Sign in to follow this  

Been there before. And walked out 3 miles.  

I am pulling BB this afternoon and cleaning since I am getting some creaking on the power stroke.  Made my own press fit removal tool this morning at work and picked up some all thread, washers and nuts for the install.

1 hour ago, Puck it said:

I am pulling BB this afternoon and cleaning since I am getting some creaking on the power stroke.

Hmm. I've noticed some creaking in mine too. Is it a pretty straightforward job? These guys seem to have some pretty reasonably priced tools compared to Park Tools.

$35 bucks for a press

press-7-red.600px.jpg

I have never done a press fit before.  Other bike was threaded.  You need a removal tool too. Buy this below and and you get the bushings for install.   Just get some all thread for $5 and nuts.  It does not look to hard from the videos.

Image result for park bbt-90.3 press-fit bottom bracket tool

2017 Summer of Destruction continues :( I jumped to flat on a step down on my DH bike and broke the shaft on my rear shock. The good news is, I rode it out. The bad news is, SRAM doesn't list the size of my shock as a product any longer (Rockshox Kage RC 267x89). I can't even find any for sale on-line. I saw one on Pinkbike, but the seller hasn't responded. LBS is getting in touch with SRAM to see if they can just get the parts to repair mine. If they can't, I'm going to contact YT to see if they'll sell me one since they are still spec'ing them on the Tues. Worst case scenario is I'll have to upgrade to a Vivid R2C, but it ain't cheap.

My turn for the rear derailleur spaghetti.  Hit a rock coming downhill.  It was me or the rock.  So the rock took out the derailleur.  It also  took a piece of carbon fiber by the bolt for the hanger.  Chain looks okay and the rim looks okay.  It bent right up into the spokes.  JRA in Medford has the same one XT Deore M8000 for $100.   They want to look the rear swing arm damage to be safe. You can see the chunk by hanger bolt.  It is the white area  

IMG_0739.JPG

Edited by Puck it

Carbon fiber is ok not issue. Just put clear and flat black on it to seal it. The new derailleur is on and new chain. I may have bent the chain guide too. It is really close to frame now.  Ordered a new one. 

Found more damage.  Chain guide was bent up towards swing arm.   I am having issues with the fron derailleur now.     I can't stop it from rubbing the chain on the small fron sprocket.  Not the sides. It is the bottom of the chain. It is a direct mount derailleur and adjusted as far down as I can without hitting large sprocket.  

Found more damage.  Chain guide was bent up towards swing arm.   I am having issues with the fron derailleur now.     I can't stop it from rubbing the chain on the small fron sprocket.  Not the sides. It is the bottom of the chain. It is a direct mount derailleur and adjusted as far down as I can without hitting large sprocket.  

Does it only happen when you're in the smallest Sprocket in the rear? That's not that uncommon. You may just not be able to use that gear (small: small). Which isn't really much of a loss.
This is why 1x setups are more and more appealing. No more frigging front derailleurs!

35 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

Does it only happen when you're in the smallest Sprocket in the rear? That's not that uncommon. You may just not be able to use that gear (small: small). Which isn't really much of a loss.
This is why 1x setups are more and more appealing. No more frigging front derailleurs!

No.  It happens thru out the cassette until the sixth sprocket.  It never did it before because I am usually on the small front sprocket in the woods. The drivetrain is a 38-24.

On 8/25/2017 at 10:03 AM, Cannonballer said:

I went from 2x10 to 1x11 this year and can say I have not missed the other 9 speeds. There really hasn't been one time this season where I wished I had an extra chain ring.

I went from 2x10 to 1x11 this year and can say I have not missed the other 9 speeds. There really hasn't been one time this season where I wished I had an extra chain ring.

That makes a lot of sense. Right now both of my bikes are running almost flawlessly through all gears. So I'm working under the don't-fix-what-ain't-broke philosophy. But as soon as I have a hint of trouble I'll be switching to a 1x setup. Probably will be asking for advice when that time comes.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:39 AM, 2manyhobbies said:

I bought a bike this year that has a 1x11 set up.  For the most part I am happy with it.  The only time I miss the extra ring up front is when I'm riding on roads in order to get to the trails, but it really isn't a big deal.  (Although there was one time this year that I really DID miss it - I was the pace setter for a kids bike race, and the course was the dirt round around the park.  I had to peddle my ass off in order to stay ahead of the older kids that were riding 3x's!  No big ring up front = no top end...).

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:32 PM, Puck it said:

My turn for the rear derailleur spaghetti.  Hit a rock coming downhill.  It was me or the rock.  So the rock took out the derailleur.  It also  took a piece of carbon fiber by the bolt for the hanger.  Chain looks okay and the rim looks okay.  It bent right up into the spokes.  JRA in Medford has the same one XT Deore M8000 for $100.   They want to look the rear swing arm damage to be safe. You can see the chunk by hanger bolt.  It is the white area  

IMG_0739.JPG

DAMN...!  How long of a walk did you have after that?!