Sign in to follow this  
Weatherman

September 2017 weather discussion

I may have jinxed it by pushing the day I have to get my boots from Richelson up from October 16th to early October  just in case we got lucky...

I may have jinxed it by pushing the day I have to get my boots from Richelson up from October 16th to early October  just in case we got lucky...
Don't worry, I have to be gone for all of October on a work trip. That should garuntee some early openings
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jully said:

Back and forth? I'm not sure I see the forth right now. Looks persistently warm for the first half of the month.

13 minutes ago, Puck it said:

How's the week of 10/9 looking?  I will be in ACK for the week.  Warmth would be fine.

Things are looking on the warm side at this point. That's a while out, but the pattern looks persistent.

6 hours ago, BumpOut said:

I would happily settle for a late Oct kickoff to the season if it means no big warm-ups once it gets started.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Agreed! 2015-2016 was the worst in this regard (like 10/16 opening and then everything went to hell until January, where it entered purgatory)

37 minutes ago, MEtoVTskier said:

So, nothings changed much in the long range from what I can see. Above average temps and lower than normal precip?

You got it. Very persistent ridging in the east. There are intermittent hints of a backdoor coldfront wanting to come in from the Maritime provinces, but those are trickier with the warm water temperatures this time of year.

• Like 1

It's been pretty dry lately. My lawn is showing it. According to my weather station in CT, just 1.6" of rain over the last month. And the majority of that was in early September. VT did better with just under 3.5". But some of that was very brief, but very heavy downpours. 

Has anyone else noticed the foliage is weird this year? It got an early start with that cool late-summer weather. Then the last couple of weeks of hot, humid weather stopped it in its tracks. I have lots of green and brown leaves falling, but no color. It's as if fall had an abortion.

5 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Has anyone else noticed the foliage is weird this year? It got an early start with that cool late-summer weather. Then the last couple of weeks of hot, humid weather stopped it in its tracks. I have lots of green and brown leaves falling, but no color. It's as if fall had an abortion.

Been seeing a lot of articles about that on the news lately.  They are mostly attributing it to recent dry (vs) warm weather. 

1 hour ago, Weatherman said:

36 minutes ago, BumpOut said:

The warm, dry weather will certainly put a damper on the early foliage. Hopefully things change...

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

Definitely noticed this. I think the dry spell absolutely hurts the foliage. Lots still green around Boston!

2 hours ago, LiquidFeet said:

Green pine needles are falling and covering the woodland trails here on the north shore of Boston.  I've never seen that before.

Any explanation? I've never seen that before.

On 9/30/2017 at 5:35 PM, Glenn said:

Yes, strange foliage. Last weekend in VT, there were a lot of leaves down. This weekend, less leaves. Amazing how the warmer temps effect things. 

noticed that last weekend as well, color seemed kind of muted too ! not much for bright colors still on the trees !

7 hours ago, ABV said:

noticed that last weekend as well, color seemed kind of muted too ! not much for bright colors still on the trees !

I've noticed a lot of leaves down have spots on them. It looks like some sort of fungus.

Yes, the colors were definitely a bit muted in VT this weekend. There's an interesting mix of green trees, barren trees, and trees that just don't have a lot of color to them. I did get a few nice shots of some color this weekend though...

DSC_0380.thumb.jpg.05b7a436e6e7f8caf3c1132d388afa82.jpg

DSC_0586.thumb.jpg.482a2f765d56da0c6480d6769664ab9d.jpgDSC_0649.thumb.jpg.0df919ada1d2c82c0343441c73a00b30.jpgDSC_0673.thumb.jpg.37ef0fd18bf6f5ca7a0107ed3d914226.jpgDSC_0770.thumb.jpg.324bce996bb1db394457385dcdb0ebf8.jpg

• Like 1