MEtoVTskier

Thoughts on the Monday the 30th storm?

Supposed similarities to the 91 "Perfect" storm, Pressure expected down to 982mb, to be considered a "Sou'Easter" not a "Nor'Easter"?

We're supposed to be expecting 50-60mph winds inland Maine...

Edited by MEtoVTskier

What I remember about the 91 storm was that it dumped 10 times the amount of rain that Hurricane Bob in the same year.

Here and now after the recent rain the ground is saturated and with a fast moving storm that could pack a lot of wind and rain into a 24 hour period might be bad news. Shades of Sandy for VT and NH. I'm hoping it won't be as bad as the forecasters are making it out to be.

A lot of cold air behind all this. Maybe it'll stick around.

Edited by abubob

I'm no Weatherman but this doesn't look anything like the '91 storm. We are looking at a very, very short punch of winds on Sunday into Monday, with a very quick switch to westerlies that pushes it all away. In '91 we got hammered with prolonged east winds that stacked things up like crazy. I watched 20-30' waves wipe out houses and curl up pavement for several days in 91. The National Guard locked down our town and we lost entire neighborhoods. With this coming storm it looks like I have to cancel some work on the water Monday but expect to be back on the boat Tuesday.

Sent from my XT1650 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

I lost power last night around 8:30pm. It was back on by 10:00pm, but then went out again overnight. I'd estimate about half of the Merrimack Valley, maybe more, is without power. In my neighborhood in Chelmsford, MA several large trees are down and at least a couple roads closed. My office in Burlington, MA has power so I think I'll be spending more time here!

24 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

I lost power last night around 8:30pm. It was back on by 10:00pm, but then went out again overnight. I'd estimate about half of the Merrimack Valley, maybe more, is without power. In my neighborhood in Chelmsford, MA several large trees are down and at least a couple roads closed. My office in Burlington, MA has power so I think I'll be spending more time here!

Boston wasn't terribly impacted by the storm, but some of the rivers are REAL high.

Saw Bartlett, NH got hit by some serious flooding.

6 hours ago, Jully said:

Boston wasn't terribly impacted by the storm, but some of the rivers are REAL high.

Saw Bartlett, NH got hit by some serious flooding.

6 feet over flood stage. Rt 302 is not passable past Margarita Grill. Was sent these pictures.

IMG_1607.JPG.3a218f62d4dcfc0d0ad3ae2cd82eaa7e.JPGIMG_1606.JPG.b6878aedc6d4d6c63eb4f3ab675e40ff.JPGIMG_1604.JPG.948ffe0ca07a072984300f86ca89611c.JPG

• Like 1

Rte 175 and 3 in Plymouth around noon Monday. At 8am 175 was high and dry. By noon it was under 5 feet of water. The Pemi was near 19 feet at 5pm

Sent from my iPad using Northeast Mountain Sports

Pemi flooding is about as bad as I have seen it in my 10+ years here (though it has been worse a few times before that). I think there was only one other storm that was worse for flooding during that time. Baker almost shut down Route 3 north out of Plymouth at the bridge and Tenney Mountain Highway. I thought I might have to go up and around through Bristol to get home to Ashland but thankfully the Baker has stayed just below the Route 3 bridge and TMH. Who knows what it will look like in the morning, though. News has a house floating down the Baker, yikes.

Edited by thesnowway

We received about 4" of rain from this in CT. Really strong wind as well. Many schools were cancelled yesterday and a handful today as well. Thankfully, our power stayed on the entire time. 

Looks like SoVT had about 3.5" of rain according to my weather station. About 1/3 of that fell yesterday morning. Wind wasn't as bad, but I do know there was some flooding up there according to some updates I saw FB posted by the Brattleboro Reformer. 

11 hours ago, thesnowway said:

Pemi flooding is about as bad as I have seen it in my 10+ years here (though it has been worse a few times before that). I think there was only one other storm that was worse for flooding during that time. Baker almost shut down Route 3 north out of Plymouth at the bridge and Tenney Mountain Highway. I thought I might have to go up and around through Bristol to get home to Ashland but thankfully the Baker has stayed just below the Route 3 bridge and TMH. Who knows what it will look like in the morning, though. News has a house floating down the Baker, yikes.

Irene in 2011 was worse for Plymouth but I don't think the Baker ever got this high.

Updated on the MWV... West Side Rd has reopened. Double digit percentage of the valley still has no power.

Route 302 in Crawford Notch between Bartlett and Bretton Woods is closed due to the Dry River Bridge being washed out.

Route 2 in Shelburne is also closed from Gorham to the Maine border due to a bridge washout. Multiple roads in Berlin are closed. Route 16 by Dolly Copp campground was damaged.

Damage reported to be comparable to Irene in some places, and worse in others.

2 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Updated on the MWV... West Side Rd has reopened. Double digit percentage of the valley still has no power.

Route 302 in Crawford Notch between Bartlett and Bretton Woods is closed due to the Dry River Bridge being washed out.

Route 2 in Shelburne is also closed from Gorham to the Maine border due to a bridge washout. Multiple roads in Berlin are closed. Route 16 by Dolly Copp campground was damaged.

Damage reported to be comparable to Irene in some places, and worse in others.

Heard Carabassett Valley ME got hit with worse damage than Irene (given Irene wasn't as bad up there as it was further south and west). Couple bridges washed out/gone in CV too.

2 hours ago, Jully said:

In Bethel ME this afternoon.

Most condos at SR didn't lose power, so I'm assuming the main mountain didn't either.

BethelFlood.jpg

I take it the snowmaking pond is full.