Weatherman

Introducing "Chasing Snow"

FYI your "chasing snow" hyperlink above redirects to a hiking report about Mt. Toby. And the full link redirects to the 2017-18 Gathering thread.

I haven't quite found the actual weather blog yet, but I look forward to seeing it in action! This should be a draw for sure.

5 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

$%!!@#$%^

Going to "fix" this. With my fist. This place sucks. What rookie built it?!?!?

Status update: That chasing snow link works fine in my browser. Shows as a broken link in the iOS app. Goes to Mt Tom as reported in Android. Makes me ANGRY!

The second link works fine in my browser and iOS app, but is busted in Android. Tickets are outbound to the vendor. Angry, angry tickets.

From the Android app you can browse to it using the menu and going to the link under the new Weather category. I tested it and it works on the beta version of the app that I have.

Someone suggested creating a thread per blog post. Do people think that would be too verbose? That is my first thought.

Call me "someone", but my thought is that people will want to discuss these blogs in the forum. I think it will be a highly popular feature. All other topics have been discussed ad-nauseam and tend to get stale. The weather is always changing, and each weather system is unique, which lends itself to new and relevant discussions.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

2 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

Being a weather weenie I would love to discuss it in the forums. Some set ups favor certain mountains, etc.

Counter-proposal: rather than post-by-post threads, how about one per "event"?

• Like 1

Based on a request from @Los I am to draft a post on the impacts of climate change on skiing in the Northeast. Braces yourselves.

It's publication may be interrupted if anything interesting happens in the weather world, but it looks pretty boring out there for a while.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Based on a request from @Los I am to draft a post on the impacts of climate change on skiing in the Northeast. Braces yourselves.

It's publication may be interrupted if anything interesting happens in the weather world, but it looks pretty boring out there for a while.

Look forward to it!

Big announcement. Sort of.

Instead of posting to the hard to find blog, I am going to be making future posts as a dedicated thread in the forum. You can filter for them using the "chasing snow" tag.

• Like 2

This is awesome and I like the per event idea. 

I love looking at these charts but I have no idea what they are saying. With some effort and studying could I become of a novice at reading NOAA charts and see if snow is coming? I have an engineering background and I think I could give a crash course in some areas to most people. Is that feasible with weather?

11 hours ago, StraightSkis said:

This is awesome and I like the per event idea. 

I love looking at these charts but I have no idea what they are saying. With some effort and studying could I become of a novice at reading NOAA charts and see if snow is coming? I have an engineering background and I think I could give a crash course in some areas to most people. Is that feasible with weather?

Sure. I've thought a bit about how to make these charts more accessible. By far the most confusing chart you'll see in my posts are the Skew-T. There's just a whole lot going on in the diagram, but they are super useful. It takes hours to learn whats going on.