• $615 raised

Goal: $300

Mount Snow to Charge for Parking Next Year

Mount Snow will charge for parking next year on weekend and holidays in most lots. Reddit seams pretty pissed off. I generally support paid parking since it encourages carpooling and bus usage, and free parking is usually payed for with higher prices at the business that is providing the space. In addition I generally think parking lots are ugly and in the way and anything that encourages less driving is good.

On 5/28/2021 at 5:26 PM, Benski said:

Mount Snow will charge for parking next year on weekend and holidays in most lots. Reddit seams pretty pissed off. I generally support paid parking since it encourages carpooling and bus usage, and free parking is usually payed for with higher prices at the business that is providing the space. In addition I generally think parking lots are ugly and in the way and anything that encourages less driving is good.

Although I do not use it, I do think some paid premium parking is a fair idea on peak days/weekends.  I have several friends who have that pass at SR (we don't as we are slopeside most of the season anyway once WC opens) and love it.  I'm sure it pisses some folks off, but it doesn't wipe out entire lots to free parking.  The Mount Snow plan does, to me it is off the rails.  They are trying to bring the Vail experience East IMHO.  Sure, the season ski/ride pass is dirt cheap.  But the rest of the visit is priced out for many.  Honestly, I'm a bit surprised this didn't start up at Stowe, but Snow is the most accessible Vail resort to population centers.  I would also think that without big improvements to Toll House (as in Snowmaking and a new lift) that would be much harder to fully implement at Stowe.  Will be interesting to see what this does at Snow.  We have an Epic local but we skied there a lot the year we lived in CT.  Other than the Bluebird lift and increased Snowmaking power, nothing much has changed.  And I don't feel a need to go back and play into this experiment.