Weatherman

The car thread

Am I the only one who looks at all this infotainment dev work and gets a flashback to airline seats?   

50lbs of electronic gear per airline seat was supposed to be the customer driven idea - and it meant deferring safety measures like self-extinguishing tanks - and now it is 50lbs of completely surpassed, obsolete money waste per seat per airplane. 

1 hour ago, Meh said:

Am I the only one who looks at all this infotainment dev work and gets a flashback to airline seats?   

50lbs of electronic gear per airline seat was supposed to be the customer driven idea - and it meant deferring safety measures like self-extinguishing tanks - and now it is 50lbs of completely surpassed, obsolete money waste per seat per airplane. 

I can't think of what I am exchanging here though. The infotainment prevents me from looking down at my phone for directions or to see the song. When your using Carplay, obsolescence is not really an issue, at least as long as Bluetooth and USB connectors are a thing. Assume andriod auto is the same as carplay. 

No, you're not. You're in good company. I would opt out completely but it's hard to do. My comments in this thread, and my opinions in general, are based on the reality that it's almost impossible to opt out. And if you're stuck with it, there should be at least some bare minimum standards for performance, which are surprisingly hard to come by.

I consider myself fairly tech savvy. Yet in the past 3 years ALL of my most serious "near miss" driving experiences have been caused by the tech in my cars.

• Like 1

Since my days of long commutes are done for now I'm going back to a truck. I really wanted a Tundra but they are hard to come by and I was surprised how much smaller the crew cab was than other trucks. The amount of room the F150 crew cabs have is incredible but I'm leaning Silverado/Sierra. 

Went to look at the Mazda cx-5 for the wife today. Down sizing a little from the Chevy Traverse but still plenty of room. It road nice and had enough get up and go for her. AWD as well. They don't look as good with a roof rack as without but we need one for the skis, bikes and kayak.

On 6/29/2018 at 8:12 AM, Flying Yeti said:

Since my days of long commutes are done for now I'm going back to a truck. I really wanted a Tundra but they are hard to come by and I was surprised how much smaller the crew cab was than other trucks. The amount of room the F150 crew cabs have is incredible but I'm leaning Silverado/Sierra. 

I love my Silverado. The biggest surprise to me was how well the 4x4 system works. Hands down better than my previous F-150. The automatic 4x4 is seamless. And having an automatic locking rear differential is nice too.