Sign in to follow this  
Weatherman

Swix EVO Pro Edger

I just picked up the Swix EVO Pro Edger and tried it out. After two hours of work, I've managed to sharpen exactly one pair of skis and properly mess up the edge on a second. I have some feedback you might be interested in.

IMG_1500.thumb.jpg.ecc111389fdb2d732469b85a9c4af413.jpg

The most important piece of advice I can give: practice on your rock skis. Seriously. This thing takes some practice and you will make mistakes. My rocks skis and I are going to have to spend some quality time with files and stones to sort out the damage I have done.

My second caveat: before you use this on a pair of skis, check to see if the machine with clear the brakes. That is how I got myself into trouble. I've discovered that freeride skis with flat-mounted bindings DO NOT work with this tool. The side guide is too deep and will get hung up on the brake. I'll be tuning these skis by hand, and I have some side damage to repair.

IMG_1504.thumb.jpg.026bf0d4bdf94833f0a66d1fe69dc5ed.jpg

But the race bindings, demo bindings, and system bindings all seem to be okay -- but some just barely!

IMG_1503.thumb.jpg.cea867b4a8301af02673e987fdbbb272.jpg

Another interesting bit... the cord is way too short. You have to mount the transformer just under the center of the tuning bench. It's annoying, but not a show-stopper. I used a elastic band (brake retainer) to hang it under the center piece of my vice.

IMG_1502.thumb.jpg.b7ff0d9ee5c8b6e53a0d79915cc2ab85.jpg

Before sharpening with the tool, you seriously need to plane back the sidewall. Seriously. Get with the times and save it clean. It's import to keep it neat, boys.

So far I have yet to manage to set a bevel with the tool. You definitely can only do weekly touch-ups with the included fine disk, and only after knocking off the burrs. I'm going to spend more time with the coarse and then medium stones to set some bevels. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm getting a bit better at using the machine. I'm still not clear that the "course" stone does much of anything. For me so far the medium stone has been the workhorse. I'm getting dialed in a shaving the sidewalls, and but am not sure what to do with the K2 plastic cap construction on the tips and tails of my Rictors. It does not plane well, and the machine does not like it.

9 hours ago, ABV said:

Woah that sucker is $$$, Ill be doing it by hand for a while !

I got it cheaper than that on a pro deal. I'm not sure if they have these yet at the Swix outlet in Haverhill, but they usually have good prices there.

It's obvious from your photos what you are doing wrong. No beer! I've never seen a proper tuning bench without a beer on it. And that's just for tuning.  Binding mounts require completely different materials.

IMG_20150227_230016.jpg

Edited by Cannonballer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cannonballer said:

Me too....Leaving tomorrow for a month at sea!

3 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

It's obvious from your photos what you are doing wrong. No beer! I've never seen a proper tuning bench without a beer on it. And that's just for tuning.  Binding mounts require completely different materials.

IMG_20150227_230016.jpg

Nice Bench ! I think I have something similar !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Weatherman said:

I got it cheaper than that on a pro deal. I'm not sure if they have these yet at the Swix outlet in Haverhill, but they usually have good prices there.

it seems pricey but hey add up tunes for your complete quiver per multiple times per season and Id guess its not too bad !

and being able to do it when you want....... nice !

3 minutes ago, ABV said:

Nice Bench ! I think I have something similar !

haha, yeah I think you just might!  Here's the first pic I ever took of it.  Already had the most basic tools.....

IMG_20141101_192800.jpg

7 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:
haha, yeah I think you just might!  Here's the first pic I ever took of it.  Already had the most basic tools.....

IMG_20141101_192800.thumb.jpg.595ac11c672c55da70e59f22e58ec8e3.jpg

160e4ef58115ace0da18fd278ab6346d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

my not in season pic....notice no beer on the shelf !

Edited by ABV
  • Like 1

FWIW.  In the pic I posted above you can see my ski brake retainer.  I traced my boot sole onto a piece of 1x3 and cut it out.  I click the wood into the bindings and find that it keeps the brakes out of the way better than straps or bungees. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ABV said:

Ill be doing it by hand for a while !

1 hour ago, Cannonballer said:

Me too....Leaving tomorrow for a month at sea!

xDxDxD

1 hour ago, Cannonballer said:

FWIW.  In the pic I posted above you can see my ski brake retainer.  I traced my boot sole onto a piece of 1x3 and cut it out.  I click the wood into the bindings and find that it keeps the brakes out of the way better than straps or bungees. 

I was actually just thinking about this yesterday! I now regret throwing away our old boots.

On 10/3/2017 at 10:27 PM, Weatherman said:

I'm getting a bit better at using the machine. I'm still not clear that the "course" stone does much of anything. For me so far the medium stone has been the workhorse. I'm getting dialed in a shaving the sidewalls, and but am not sure what to do with the K2 plastic cap construction on the tips and tails of my Rictors. It does not plane well, and the machine does not like it.

After exchanging a few emails with Swix, I think they may have a serious problem with defective or mislabeled stones. I think the course stone they sent me was either blank or really an extra-fine stone with the wrong label. They said they would send me a return authorization, but I should send it directly to someone specific and not general return department. For a week now they have been silent and no return shipping info has been sent. Something is not right here. I wondering if they walked into the warehouse and pulled some stones only to realize they have a larger problem than just me.

I got the replacement coarse disc today, and they included a free Extra Fine too. Kind of them.

I was told that the coarse stone I sent in was "glazed" and that I should be careful to plane the sidewalls. I'm going to have to be doubly careful about this. I'm still not sure how to handle shaving cap construction sides on my skis with the mixed cap-wall construction. Also no word on how to clean the stone after it gets clogged with sidewall, or if it can be done.

2 hours ago, MadRussian said:

wow this is expensive toy/tool.

I think this "little" machine would be much better option

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WINTERSTEIGER-1500-MCR-grinding-machine/162684281820?hash=item25e0bd23dc:g:ivQAAOSwWlNZxobo

Huh. I am seriously thinking about that grinder. Anybody an electrician who wants to wire this up for me if I do it?

10 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Huh. I am seriously thinking about that grinder. Anybody an electrician who wants to wire this up for me if I do it?

It should not be hard. Just needs a 220 connection it looks like from the plug.  I can help.  

1 hour ago, Puck it said:

It should not be hard. Just needs a 220 connection it looks like from the plug.  I can help.  

from looks of it. This is three phase motors. You will need a Rotary phase converter

little bit more complicated compared to single phase 220. Also you most likely going to need 6" stone

it's not difficult job to wire it ... even put together phase converter yourself.

I done myself to wire my Montana machine...

PM me if u will buy it

montana_base_grinder 001.jpg

I tried using my edger for the first time of the season this weekend. No dice. The power supply is blown. Confirmed that it is the power supply by stopping by a local shop and trying out their power supply with my edger. I sent Swix an email asking how I find a new one. Sad!