• $615 raised

Goal: $300

Alterra Capital Plan Announced. Gondola Connection between Squaw & Alpine Meadows. Terrain expansion at Steamboat.

Squaw Valley is adding a base to base gondola to transport people between Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows. It'll be a 16 minute ride.

Steamboat is adding 650 new acres and says it'll be advanced/expert terrain. 

The rest of the announcements for Deer Valley & Mammoth are base and lodge upgrades. 

22 hours ago, fcksummer said:

Squaw Valley is adding a base to base gondola to transport people between Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows. It'll be a 16 minute ride.

Steamboat is adding 650 new acres and says it'll be advanced/expert terrain. 

The rest of the announcements for Deer Valley & Mammoth are base and lodge upgrades. 

That Gondola should be called Slide Brook 2.0, but this time the land owner is too much of a dick to let us ski the evacuation trails. According to Google Maps the drive between the two base areas is faster. I wonder if KT-22 will be removed since it will become redundant.

Notable this year Slide Brook runs 7 days a week under Alterra, vs 2-5 under Win Smith.

And does this mean most of there resorts are getting nothing? I know the new general manager said there were looking into new terrain. Likely some trees off the ridge.

3 hours ago, Benski said:

That Gondola should be called Slide Brook 2.0, but this time the land owner is too much of a dick to let us ski the evacuation trails. According to Google Maps the drive between the two base areas is faster. I wonder if KT-22 will be removed since it will become redundant.

Notable this year Slide Brook runs 7 days a week under Alterra, vs 2-5 under Win Smith.

And does this mean most of there resorts are getting nothing? I know the new general manager said there were looking into new terrain. Likely some trees off the ridge.

Sorry, forgot to post the link. Here's the full report from them Alterra

https://www.alterramtnco.com/news/2021/04/12/alterra-mountain-company-announces-usd207-million-in-transformational.html

Can anyone name any other improvements coming up this summer?

I know VT Adaptive/Sugarbush are adding onto the Mt. Ellen Base Lodge, new meeting storage and office space for VT Adaptive and a new elevator and bathrooms for everyone else. I guess it will also get some people out of the cafeteria, and maybe a few seats will be added in the old VT Adaptive space.

It's odd no mention of the two 6 packs put on hold out at Mammoth last year or the new stuff up at Tremblant.  Vail basically went forward with all of their postponed plans from last season.

Sugar USB is too early for Alterra to go all in.  I would expect them to take there time there, Snowmaking could use a boost to pump capacity but like anything in VT, you have to navigate Act250.

Alpine-Olympic (god forbid we call it Squaw for much longer) Gondola is cool, sure the drive CAN be faster when both roads are clear of snow and/or traffic.  But it is the Sierra, getting vehicles off the road is seen as a very good thing.  New gondi is suppose to cross over the top of KT22 lift from what I have read.  Have to imagine it may have some wind issues.  There is a reason they put in the Funnitel at high cost vs a standard gondola.

Alterra seamed to only mention really big projects in the press release.

As for Sugarbush snow making, it might not require a fresh act 250. I know they quietly got permitted to add a little pipe a few years ago, so who knows how much of the system is overbuilt/permitted to be expanded already.

In 2019 before Alterra bought the resort they started planning a second, larger, pond for 2023. They were also permitted to build a much a pond triple the size but ran into issues executing. The current pond was hastily rebuilt after hurricane Irene https://www.valleyreporter.com/index.php/news/local-news/13869-second-snowmaking-pond-planned