Jump to content
Weatherman

November 2017 weather discussion

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, BumpOut said:

I can live with this.  At this point in the season, snow would be nice - but widespread cold is even better!

Still, an upper mountain powder day Sunday would completely make my week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jully said:

Good stuff about the cold for next week! Should be a good T-day weekend!

Snowmaking definitely looks to run "ahead of schedule" for that weekend!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a room booked and non-refundable Liftopia tickets for Mount Snow this weekend. It's a five-hour drive, and I'm 80% leaning toward just absorbing everything as a sunk cost and staying home. But there's 20% of me that says what the heck, just go;  I'll get some skiing in at least.  I dunno. Sunday looks like it might be decent. Saturday: more of an adventure in Gore-Tex.

What do others think? Do the drive and just roll with whatever the weather brings or stay home?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

I have a room booked and non-refundable Liftopia tickets for Mount Snow this weekend. It's a five-hour drive, and I'm 80% leaning toward just absorbing everything as a sunk cost and staying home. But there's 20% of me that says what the heck, just go;  I'll get some skiing in at least.  I dunno. Sunday looks like it might be decent. Saturday: more of an adventure in Gore-Tex.

What do others think? Do the drive and just roll with whatever the weather brings or stay home?

Id Roll the dice ! Still a weekend away and still a possibility of at least one decent day......Id go !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

I have a room booked and non-refundable Liftopia tickets for Mount Snow this weekend. It's a five-hour drive, and I'm 80% leaning toward just absorbing everything as a sunk cost and staying home. But there's 20% of me that says what the heck, just go;  I'll get some skiing in at least.  I dunno. Sunday looks like it might be decent. Saturday: more of an adventure in Gore-Tex.

What do others think? Do the drive and just roll with whatever the weather brings or stay home?

Sunday should be nice, and if the forecast holds as it is now you may have a few wet free hours in the morning Sat, it depends if your the type of person to drive 5 hours each way just to ski regardless of the conditions or not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MimersG said:

it depends if your the type of person to drive 5 hours each way just to ski regardless of the conditions or not.

Ha, I don't know whether I'm that type of person. I may have to do it and find out! :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Ha, I don't know whether I'm that type of person. I may have to do it and find out! :)

It also depends if this is day 1 or not as if it is most of us would drive that 5 hours just for first turns of the season Sunday (not that I wont be skiing in the rain Sat anyway if its not pouring)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

I have a room booked and non-refundable Liftopia tickets for Mount Snow this weekend. It's a five-hour drive, and I'm 80% leaning toward just absorbing everything as a sunk cost and staying home. But there's 20% of me that says what the heck, just go;  I'll get some skiing in at least.  I dunno. Sunday looks like it might be decent. Saturday: more of an adventure in Gore-Tex.

What do others think? Do the drive and just roll with whatever the weather brings or stay home?

Always go for it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MimersG said:

It also depends if this is day 1 or not as if it is most of us would drive that 5 hours just for first turns of the season Sunday (not that I wont be skiing in the rain Sat anyway if its not pouring)

Yep, it'll be day 1. And local skiing (Poconos) won't be available for another couple of weeks probably. Heck, if nothing else I'll get to listen to lots of podcasts on the drive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Yep, it'll be day 1. And local skiing (Poconos) won't be available for another couple of weeks probably. Heck, if nothing else I'll get to listen to lots of podcasts on the drive!

Urm I don't know the area well but is Big Boulder not in the Poconos anymore? Also BumpOut is right, I completely forgot about that bubble chair, that will make Sat morning drizzle skiable easy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, MimersG said:

Urm I don't know the area well but is Big Boulder not in the Poconos anymore?

I would go mountain biking rather than ski at BB early season honestly; they have one trail open and it's absolutely jam-packed with people waiting around to hit features. Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome that they make the effort to open so early; sincere kudos to them, and if I were a park skier, I'd be there.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

I would go mountain biking rather than ski at BB early season honestly; they have one trail open and it's absolutely jam-packed with people waiting around to hit features. Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome that they make the effort to open so early; sincere kudos to them, and if I were a park skier, I'd be there.   

True, at least some somewhat closer stuff are opening after this weekend

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SallyCat said:

I have a room booked and non-refundable Liftopia tickets for Mount Snow this weekend. It's a five-hour drive, and I'm 80% leaning toward just absorbing everything as a sunk cost and staying home. But there's 20% of me that says what the heck, just go;  I'll get some skiing in at least.  I dunno. Sunday looks like it might be decent. Saturday: more of an adventure in Gore-Tex.

