlfbgcwe.jpg1614557025_ntpzmnsjzsvl.jpg1614557044_pzajsxqpcbbv.jpg1614557066_kegyrqyhtmwm.jpg1614557082_tjouwmacseml.jpg1614557101_bjjotdsopgca.jpg1614557116_enokzrfgbuql.jpg

Edited by JimK
Posted (edited)

I never get tired of this view, Snowbird's Mineral Basin with Mt. Timpanogos in the background, 4 Mar 21:

mar 4 norman.jpg

A friend took this shot of me in ski photog mode yesterday on Great Scott at Snowbird, UT:

jim photog great scott by justin mills (2).jpeg

Edited by JimK