Vail Sucks

Can this really be a ski forum without a 'Vail Sucks' thread?  Right now it's the bread and butter of every other forum. Thousands of posts.

I'm not in weeds on it because I don't have an Epic Pass. But they sure have f'd up Wildcat the past few seasons. What a disaster!

Thoughts and experiences?

I'm sick of the topic, but maybe that's because I don't have a VR pass this year.  If I did I might have a little more fire about it.  Love the idea of dozens of resorts on one, relatively cheap pass and have pretty much taken advantage of one megapass or the other for the last 6-8 years, but I acknowledge that VR's acquisition/consolidation tactics can drastically change the long time management dynamic at the various places they keep buying. 

Edited by JimK

So far, they have not been great.  Very little terrain at Sunapee compared to rapid expansion just up the road at Ragged.  Crotched still not open but McIntyre opened this weekend.  And VR does not show on its trail reports where they are making snow.  This is important to Eastern skier's/riders.  They seem clueless to me and likely we will not be returning passholders EVER given what I have seen to date.

Wildcat became my favorite mountain when I went there for the first time 10 years ago. Since then I have skied at Wildcat almost exclusively.

When Vail acquired Peaks I was hopeful that the Wildcat I loved wouldn’t change, or minimally change for the better. I figured Vail would fix the bathrooms and the water because no way would Vail want a new visitor showing up to Wildcat by accident and having the bathroom/water experience that Wildcat had.

I also thought Wildcat would be left alone because it is profitable (at least minimally) and at the same time wouldn’t move the needle on Vail earnings reports. I was naive and wrong.

I love North Conway and would prefer skiing there every weekend, but Cranmore and Attitash are non-starters for me.

This year I will ski at Wildcat. For next year and beyond, I don’t know right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Crotched is officially reduced to a 5 day a week operation (Wed-Sun) and a 3 night a week operation (Thurs-Sat only until 9pm).  They blamed the weather and while it has not been highly coorperative, Pat's Peak seems to have had little trouble getting most of their mountain and ALL lifts running.  BTW, Crotched has been running all week on just the Rocket, West Double (which has had issues all week) and the Carpet.  Valley Quad could have been in use, especially when West went down but no.  Have heard reports it isn't even inspected and Park Triple, well the line is slack and all chairs are on the ground.  Just WOW.

It feels like the quality and quantity of snow making at Sunapee has really dropped off. It's not nearly as bad as when the state was running things, but it's not even close to when the Muellers ran it. If it wasn't for the fact that Sunapee is ~20 minutes from my front door, I wouldn't bother with the epic pass.