Weatherman

2018 trip to Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy

2018 EICSL Ski Trip – Cortina d’Ampezzo and Venice, Italy 

I am personally organizing this year's Eastern Inter-Club Ski League (EICSL) trip to the Dolomites of Italy with an optional extension to Venice. You can join ACE Ski Club for $40 including EICSL membership, and joining over the summer includes next (2017-18) season. Joining ACE qualifies you for the upcoming summer ticket sale (see previous year's prices). And new EICSL members also receive a free lift ticket to Bretton Woods for the season kick-off event on December 9, 2017 -- the same day as the demo day that I previously announced. (See how a plan just comes together!)

We will depart from Boston in the evening of Friday, January 26, 2018. The 8:30pm flight was timed so that you can work a full day Friday and then head to the airport. The 7-day trip will return Saturday, February 3. 

We will stay in Cortina d’Ampezzo, home of the 1956 winter Olympics. Cortina is the heart of the Dolomites near the famous Sellaronda and First World War Ski Tour circuits. The Hotel Olimpia is located in the heart of Cortina within walking distance to the lifts and bus station to go to other Dolomites areas. The included Dolomite Super Ski pass is valid at 12 ski areas with 450 lifts and 1160 km of pistes.

Cortina_belfry_a.JPG

An optional 2-day (Feb 3-5) extension is being offered to experience Carnevale in Venice. Get your costumes ready! This will be an amazing experience. Carnevale in Venice is the most prominent of all Carnival celebrations in Europe. The 4-star Hotel Bonvecchiati is in Calle Goldoni, just a 3-minute walk from Saint Mark’s Square and 5 minutes from the Rialto Bridge. The extension will return Monday, February 5. The extension is subject to minimum participation numbers.

Venice_Carnival_-_Masked_Lovers_(2010).j

Inclusions:

·      Roundtrip airfare Boston to Venice on Lufthansa

·      Roundtrip private ground transfers Venice to Cortina (about 2 hours)

·      7 nights lodging at the Hotel Olimpia in downtown Cortina, 500 meters from the lifts

·      Daily breakfast at the hotel

·      5 of 5 day Dolomite Super Ski Pass. A 6th day can be purchased for $60. 

Estimated cost per person:

7-night Cortina ski trip:           Double occupancy $1740                    Single: $1875 

2-night Venice extension:       Double occupancy $500                      Single: $820

*** Note: Costs are approximate and based on the current exchange rate. The final payment will be adjusted to account for fluctuations in the exchange rate. Space is limited on a first-come, first-served basis. The quoted price is for the first 20 to register. Additional participants may be added but the price for those additional registrants may change.

Payment Schedule:

Payments are due in thirds. See the registration form for payment amounts.

1.     First third due with registration to reserve your spot. $300 is non-refundable.

2.     Sept. 11, 2017 - Second third due. All payments become non-refundable.

3.     Nov. 6, 2017 - Final payment (with currency adjustment) 

Flights:

Jan 26 Lufthansa #425 Boston to Munich 8:30 pm – 9:50 am +1

Jan 27 Lufthansa #9456 Munich to Venice 11:35am -12:35 pm

Feb 3 Lufthansa #9475 Venice to Munich 1:15 pm – 2:20 pm

Feb 3 Lufthansa #424 Munich to Boston 3:35 pm – 6:35 pm

** Extension flights TBA, subject to availability and participation.

Online registration:

*** Registration requires you join EICSL ***

Join online and then Register today!

If you'd like to register, it would be helpful to know by July 15. Limited space will be available after this date, but I'll be making a one-time adjustment to the group reservation with the travel agent next week. Any adjustment before then are much easier.

Glad to hear that it's going well. Curious who is booking the trip. Obviously there has been no discussion about it here (you're really the only one posting in this thread) so is it mostly people you know from your ski clubs? Or are you working on advertising it elsewhere? Just curious how it all works.

I'm going on the trip. I can't wait. It is mostly people from the ski clubs but there's a few names I don't really know and in general most ski club people are pretty nice. 

3 hours ago, lsrocket26 said:

I'm going on the trip. I can't wait. It is mostly people from the ski clubs but there's a few names I don't really know and in general most ski club people are pretty nice. 

Yes, most but not all are ski club members. It looks like a great group in the making. I'm stoked.

I've been to canada, mexico, jamacia and bermuda. It will be mikes first time off the continet as well, so i'm not the only one.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

1 hour ago, lsrocket26 said:

I've been to canada, mexico, jamacia and bermuda. It will be mikes first time off the continet as well, so i'm not the only one.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

Europe skiing is... different. Lift lines are chaos. Actually, forget the concept of a line. It's a horde of people being pushy.

They don't ski all day there either. They get out... eventually. And there is always time for a long lunch and another espresso.

I'm good at pushing my way through the lines but that's a good time. Mike will really like not skiing all day thing, he only skis til lunch. I can't wait to see what Italy is like my only regret is that I really don't have time to go see the Ferrari factory as it's no where near venice or cortina.

We're up to 32 participants. Space has been reserved. At this point all additional registrations will be on a case-by-case basis subject to availability. The hotel is nearly full.

I just updated the group forums with new flight information. We've switched from Lufthansa to Air France due to the larger group. I've received requests for spots for a few more people so I'm looking to secure additional hotel space. Right now the hotel in Cortina is the limiting factor.

We've completely filled the first hotel, so I am looking to get space at a second hotel. It will come at a higher cost, TBD but quoted approximately $245 more for single occupancy. I only have room for up to 7 more people before the bus fills.

Is anyone interested in jumping on last minute? I have a spot for a male, double occupancy that has opened up. Cost is $2,535 for:

• Roundtrip airfare Boston to Venice on Air France (Jan 26 - Feb 5)
  • Roundtrip private ground transfers Venice to Cortina (about 2 hours)
  • 7 nights lodging at the Hotel Olimpia in downtown Cortina, 500 meters from the lifts
  • 2 nights lodging at the 4-star Hotel Bonvecchiati is in Calle Goldoni, just a 3-minute walk from Saint Mark’s Square and 5 minutes from the Rialto Bridge
  • Daily breakfast at the hotel
  • 5 of 5 day Dolomite Super Ski Pass