What do others think? Do the drive and just roll with whatever the weather brings or stay home?

Go for it.

I was hesitant to get out last Sunday, just with it being so early in the season, but my wife encouraged me to go, and I'm really happy I did.

Even if you get up there and it's pouring rain, the conditions at the bar will be good.

I always feel happier and more relaxed in the mountains, so that might be where I'm coming from on this.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WJenness said:

Even if you get up there and it's pouring rain, the conditions at the bar will be good.

Roger that!

Thanks, everyone, I think I secretly wanted to go, just needed a little enthusiasm-bump. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Roger that!

Thanks, everyone, I think I secretly wanted to go, just needed a little enthusiasm-bump. 

Have a good time!

Post a Trip Report!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

 

I love the weekend specific analysis!

Looking at Sunday River, who will likely have the most terrain options in the Conway, the temperature never really drops below freezing all day Sunday and all Saturday night. At least any rain they get shouldn't freeze and the snow will just be a little denser and more buttery. Something I can actually enjoy from time to time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy Crap!!!! The wind looks like an issue at Kton from tomorrow thru early next week.

 

Tonight
Snow showers, mainly before 5am. Low around 21. Very windy, with a west wind 21 to 31 mph increasing to 31 to 41 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Friday
A 30 percent chance of snow showers before 7am. Mostly cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 27. Wind chill values as low as zero. Very windy, with a northwest wind 41 to 45 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Friday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 20. Windy, with a northwest wind 27 to 37 mph decreasing to 15 to 25 mph after midnight.
Saturday
A chance of rain and snow between noon and 1pm, then rain likely. Increasing clouds, with a high near 38. Windy, with a south wind 21 to 26 mph increasing to 34 to 39 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 49 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Saturday Night
Rain and snow, becoming all snow after 8pm. Low around 29. Strong and damaging winds, with a southwest wind 44 to 54 mph increasing to 55 to 65 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 80 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Sunday
A chance of rain and snow showers before 10am, then a chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36. Very windy, with a west wind 45 to 55 mph, with gusts as high as 65 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Sunday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 15. Very windy, with a west wind 47 to 49 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph.
Monday
A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 24. Very windy, with a west wind 39 to 44 mph decreasing to 32 to 37 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph.
Monday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 20. Very windy, with a west wind 36 to 41 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 36. Very windy, with a southwest wind 46 to 55 mph, with gusts as high as 70 mph.
Tuesday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. Strong and damaging winds, with a west wind 50 to 60 mph decreasing to 28 to 38 mph. Winds could gust as high as 75 mph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Puck it said:

Holy Crap!!!! The wind looks like an issue at Kton from tomorrow thru early next week.

 

Tonight
Snow showers, mainly before 5am. Low around 21. Very windy, with a west wind 21 to 31 mph increasing to 31 to 41 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Friday
A 30 percent chance of snow showers before 7am. Mostly cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 27. Wind chill values as low as zero. Very windy, with a northwest wind 41 to 45 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Friday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 20. Windy, with a northwest wind 27 to 37 mph decreasing to 15 to 25 mph after midnight.
Saturday
A chance of rain and snow between noon and 1pm, then rain likely. Increasing clouds, with a high near 38. Windy, with a south wind 21 to 26 mph increasing to 34 to 39 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 49 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Saturday Night
Rain and snow, becoming all snow after 8pm. Low around 29. Strong and damaging winds, with a southwest wind 44 to 54 mph increasing to 55 to 65 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 80 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Sunday
A chance of rain and snow showers before 10am, then a chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36. Very windy, with a west wind 45 to 55 mph, with gusts as high as 65 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Sunday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 15. Very windy, with a west wind 47 to 49 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph.
Monday
A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 24. Very windy, with a west wind 39 to 44 mph decreasing to 32 to 37 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph.
Monday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 20. Very windy, with a west wind 36 to 41 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 36. Very windy, with a southwest wind 46 to 55 mph, with gusts as high as 70 mph.
Tuesday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. Strong and damaging winds, with a west wind 50 to 60 mph decreasing to 28 to 38 mph. Winds could gust as high as 75 mph.

Sure, it'll be windy. But how wind prone are their lifts? And I do think some of the NWS grids are a bit overdone. They're pumping out hurricane force at Killington Peak at times. We're not talking about Wildcat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Mobile Apps available!

Please try our mobile apps for iOS and Android

×
×
  • Create New...