Weatherman

October 2017 weather discussion

Looks like a nice marketing opportunity for most ski areas this morning. Now we just have to survive a week of nearly perfect fall weather before the real snowmaking window arrives. The overnight of Wednesday 10/25 - Thursday 10/26 may be the first real production opportunity. Obviously we'll have to keep an eye on the details. Being over a week away, everything is subject to change. Until then please enjoy a series of dry days with highs in the lower 70s.

Hopefully the ground can cool off a bit ahead of this potential snowmaking window!

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

9 hours ago, abubob said:

Hmmm

Yes, there is a correlation of warm falls to better ski seasons. No, it has nothing to do with El Nino. Correlation is no guarantee, so don't go buy those powder skis on that account.

13 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Correlation is no guarantee, so don't go buy those powder skis on that account.

There certainly are no guarantees with the weather. But I've noticed this correlation before. Lately it seems when we have a super cold snap with snow in October the pattern becomes over amplified and we end up on the wrong side of most storms. A warmer October is just the other side of the coin. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Besides, I already own a pair of powder skis.

Edited by abubob

I would like to believe that things will average out.  A warm dry fall will hopefully be followed by.....!  

(I don't want to jinx it!)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, deadheadskier said:

Snowmaking ponds getting a good refresh right now, that will eventually be good for something right? Lol

Sent from my XT1565 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Well thats a positive spin on the weather ! Certainly cant hurt to have them full, for if and when it gets cold enough to use  it !

off to a slow start, hopefully there's balance at the end of the season !

45 minutes ago, ABV said:

Well thats a positive spin on the weather ! Certainly cant hurt to have them full, for if and when it gets cold enough to use  it !

off to a slow start, hopefully there's balance at the end of the season !

And there is a lot more to come. It's going to get wetter before it gets cold. On the positive side, this rain definitely represents a pattern change for those who were unhappy.

1 minute ago, Weatherman said:

And there is a lot more to come. It's going to get wetter before it gets cold. On the positive side, this rain definitely represents a pattern change for those who were unhappy.

Looks like it will dry out for the weekend right ? hope it starts to cool down soon, Im getting unbearable to live with......my wife cant wait for ski season to kick in so I stop complaining !

3 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Except it makes it difficult to mtb when trails are f'ing soaked!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, ABV said:

Looks like it will dry out for the weekend right ? hope it starts to cool down soon, Im getting unbearable to live with......my wife cant wait for ski season to kick in so I stop complaining !

Yes, the weekend will be dry until Sunday evening. After that...

I've been considering what to say about Sunday night into Monday. Certainly not ski weather. Definitely could rearrange the lawn furniture.