Can you manual?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. If so, for how long?

• Yes, I can manual for miles
    • Yes, but just long enough to clear an obstacle
    • What's a manual?

So, I've been trying to learn how to manual for more than a bike length and I have to say I'm not getting any better. I looped out earlier this season and ended up going down hard on my a** and bending my derailleur hanger. Until yesterday, I've been pretty quick to get on the rear brake because of that. Yesterday, I was getting a bit bolder until I started to loop out again. I grabbed a fingerful of rear brake and ended up pitching myself OTB ¬¬ Now I've got a serious case of road rash on my elbow and knee. In retrospect, I should have been wearing my pads. Can you manual for any significant distance? If so, how long did it take you to get proficient?  

I'll be honest...I don't fully understand the difference between a manual and a wheelie. Is it that you pedal into a wheelie, but you coast into a manual? I guess the point is that a manual sets you up for a drop without adding speed?

I'll be honest...I don't fully understand the difference between a manual and a wheelie. Is it that you pedal into a wheelie, but you coast into a manual? I guess the point is that a manual sets you up for a drop without adding speed?

Exactly. Manual means no pedaling but you use your body position to lift the front wheel. It's the foundation move for proper bunny hops, jumping, and like you said, drops when you don't have a lot of speed. Plus they look really cool

Sent from my XT1080 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Stumbled on this video.  It's not really a how-to, but it gives a realistic sense of the time/work/effort that needs to be put in.  For me at least it reduces the frustration factor, because I realize I have to stop thinking that I can learn something in 2 minutes.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2018 at 5:02 PM, Cannonballer said:

I realize I have to stop thinking that I can learn something in 2 minutes.

Agreed, and finding the time to just focus on a skill like this is hard to do. I'd rather just ride.

• Like 1

Ever since the start of this thread I've probably watched 200 different manual instructional videos about 30x each. This is my favorite, because it separates the practical application from the 'trick'.

• Like 1

It's interesting how he breaks it down into a "trail" manual and a "street" manual. I have the trail manual down good enough for trail riding. What I want to do is the street manual, but that continues to elude me.