Weatherman

November 2017 weather discussion

4 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Will post an update tonight (or tomorrow if I get distracted), but we look solid for the first tracks of the season this week! My prediction from October 25 is on track to verify.

Am considering what to say. What do people want to read? more than just "hey, cold is here!"? Make requests.

9 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Am considering what to say. What do people want to read? more than just "hey, cold is here!"? Make requests.

Updated outlook for the next week or so and discussing any geographic variability in the cold would be solid (though I'm assuming this is what you were planning on doing). Also, maybe explaning why the cold is here/what changed and bringing in a bit of the scientific explanation could be cool. 

3 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Your Monday evening update. Forecast has trended colder. We're on the money!

Exciting exciting! If opening day is any day but Thursday, I'm there. Haven't skied on a resort's opening day in years so I'm hyped.

Any word on the storm Thursday night into Friday morning? I've seen anywhere from 0-3 inches so far, not a lot but could make a welcome addition to some of the opening days at the northern mountains.

Been watching the system modeled for next Sat-Sun for the past several days. Granted it is still a week out but upslope potential behind it looks like it could be one of those deals like early last year. 

5 minutes ago, LItoCOtoBOS said:

Dumb question here...What is the NAO index and why do I care?

Not a PHd here, so I won't be offended if you explain it as if I am an 8 year old.

NAO is North Atlantic Oscillation index. It's defined as the difference between the Azores and Iceland. Why do we care? A negative NAO is strongly correlated with cold air and winter storms in New England.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MimersG said:

Anyone been checking the weekend forecast? it looks like northern mountains may eek out on the right side of the rain snow line barely?

Just barely sounds right, maybe. Going to be a real mixed bag if at all. I'm pessimistic. Once we survive this hot mess, cold air should be plentiful on the back side.

53 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Just barely sounds right, maybe. Going to be a real mixed bag if at all. I'm pessimistic. Once we survive this hot mess, cold air should be plentiful on the back side.

It would be nice up here if it stayed just cold enough to get that possible 3-6 inches instead of the rain, I can dream.

Jay Peak top forecast fingers crossed 

image.png.2d4851dcf562800b072a1550d3b03723.png

Edited by MimersG

2 hours ago, MimersG said:

It would be nice up here if it stayed just cold enough to get that possible 3-6 inches instead of the rain, I can dream.

Jay Peak top forecast fingers crossed 

image.png.2d4851dcf562800b072a1550d3b03723.png

What website is this screenshot from?  

3 hours ago, Weatherman said:

I can live with this.  At this point in the season, snow would be nice - but widespread cold is even better!